STI BASHING
  • Help

Thread: STI BASHING

STI BASHING

Why is it that everyone bashes sti's and implies that they are fuel guzzling slugs. I have a 505 gr with a rebuilt engine, wade 140 cam, and weber downdraught carby that gets along very nicely, I also have a bog stock 83 505 sti that goes like a shower of shit in a straight line, leaves the gr in its dust, and goes around corners better than any car i have ever driven, coupled with the BA7/5 the car is an absolute delight to drive, but I have to admit it is a bit harder to work on than the GR. My mate also has an sti, automatic version, same story, so you blokes must be driving sti's that have crook fuel pumps or injection systems, so go out and drive a good one and you will change your mind, and no I'm not offering!

Advertisement

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

I have no idea either way... I've never driven one, all I've ever done has been pull a gearbox out of a wreck to convert for use in a 504.

Seemingly they'd be a little better balanced with a little less weight over the front...

Bet your STi is the terror of McMillan's Road...

VIP Sponsor
    Peter,
    Every one I have driven has been a fuel guzzling slug.
    My wife had 2 cars over a period of 10 years and in spite of many attempts we never got them to run at all impressively, even after leaving the cars at acknowledged experts with the instructions to "just fix it,take your time". Probably the closest I came is when I ran one on LPG, this probably confirms your suggestion that the injection systems are faulty.
    On the other hand they will go forever.

The STI car is 10kg heavier than the GR, I don't know why.

I must take your car for a drive one day!

Graham Wallis

Hi Ray,
    How is it you have knowledge of McMillans rd, which I enjoy travelling on a regular basis, but a quick whip around the "Island road" is even more fun. Regards Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Oh that was just a trick...

I saw 'Cohuna' as your location, checked it out on the CD phone book and found that McMillan's road seemed to have a bit of length to it... and I just posted that. Nothing special... I don't even know where Cohuna is, though that would only take a minute to find out and I have no doubt I've been there... it's on the Murray Valley Hwy, and I travelled most of the length of it in the back seat of an FJ in 1956.

Guys
    I have an 86 505 GTi with LE injection,and something i have learned is that the throttle body should be thoroughly cleaned, air filter cleaned,plugs replaced or regapped, and the O2/mixture analysed on a modern tunescope, so that emissions are reduced to spec levels, esp. unburned hydrocarbons, CO, etc. That proves that your fuel is being burn to the max. for the best bang for your buck. Same with later 405's, 205's ,etc wink

PCOATES505:
    Why is it that everyone bashes sti's and implies that they are fuel guzzling slugs. I have a 505 gr with a rebuilt engine, wade 140 cam, and weber downdraught carby that gets along very nicely, I also have a bog stock 83 505 sti that goes like a shower of shit in a straight line, leaves the gr in its dust, !
    No wonder the STI goes better than your GR!! The Wade 140 cam is WAY too wild for a 2 litre with a single downdraught Weber. You're loosing all you're torque in the 1000-2500rpm range that you'd get with the mild Wade 112 cam, whilst producing very little extra power benefit up top, if any (because of the single carby).

I'm not sure what head mods you have, but a stock head will not work properly with a cam as wild as a Wade 140, no matter what the carburation. Please read this webpage on general engine tuning:

<a href="http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/gentune.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/gentune.htm</a>

This webpage on the Ford Pinto engine is also very interesting, because that engine has some of the same design faults as the Pug XN1 engine (ports too big, sharp corners, etc) and suffers from incorrect mods in the same way:

<a href="http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pinto.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pinto.htm</a>

If you set-up your GR as per what I've outlined in the 504GL thread, it will go atleast as well as a good STI, whilst still being much easier to work on.

Dave

<small>[ 27 December 2002, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Gus
    ... always meant to chip in here...

Every one I have driven has been a fuel guzzling slug.
    My STi (K-Jet mechanical) was pretty awful until I replaced the fuel distributor (mechanical device with pistons that open little slits to allow more or less fuel through... the pistons are pushed by the air flow meter.)

My new STI was pretty ordinary with it's electronic LE-2-Jetronic under WOT until I replaced the fuel pre-pump. These die all the time, and can be replaced with an ordinary sender unit (no more pump) as an alternative.

My post-replacement mechanical-injection STi still beat my electronic injection "GTi" though (and that car has new plugs, filter, thoroughly cleaned intake manifolds, etc.) Although the electronic injection car has not yet been put on an exhaust gas analyser.

STi was a lot rougher during warm-up though (something I never quite worked out.)

The problem with K-Jetronic is very few people know much about it, and the best advice I've ever heard is "If it goes, leave it alone till it breaks." Nevertheless, read up on it on the net (lots of sites for K-Jetronic Volvos and some for Porsche - 911s had K-Jet.)

Setting mixture on an exhaust gas analyser is a must. Also have an injection place check the fuel pressure, as regular pressure is even more important with K-Jetronic than with most injection systems.

whilst still being much easier to work on
    This is the best advice of the lot.

<small>[ 14 January 2003, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Gus ]</small>

1000+ Posts
    Gus, I had a couple of BMW's with K-Jet and I can't recommend enough the book 'Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management' by Charles O. Probst, a Robert Bentley book. It covers D-Jet to LH-Motronic and everything in between, and covers theory, testing, troubleshooting and performance/economy mods. Includes stacks of photos, diagrams and graphs, a great book and the best for ease of understanding. Just the troubleshooting and service section for Bosch CIS is 34 pages.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Gus
    Mmm, I nearly bought that one actually.

I don't have a K-Jetronic 505 any more, just my fully electronic MAF LE-2-Jetronic 505.

That is going to have a Megasquirt home-built programmmable EFI put in it as soon as I have the time and money (ie never.)

I think I will have to get the fuel distributor on my friends STi replaced. He spent $500 odd at Universe motors in Melbourne to get a rough idle sorted. They sonic cleaned the injectors and played with the mixture (I think) and it came back running like crap (ie a lot worse). When he took it back they simply it was old and to get used to it and raised the idle (too high in my opinion - makes the auto clunk a bit too much when engaged). Not overly impressed. Its still got its factory ignition leads on it after 16 years and 220000 km - is this likey to make much difference to running?

It also needs its struts replaced (bent. I know, its unusual, but the camber is way out and previous owners have had to put washers between the wheel and hub to stop the tyre rubbing on the strut!!) Is it a big deal to put GTi struts in with the vented disc brakes - ie will the different suspension settings mismatch the rear suspension settings too badly?

Gus
    I think I will have to get the fuel distributor on my friends STi replaced.
    Before you have the fuel distributor replaced, is the main fuel pump particularly noisy? If it is, the lifter pump might be dead. Try to hear it by sticking a bit of hose over your ear, and sticking the other end in the fuel filler neck. Alternatively, check for current flowing at the top of the pump (under the boot mat.)

At any rate, have the fuel pressure tested before you pay to replace anything. The test should not be too expensive (it involves T-ing a pressure sensor into the fuel line and measuring the pressure as someone revs the motor. Pressure should stay pretty much constant.)

Is it a big deal to put GTi struts in with the vented disc brakes - ie will the different suspension settings mismatch the rear suspension settings too badly?
    Firstly, I'm not sure how big the difference between GTi brakes and STi brakes is. I never noticed one.

Secondly, I think the swap (increased negative camber on the front) would probably be fine, although you might want to check with someone who's done it.

nJm
    Haakon:
    . He spent $500 odd at Universe motors in Melbourne to get a rough idle sorted. They sonic cleaned the injectors and played with the mixture (I think) and it came back running like crap (ie a lot worse). When he took it back they simply it was old and to get used to it and raised the idle
    Haakon, I used Universe Motors 3 times before catching on to the shonks they are. I've heard from one or two people that they are ok as long as you get the owner doing the work (Scott I think), but otherwise not always that great. Also, they over charged us for parts a while ago (compared to Regan's prices! eek! ). A few people have recommeneded me to Matthew Ross and Justin Fischer who share a workshop in Kew. I'm using them to replace my clutch (it will cost me about $250 less than getting it done at Universe).
    I don't like using this forum to talk about mechanics etc in this way, but I think your friend should try somewhere else. I just hope I don't get sued for deformation whip
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information