Calling all 205 GTi experts.
  • Help
    Tadpole

Calling all 205 GTi experts.

Hey everyone.

Im buying a S2 GTi 1.9 in a few weeks time. Iv'e search some older threads and have a 'few' ideas on what can be done to the pug to get that little extra go. Can someone please just list some common mods and weight reductions that can be done to get the maximum performance out of my pug.

Advertisement

Thanks in advance.

From 105 BHP I got mine to 150 or so. Cams, porting, combustion chamber reshape (increased compression better swirl with no dead spots) power boost valve(useless without the above), vernier cam sprocket, new 2 1/4" custom exhaust from cat back and air filter. Doing a Remus exhaust and k and N filter is a wank, though you might like the sound power gain will be nothing. Filter more useful for a high power motor, though helps response a lot. Dont need injectors or new air flow meter or pistons at this power level. Std extractors are good enough. $2000 if you do it smart or $4000 if you open your wallet and get someone else to think for you.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Tadpole
    I'm not very mechanically minded unfortunately. So it will have to be someone else doing most of the work.

Is there someone in Sydney who can do that for me relatively cheaply?

Doesn’t have to be a qualified business, could just be someone who i can pay to do it in their backyard.

Well learn or pay. It's simple. Have a look at <a href="http://www.pumaracing.co.uk" target="_blank">www.pumaracing.co.uk</a> .It's good. Probably quite a few good guys in Sydney, but who knows who they are. You could send the head to Headstud in Moorabbin in Melbourne. They're good.

Hi Daniel,
    I have an immaculate S2 205 GTi for sale and can point you in the right direction for high quality, but reasonable price HP improvements. The most important (and best bang for your bucks) improvement for an S2, is to swap the 3.6 diff for a 3.9 diff from a S1 205 GTi. Send me an email if you're interested.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

PeterT:
    Hi Daniel,
    I have an immaculate S2 205 GTi for sale and can point you in the right direction for high quality, but reasonable price HP improvements. The most important (and best bang for your bucks) improvement for an S2, is to swap the 3.6 diff for a 3.9 diff from a S1 205 GTi. Send me an email if you're interested.
    I think Daniel means "S2" as in the 1988 onwards new dash model, rather than "S2" as in early 1990s clear blinkers model(which some call "S3"). 205 nomenclature can get confusing sometimes.

In that case, wouldn't the "S2" he's refering to already have a 3.9 diff?

Dave

<small>[ 22 December 2002, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I'd probably go first for a cam grind and a 3.0 bar fuel regulator from the wreckers. Cam grind is about $360 plus fitting(couple of hours). Fuel reg. will cost a couple of stubbies.
    I concur with Dave, in that whilst there were only 2 series of car (power steer or earlier no power steer), some folks call the changed dash car a series 2. So to avoid confusion it's easier to call the power steer cars S3's, even though they're not really.

Warwick2:
    Cam grind is about $360 plus fitting(couple of hours). .
    Wade cams in Melbourne are good cam grinders and only charge a tad over $100 to regrind camshafts. Everyone I know who's used a Wade cam has been happy with their work (including me).

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Tadpole
    I'm talking about the Non power-steering model which has the 75 KW engine, which i believe has the 3.9 dif.

Peter, my budget is only $6000 for my car, so if your car is immaculate, you wouldn't want to sell it to me for $6000. approve

So basically, the best 'bang for my buck' is a cam grind and a 3.0 bar fuel regulator?

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone, it will save me alot of time and money in the future. dance

<small>[ 22 December 2002, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Daniel_101 ]</small>

Dave, but to WELD up and grind cams they will charge $300 and something. Depends on how far you ask them to go.

Warwick2:
    Dave, but to WELD up and grind cams they will charge $300 and something. Depends on how far you ask them to go.
    I see. That sounds fair.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

I have a reground cam from CamTech which you are welcome to have a look. I don't won't to sell it, but you may wish to have a look at the card. Most of the research has already been done.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

The grouse grind I got was I think, a 162B. This must be grinders code known around the world, as when quoted to Wade's they said, yep no worries-good grind that. May need to change your valve springs with this though cos of the extra lift(I bloody forget cos I thought that was the last hot car I will own, so everything went.)

Thread Information