BIGGER WHEELS FOR 504
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Tadpole

BIGGER WHEELS FOR 504

Hey guys im very new to this forum. I was just wondering if anyone knew what offset the 504s'use. Im wanting to put some 17's on my 504 but i don't know which wheels will fit.
    any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks in advance,

PUG-13B

Advertisement
    PUG 504 13B Turbo. If it ain't a ROTOR it ain't a MOTOR.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i may be wrong here but dave will know for sure but i think the offset for the 504's is 20mm
    they had 2 offsets from memory depending on what wheels you had
    they were either 20 and 25mm
    but as i say i may be wrong but i am sure dave or someone will know for sure
    20mm is what a 604 has and i think they are the same as the 504 but as i don't have a 504 here to check i can't be 100%
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole
    Thanks heaps, i have added a pic of the wheels that are on my car. Do you know if wheels off any other type of car would fit on the car? someone told me that old sabaru wheels have the same offset. But i really want to slap some 17's on it. <a href="http://members.optusnet.com.au/roukai/wheels" target="_blank">wheels</a>

there are not a lot of options for the PCD that pugs run
    they are a 4X140 pcd
    you can get superlights drilled to suit
    subarus have the same PCD and ford spectron vans rear wheels are the same as well but are pretty useless for what you are after
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole
    Dammit. Anyway thanks alot for the feedback, i will prob give tempe tyres a call today and see what wheels they have for 4x140.

PUG-13B

I just went through the same thing with my 504, even though i only wanted to put 15's on it. The only real options are custom made rims eg. simmons,dragway, etc. And that means big bikkies.
    i'd be interested to hear how you get on.

cheers!
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Gus
    So it was you who bought the 13B 504 (unless there are two of them out there eek! ).

You should be able to get a wide variety of wheels made up to suit your 504, my local wheel place gave me a lot of options (some very reasonably priced, and they warned me off the wheels they considered weak or unrepairable). I elected to have my 15 inch (pug) alloys repaired.

For a cheaper option, you could get the steelies re-rolled and painted. This looks better than you'd think, and if that's the car in the photo then big shiny alloys will (probably) look crap anyhow.

You'll also need to be sure you can ride wide enough tyres without scrub or needing to flare the guards. The biggest tyres I've seen on a stock 504 were 220/60R390 (390mm = 15.5 inches), so I don't suppose you'll have trouble. Probably worth remembering you don't have power steering. .

PS Got any more photos of your car? Especially the engine bay .

<small>[ 19 December 2002, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Gus ]</small>

There was a time when Subaru owners preyed on dead 504s to get cheap wheel upsizing...

Now I suspect it might be the other way around... though the latest models have gone to 5-stud, there are Subarus about still wearing the 140mm stud pattern and they can't fit Peugeot wheels because of the front hub being too large to fit in the centre of the rim.

Wrecking yards might disclose that there are some 15" wheels about for them...

For 17s, I heartily recommend Simmons. Tony makes a good wheel, and if you can afford it, they will be neat looking and very serviceable.

Tadpole
    Hey guys thanks alot for the feedback, and yes i bought the 13b turbo 504 that was in the for sale section . I have owned alot of cars in the past-rx3's rx'7 r33 skyline but this thing has to be one of the most comfortable and quickest cars i have driven. (not the best handling though!) As for the wheels i don't think i will fork out the amount of money it costs to get a decent set of simmons made up, i will most probably get the current ones sand blasted and see how that goes.... Iv'e uploaded some pics of the car..
    <a href="http://members.optusnet.com.au/roukai/front2" target="_blank">engineshot</a>
    <a href="http://members.optusnet.com.au/roukai/front1" target="_blank">front</a>
    <a href="http://members.optusnet.com.au/roukai/enginebay" target="_blank">enginebay</a>
    <a href="http://members.optusnet.com.au/roukai/interior" target="_blank">interior</a>

PUG-13B

Awesome - thanks for the photos

What are your long term plans for the car?

I actually really wanted to buy that thing, and if I had the cash I would have snapped it up.

I'm very jealous =)

PUG-13B,

Awesome car, but sounds like it needs quite a bit of tidying up to get the best out of the chassis (not to mention the interior).

Check out my 504/505 modification website to get some useful info:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/fiveohsindex.html?997061496590" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/fiveohsindex.html?997061496590</a>

With the right mods you should be able to get it to handle like a 2WD Skyline, but with a smoother ride.

Oh, and is there any chance I might be able to get your permission to put some pics of your car on my website? It would be a great addition I think, as I haven't got any photos of non-Pug engined cars on there yet (but I've been planning to).

Regards,
    Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Gus
    There's a set of Pug 15 inch wheels (rare) here in Queanbeyan that have been for sale for a while (new Contis for tyres, owner wanted $1500 about four months ago, may accept less now... look in the Parts For Sale.)

Even with 195/60 tyres the difference in sidewall flex is noticeable.

Your 504 may or may not have softer suspension than my 505 (it's custom, right? if it's stock, it'll be softer) but you could always run lower profile tyres...

Plus the 15 inch Peugeot wheels suit the 504s pretty well. A mate of mine has the (same style) 390mm wheels I mentioned above, on a 504 wagon.

I actually really wanted to buy that thing, and if I had the cash I would have snapped it up.
    You're telling me. I got back from Sydney on the Sunday night, saw the post, went "Wow!", got up the next morning and said "I'm gonna call the bank, then go look at the car!" Logged on, car had sold. mallet

BTW, pics are awesome. The bonnet vent/scoop system looks pretty well suited.

<small>[ 19 December 2002, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Gus ]</small>

Hi
    I have a 505 Gti '86, with 15x6 alloys, the offset is 20P, and I run Falken 195/60R15 tyres. The PCD is 4x140, so if you could score the 15' french alloys from a wrecker they would be very suitable. The rims tend to be a little soft but they can easily be rolled "out".
    I have a mate who has fitted these wheels to his 504 Ti Targa rally car. It looks good, and he is using Dunlop Formula R race rubber. His car handles very well, having done 1 targa NZ in 2002 and plenty of hillclimbs. He & a mechanic mate prepared the car themselves. wink

Gus
    Mi16freak - couldn't agree more.

The problem is that in oz, the 15 inch wheels are rare as hen's teeth (too many 505STis delivered with Metrics has put them in demand, relatively low numbers of GTIs - most still on the road - made them rare.)

Hence $1500/set in Queanbeyan. One wrecker in Melbourne charges over $350/wheel and has a waiting list.

I got my set for $100/wheel but they all needed rerolling (two desperately - visible long flat patches!!)

If they can be found in NZ cheap I imagine you could make some decent dollars shipping them to Oz.

<small>[ 20 December 2002, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Gus ]</small>

Fellow Frogger!
    This kiwi auction site;

<a href="http://www.trademe.co.nz/Cars-Boats-Motorbikes/Parts-and-accessories-Other/auction-2511201.htm" target="_blank">http://www.trademe.co.nz/Cars-Boats-Motorbikes/Parts-and-accessories-Other/auction-2511201.htm</a>

has some pug wheels on it at the moment- I realise you are after larger than 14" - but hey anything looks better than those 14" steels right?!

Assuming you had around$1500 -$2000 to spend on tyres/wheels with your 17" aspirations- it'd be a similar price for 15" superlites- they are aperiod wheel which allows you to put higher performance rubber on it (more options in 15") and you could get them and tyres for under $2k prob under $1500?

Reno17 who posts on here got them for his R17 recently (he's in ozzie) perhaps he could shed some light on the sort of money you'd expect to pay over there?

Oh, and they come as blanks from Performance Wheels so the 140*4 pug stud spacing isn't a problem.

I have these same wheels on my car (reno 3stud!) and have been rapt with how strong the wheels are - and how good they look!

hope this helps.

Ben

you could always get a price on having 15" or 16" rims on your centres and getting them chromed/powder coated or painted
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole
    macquered : No probs.. if i ever decide to sell ill let u know first... :p

davemcbean : The car definately needs some tidying up, everything is ok though.. The ineterior has not got any marks or rips.. the roof lining, door trims, dash are all immaculate. The dash has no cracks or anything.. thanks for your site, If you would like to post pics up that cool with me.

Thanks for the feedback guys, the wheels are actually starting to grow on me... I will prbly just sandblast them and see how that looks first or even clean em up and spray them silver. If i don't like it i will try and source a set of those 15's.

I actally had a squirt with an RS liberty the other night and i pulled away from him.. The guy was stoked, he pulled over and came up to me and said "that thing is the craziest sleeper i have ever seen", you should have seen the guys face when i passed him and keept pulling away.. LOL

PUG-13B:
    The ineterior has not got any marks or rips.. the roof lining, door trims, dash are all immaculate. The dash has no cracks or anything..
    ..but your dash chrome strips could do with a coat of paint. It's easy to do and improves the look of the interior 1000%. A smaller steering wheel wouldn't hurt either. A 14" wheel will clear the instruments OK, and works great with the standard slow steering rack. If you have a quicker steering rack, a 15" wheel may be better.

Dave

<small>[ 21 December 2002, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    Assuming you had around$1500 -$2000 to spend on tyres/wheels with your 17" aspirations- it'd be a similar price for 15" superlites
    You should be able to buy 15x6 Superlites for around $210 per wheel. I priced them recently. A much better buy than 15 year old GTi mags for $300+ per wheel.
    I actally had a squirt with an RS liberty the other night and i pulled away from him.. The guy was stoked, he pulled over and came up to me and said "that thing is the craziest sleeper i have ever seen", you should have seen the guys face when i passed him and keept pulling away.. LOL
    A 504 cleaning up an RS Turbo? I love it!!

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

I'm with John, there's no substitute for a set of 15x6" superlites if you want value for money alloy wheels that are larger than 14". They suit the car alot better than some ricey 16" or 17" wheels too.

As far as 14" steel wheels go, the 604 rims look FAR better than the stock 504 rims, and they're alot stronger too.

If you really must have 16" or 17" wheels, then Simmons is the way to go unless you change the stud pattern.

Dave

<small>[ 22 December 2002, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

im gonna cop it for this but!... try having your disks welded over (its a special technique, but not too expensive) and then have them re drilled and tapped to suit, ie like a commodore pattern or new Pug pattern ie 4x108???, if you get 5 stud commodore pattern your wheel selection opens right up from ex-chaser wheels (in the paper for $300 with tyres) to nice racing/chrome wheels etc. choice would be huge. Though id stick to a pug pattern so u can fit pug wheels, ie such as from a 406 etc.
    Another way to go is to use adaptors, i had custom ones spun up from a good alloy and run 17's on my car, i also increased my track with by just a little, the weight of the adaptor and wheel are only a little more than my original pug alloys. So unsprung weight isn't thrown out the window.
    but if you want full custom alloys, like you said and Ray and others, Simmons are very hard to beat, they also hold thier price really well, compared to other alloys.
    good luck

Xqisid

ps, fit a front-mount cooler wil ya!
    ... ptui!

xqisid:
    I'm gonna cop it for this but!... try having your disks welded over (its a special technique, but not too expensive) and then have them re drilled and tapped to suit, ie like a commodore pattern or new Pug pattern ie 4x108
    Not the discs but the hubs...

There is a pair of fronts that have been done and one rear floating around, no idea who did them, but they look all right.

They were welded up, refaced and then redrilled to 114.?mm for the popular Japanese 4-stud pattern.

I think it's illegal to weld them, however... no matter how safe it is.

Ray Bell:
    xqisid:
    I'm gonna cop it for this but!... try having your disks welded over (its a special technique, but not too expensive) and then have them re drilled and tapped to suit, ie like a commodore pattern or new Pug pattern ie 4x108
    Not the discs but the hubs...
    There is a pair of fronts that have been done and one rear floating around, no idea who did them, but they look all right.
    I think it's illegal to weld them, however... no matter how safe it is.
    Tx's Ray, thought that didn't sound quite right when i read it back. too lazy to (edit). Still if its illegal, are adaptors illegal, my RTA mate (ie works at a counter) says he cant find anything specific against em, but others mught know better. Cheers xqisid
    PS, just to clarify things up as we "SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE" here i ozfrogs, but i don't want to lead people astray.
    ... ptui!

From memory, welding anything in the suspension is illegal. Ridiculous as that might seem...

Spacers aren't, as far as I know, or bolt-on adaptors, but you should be careful all the same.

you will just have to check as to the regulations regarding wheel track
    i know you are allowed a little change but not a lot
    or it may be nothing at all
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information