Cold Air Box for MI16
  • Help
    Cal

Cold Air Box for MI16

I have just spent the last hour going over some dyno sheets with a guy who makes cold air boxes. He has quite a lot of experience making and fitting them to various cars. The box and figures I saw were for a Proton Satria GTI. The overall power increase was 8%. I think this is a tremendous gain for the money. He has not made one for a Pug before, but this doesn't really pose a problem. They are fibreglass and completely sealed from the engine bay and covered in heat sheild. They seal to the bonnet with a contoured rubber seal. Therefore the only air reaching the filter is from outside. They are $450 including a Sparco or K&N filter. If you already have the filter, it would be $270. This should give an Australian spec 150hp MI16 engine a gain of 12hp, assuming the power % increase is the same as the Satria. With an exhaust, just shy of 170hp should be possible. I am having mine made soon. If you would like one, let me know.

Advertisement

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Hi Cal
    Mmm sounds interesting. Any chance of taking/obtaining a digital photo of this cold box.? Does one remove top and bottom of air fliter box and put the coldie in its place, substituting the oval plastic air hose with the rubber hose?
    Is the size of the air intake hole in top of grille changed/made round instead of oval?
    I have a Simota free flow filter sitting in the bottom half of my a/f box, taking cold air from existing intake pipe. Probably gives plenty of cold air while one is moving above 40mph but also exposed to hot air from engine.
    I could be interested.
    Cheers wink

Cal
    I could get a digital photo, but not until I am back there to get mine done. This will be the 2nd or 3rd week in January. The whole Pug induction setup is removed completly. This is how I have mine at the moment. An alloy bracket coming from the air flow meter straight to the K&N. I then made a couple of support brackets to hold it up where the old box was. I have a pipe directing air from the original oval intake. This is far from ideal as there is still quite a lot of very hot air getting to the filter. Like you pointed out though, it must do something at speed. I spoke in length to this bloke about the way in all works. He knows his stuff and could back it up with proof. Nice for a change. He is going to see if he can make the oval intake any bigger. Getting cold air and only cold air is the key to the performance. It must be completly sealed to the bonnet ect. He also talked about how some clowns put the intake pipe to under the spoiler or wheelarch ect. It is like a very powerful vacuum cleaner, sucking up all crap off the road and sending it toward the filter.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

I whacked an Apexi filter on my Mi16 yesterday and the car immediately developed a flatspot coming off idle, so I put it back on the 306. The 306 seems to go ever so slightly better, it's hard to tell, but the noise is worth bottling
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

1000+ Posts
    Hey Cal, i would be interested in this guys work for at least 2 of my cars, which side of town is he and whats his details? cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Cal
    jr20516v:
    Hey Cal, i would be interested in this guys work for at least 2 of my cars, which side of town is he and whats his details? cheers jr
    He works out of a shed next to the Proton dealer on Ipswich Rd at Moorooka. His name is Jeff Winston. His mobile number is 0411 181 995. Tell him I was in there last week with a red Mi16. He is fairly busy and can't fit me in until mid January.

On another note, after much research, I have decided MG is probably the best club to join next year to do some club events. I may join SPARC on the Gold Coast aswell. Would be good to make a Pug assault on their events. You will need an extinguisher with an alloy bracket. Plastic is no longer allowed. A blue triangle to indicate where the battery is. A 2nd bonnet strap or pins. Tape on the headlights. A helmet and full length clothing. A race suit is obviously best.

Cheers,

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Thread Information