Turbocharged 504
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Turbocharged 504

Just saw this add on the Canberra Club website (dated July):

Advertisement

504 1974 model in superb condition. The car is fitted with a Garret T04 turbo, producing 279ft/lbs of torque (380nm) at 2700RPM, 5 speed BA10/5 gearbox, 604 front ventilated discs, adjustable lower control arms, TRX "Chromodora" alloys, QH headlights, air conditioning and CD player. It has been painted in 2 pack paint, Thilium Grey(406 coupe silver). 1980 mod 504 blue velour interior. Qld rego PUR-504. Photos available on request. $10,500. Contact Peter Green, 07 46351149.

This sounds alot like the turbo 504 which Richard Marken in QLD built. He knows his stuff and apparently the car produced 240hp at the flywheel. I'm a bit skeptical about 380Nm. 280 would sound more like it.

I posted this here, rather than in the for sale section, because it's a few months old, and may already be sold, so this post is more a point of interest for the Performance Forum.

Dave

<small>[ 10 December 2002, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: fiveohs ]</small>

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Dave
    i saw that a while ago as well
    and i got to thinking about the lower control arms
    there was either Kmac or someone similar that you could grab parts from to adapt to the 504 to adjust the camber
    a friend of mine used to have a pedders franchise ot mittagong and we played around with a few things like that but then his so called partner did an overnight fling with all the money and everything went into liquidation
    will have a look around and see what there is to do this again
    as for the 380 i think you are right at 280
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Gus
    I thought I posted this to Cars For Sale way back then. d'oh mallet . It disappeared from the printed ads a few months back, but this may just be due to space.

Now, if I only had ten grand... *drools on keyboard*!

Does anyone in Queensland know some more about this car?

I'd be particularly interested to find out how it is fuelled, what boost it runs, if it runs any cooling, and how long it's been kicking around for (plus that adjustable control arm stuff sounds interesting.)

TO4 turbo ehh? Its funny I was thinking a ohh **** the small turbo on the pug and just go a big matha ie T56!! Didn't say how many Killers did it dave? The car Sounds promising!

Al

If this is the car that Richard Marken built, he used a single 45mm Weber suck through system.

It was fairly efficient as far as suck through systems go, because he had 4 into 1 extractors going over the rocker cover, with the turbo blowing directly into a square port head, with the Weber hanging off the front of the turbo about where the alternator on a carby 504 would normally sit. 240 horsies is about 179kW!

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Gee 179 thats good give some 225 kw gen 111 commodore drivers a fright ehh! thank dave.

Al

Until he blew the gearbox to smitherines with those "380nm" roll_lau

Wonder how strong the motor was pumping out 170kws?

The turbo 504 theory has been played with a few times here......seems a relatively easy thing to do.....

eheh...could certainly have some fun with 170kw in a 504!! eek! ...
    ________
    TakeMeNow
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 05:33 AM.

Hey, that's my car!! I've since removed the turbo and fitted a Ti, but yes, it was claimed that is had 380nm torque and 240hp. Might refit the turbo system to the Ti engine soonish and see how it goes. 45DCOE ate too much fuel. 24MPG maximum at highway cruising. I don't remember why it was put up for sale, I was considering going overseas, but I'm keeping it now.

was eating to much fuel they only reason why yopu swaped for a Ti engine?

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

no, there were other reasons aswell, insurance was a bugga, and getting a bad batch of fuel was nasty! I'm a lot happier with the Ti engine I've got in it tho, much smoother, maybe one day could fit the turbo onto it or even a supercharger.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by callipygous
    no, there were other reasons aswell, insurance was a bugga, and getting a bad batch of fuel was nasty! I'm a lot happier with the Ti engine I've got in it tho, much smoother, maybe one day could fit the turbo onto it or even a supercharger.
    You would have to remove the Kugelfischer injection this relies on VACUUM!
    In light of probles encountered by other I would leave the turbo engine exactly as Richard had it.
    For instance you would have to decompress your Ti engine.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by callipygous
    Hey, that's my car!! I've since removed the turbo and fitted a Ti, but yes, it was claimed that is had 380nm torque and 240hp. Might refit the turbo system to the Ti engine soonish and see how it goes. 45DCOE ate too much fuel. 24MPG maximum at highway cruising. I don't remember why it was put up for sale, I was considering going overseas, but I'm keeping it now.
    Is this Mark or Peter?
    1982 505GR (RIP)

It's Mark here, but Peter is available on request

G'day Mark. I took your dad and Barry from the Toowoomba Pug wreckers for a spin in my turbo 505, and had a look at your 504. It's about as good as a 504 could get too!
    Chris
    1982 505GR (RIP)

Ahha, thanks, I love my 504

But hey, was out with barry the other night, and both my father and Barry were wondering where you had got too, I'm still yet to see this 505. What are its specs, and is it still going well?

The full list of modifictaions are listed in cars for sale from mid December last year. And no, it didn't sell but I think that's probably for the better.

It is going well, although the heat effects power noticably. I just bought a bigger intercooler so when that gets done I'll fit a bigger turbo (I'm thinking along the lines of a GT28 maybe...).

Unfortunately I moved to Brisbane a few weeks after meeting Barry and your dad and work procluded me from visiting again. And now I'm back in Newcastle again. Such is life...
    1982 505GR (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

i heard of that car a while back, but i didn't know it was such an odd combination turbo set up. It was all backwards from what i just read (my opinion!) but it worked obviously.

i plan to turbo a TI engine using ECU controlled fuel and ignition, on the TI head (not the square port, ehhhh). run low boost, nomore than 10psi, prolly 7 or so. lesat for a while (Then mod the block and liners and run some serious ponies. but thats later).

but a suck through system on the square port head *shudders* (i'd have it ) there is a lot of potential for efficency gains there, e.g more power
    Lets just say we have a few pugs about!

Thread Information