Food for thought??
  • Help

Food for thought??

I am sitting at my desk and flipping through various issue of Zoom. There are a lot of the high perfomance GTR GTS RBs and SR powered nissans and the like.

They are 2.5-6l turbo 4 valve vvt engines admitedly. What I find interesting for those who are perfomance oriented is that there are on occassion 2 valve pushrod 1800cc and 1600cc gemini engines! Now, These engines are not highly modifide internaly. However they all have a bloody big matha turbo TO 4 or garrett TXX bolted to them. The particular example is a 1800cc with water injection, no intercooler uses a dellorto Carb draw throu and run 35 psi boost and get 192 killowatts at the wheels!

Now That would see the pug 504 to 14.5 sec 1/4 there abouts. The second example is another 1800cc 2v ohc donk with big turbo running 25 psi and efi and knocks out 410 killowatts however he has a big intercooler.

Now that would see the 504 to an 11.0 second 1/4 time (excellent)

My basic point being that the engine block varies very little between 504 and gemini. With from what I have seen the pug being the better donk! and with an extra 200cc.

So my suggestion is Why not spend 400 bucks on a to4 and 200 on an intercooler and see how much grunt The 504 will knock out.

Especailly when you consider how cheap the donk is I saw xn1 being sold in the trading post for 400 bucks with gearbox thown in.

Unlike a stuffed RB motor were 400 bucks would not by you a set of pistons.. let alone ride you to 11 secs for the same price!

Advertisement

thought I would throw this in for what ever its worth. :p tongue question

AL

<small>[ 08 December 2002, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: AlsPug504 ]</small>

Gus
    Did anyone mention how long these engines were able to withstand this amount of boost without burning a hole in the top of a piston, or chucking a conrod through the side of the block? At any rate, how many dyno runs, let alone 1/4 miles, can they do without a rebuild?

Moreover, if you dump this much boost through your motor, you will need forged pistons, and probably have to pay close to as much for them as your RB skyline mates.

Nevertheless, I imagine you could run low boost at very little cost (somewhere - probably here - I heard an XN1 will run 8psi on standard pistons with no intercooler, due to its low CR.) I think it would be a cheap way to add some power and also a good chunk of torque.

Remember that making an engine produce ridiculous amounts of peak power is one thing, making it do it over and over again is another. Making it drivable on the street (or even on a track) is the third.

However, if anyone ever builds one: head_ban

Well Gus I hope to send you a fvcked piston or 4 and broken crank god willing!!

You know I read somewere Murphy was an optimist and the law applicable goes something like:
    If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacement anyway

Jammed = not enough grunt!
    Force = bolt on forced induction!
    tongue head_ban
    No mention on strip down times However an interesting point highlighted by the gem gems owner was that he deliberatly use stock head gaskets no o rings so if something did go, it was an easily replacable component.

Further in the first example, the water system had float and if the water got to low it only allow stock boost. He to also had control of the boost so around town it was pretty tame but came the drag strip or some business penis give him the shits in a wrx?? by by!! tongue head_ban

Gus
    he deliberatly use stock head gaskets no o rings so if something did go, it was an easily replacable component.
    Mmm, yeah. A friend of a friend of mine is an engineer of some kind who runs a Corolla 2 door, completely standard motor, with a Calais supercharger.

Once a year or so he just hoicks his old engine out and puts a new one in.

Not particularly ecologically effective, but it'll remain cost-effective for as long as Corolla engines are dirt cheap. . A similar statement would apply to pugs ($200 504s a go-go!)

<small>[ 08 December 2002, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Gus ]</small>

Thread Information