The best single modification to a 205 Gti S1 is....
  • Help

The best single modification to a 205 Gti S1 is....

Which modification for less than $2000 will give the best result in improving track times on an S1 205 GTi (no power steering)

Advertisement
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

.... you didn't include race tyres. $1500 on race tyres and $500 on race pads/fluid, .... then rip everything out (which costs nothing).
    cheers
    Xq
    ... ptui!

Tyres will be the biggest inprovement in track times!
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:47 (16V) 2019
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Suspension and tyres, engine and brakes in that order. Tyres make the car nicer handling on the track, and faster. Suspension, much faster. Engine a bit faster. If you drive it on the road however, leave the suspension til last, or be prepared tolose those fillings.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Speaking from experience go the tyres for $1000, then DBA or EBC rotors at the front with Greenstuff pads and DOT 4 or better brake fluid approx $350, Koni shocks from Ray Bell $650.

And you can also rip all the interior out for free.

Darren

About 13 years ago I ran an '89 205 GTI in sprints, hillclimb, and motorkhana very competitively and I believe your $2000 should be spent on suspension, tyres and brake pads. The engine will soak up the money very quickly and give you minimal gains in track times. Time on the track experimenting will give good advantage.
    Alan.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

alan moore:
    About 13 years ago I ran an '89 205 GTI in sprints, hillclimb, and motorkhana very competitively
    Alan.
    Well alan???!!...... don;t stop there times, fav tracks/events, speed secrets in 205's c'mon mate were countig on you...
    But seriously was it expensive/dificult to campain a 205 13 year-a-go?
    cheers Xq

ps you havn't got the lil 205 stored somewere have you??
    ... ptui!

I bought the 205 badly damaged 6 months old with 7000 klm on it. It had been rear ended by a landcruiser at 80 kph. Everything behind the doors was replaced, and in total, cost half of the new price of $32000.
    I put Bilsteins all round, but would now use Koni, and uprated the front springs 100% to 200 lbs/in and the torsion bars were made the full size of the spline giving a 200lb/in wheel rate in the rear. The front springs were of a small diameter and I made strut tops to give more neg camber as well as moving the arms out. The motor had a billet cam made,vernier gear, ported head, bigger valves, double valve springs, extractors and a big system. The biggest loss is in the airflow meter, but now with Quad throttle bodies and decent after market computers, no probs. Although I would now use an MI-16 motor.
    I won at least one QLD champ m/khana year, second at the Aust champs and should have won another.I ran at the Mt. Cotton and Grafton hillclimbs and was a regular at sprints at Lakeside, although the step from 1st to 2nd did not suit hillclimb particularly. My hot 16TS powered R8 was quicker at the hill and 1/4 mile. Brakes were never a problem.
    I sold it in '94 for $16700 with 140000 klm and everything standard except the head, to pay off a house. Most of the parts have been sold off over the last few years, and I would love another, but six registered vehicles for my monetary and space limits would be over the top.
    Alan.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

alan moore:
    I bought the 205 badly damaged 6 months old with 7000 klm on it. It had been rear ended by a landcruiser at 80 kph. Everything behind the doors was replaced, and in total, cost half of the new price of $32000.
    I put Bilsteins all round, but would now use Koni, and uprated the front springs 100% to 200 lbs/in and the torsion bars were made the full size of the spline giving a 200lb/in wheel rate in the rear. The front springs were of a small diameter and I made strut tops to give more neg camber as well as moving the arms out. The motor had a billet cam made,vernier gear, ported head, bigger valves, double valve springs, extractors and a big system. The biggest loss is in the airflow meter, but now with Quad throttle bodies and decent after market computers, no probs. Although I would now use an MI-16 motor.
    I won at least one QLD champ m/khana year, second at the Aust champs and should have won another.I ran at the Mt. Cotton and Grafton hillclimbs and was a regular at sprints at Lakeside, although the step from 1st to 2nd did not suit hillclimb particularly. My hot 16TS powered R8 was quicker at the hill and 1/4 mile. Brakes were never a problem.
    I sold it in '94 for $16700 with 140000 klm and everything standard except the head, to pay off a house. Most of the parts have been sold off over the last few years, and I would love another, but six registered vehicles for my monetary and space limits would be over the top.
    Alan.
    Wow, thanks alan, got any stories, seriously... im too thinking about getting a 205 and Supersprinting it too. The state and National series is up with CAMS at the moment getting some review work done, so its only gong to get better and bigger from here on.
    The other events i was looking at was Improved production, as its somewhat affordable and very competetive, my S3 license wont be a problem.. getting the time to do it will.
    YELO20 and myself, would appreciate some tips, as we and a few others love givin' our little pugs a brap on a track.
    cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

Thread Information