Electronic dissy for R8-12 reno's
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Electronic dissy for R8-12 reno's

G/DAY all
    the dissy used is from a (sorry about the foul language) TN mitsubishi magna.
    The locating tag has to be machined off the side and a collared shink sleeve the same dimentions as reno dissy made to replace it.
    Fit the sleeve by heating it and glueing it with loctite being carefull to make the distance from the end of the dissy and the collar the same as the reno.
    The next step is turn down the shaft to take the reno drive and drill the shaft for the locating pin in the same place as the reno in relation to the rotor button.
    All that is left is to reasemble install, ad a matching coil and happy motoring.
    P/S I cant remember whether i had to shorten the end of the shaft or not. I'm doing another one in the newyear for my daughters R12 will keep you all posted.
    PP/S I have a friend who does my machinework and will do others if the to dissies are supplied for $150.

Advertisement

Cheeres and happy frogging
    PETER

Peter,

Any possibility of a few pics to see the sleeve design and size in a bit more detail?

Is the magna an external or internal ignitor? I gather it is internal from your comments.

Kevin.

Fellow Frogger!

Default electronic dissy

Im not shure of the difference between internal and external ignitor being a dumb electrician but the dissy is the same as those used ford &holden strait sixes and V8's.
    cheers peter

If it is internal ignitor, there will only be two wires coming from the dizzy going straight to the coil. If an external is involved, those wires will first go to a small object (usually box shaped with a plug connector), then to the coil from there. The ignitor itself will normally have a ground wire as well.

I asked someone who used to own this sort of magna last night and they couldn't remember but thought it had an external ignitor which sits on top of the coil?

They also mentioned that magnas suffered from blowing a diode in the dizzy and that the +12v wire is from the ECU and filtered/regulated to be constant 12V. Presumably you've got 12V +/- from the battery. Obviously had no problems?

Still sounds worth trying though!

Fellow Frogger!

Default R8-12 dissy

G/DAY All
    The dissy only has the two wires comeing out of it to the coil.
    As for power supply i just used the standard reno feed to the coil, as for reliability its been in use for over 2 years with the only failure being the lug on the end of one of the 2 wires to the coil parting company.(touch wood)
    Other than that its worked a treat.
    Cheers Peter.

Thread Information