Silverstone FTZ Sports
  • Help
    Zen

Default Silverstone FTZ Sports

Hey guys,

Been quite busy lately and haven't been up with the numerous tyre threads going on but I have just put on some Silverstone FTZ Sports (205 40 ZR 17 84W) on the GTi180. At $150 each, I thought I'd have a crack at them and I have to say the week I've had them on the car I'm very impressed with them. They are a soft compound and grip very well in the dry and wet, maybe a little too well. I've found inducing lift off oversteer is harder which can be a good thing. The big question will be how long last and the longevity of the compound itself. Anyone else tried Silverstone performance road tyres?

Rich

Advertisement

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Absolutely woeful tyre from my experiences with them on a 306. I rate them way down there with Olympic Sprinters and anything from Woosung.

Zen

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    Absolutely woeful tyre from my experiences with them on a 306. I rate them way down there with Olympic Sprinters and anything from Woosung.
    Care to elaborate? The reason I wanted to give them a go is that I run Silverstone S575 (tarmac rally tyre) out on the track and they've been pretty good.

These are the FTZ Sport Tyre.

Some of there other performance tyres are run of the mill.

Rich
    Last edited by Zen; 13th December 2005 at 09:30 PM.

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

I had them on my 306 S16 - the word crap comes to mind. They were shocking in the wet, let go easily in the dry. If you're experimenting with lift-off oversteer, I strongly encourage you not to - you will lift off one day and they'll let go for good

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    Care to elaborate? The reason I wanted to give them a go is that I run Silverstone S575 (tarmac rally tyre) out on the track and they've been pretty good.
    I found them to have low limits, and also not progressive when pushing limits. I also found them to have a very small heat range, they seem to overheat quite quickly.

They are cheap because they are primarily a budget tyre.

Zen

I guess I'll have to get them out on the track 'cos I've just been driving like a good citizen on the streets. I did notice going around a corner this morning that it seemed to understeer more when I pushed it a little. I can understand the statement that they aren't progressive and on that corner it seemed like if I pushed it a lot harder it would break out quickly. Like I said I just got them put on and the old Pirelli P7000's were down to the wear markers (got over 50,000km on them) so anything was better when I got the new tyres on. Thanks for the info and I'll see how it goes. Most of the driving I do is highway driving though so yah, nothing too taxing on the tyres. It's surprising as their semi slick has served me well on the track.

Rich

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Olympic Sprinters are the best trailer tyres made

My 5 x 7 Loves them....!

Didn't realise people actually DROVE on them
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Administrator

Default Budget Tyres...

I must admit, I do alot of country km's on crapola roads and after tearing a chunk out of the sidewall of a rather expensive Goodyear Eagle F1 going through a pot hole a year or so ago, I fitted a set of el cheapo Nankang NS1's (205/45R16) on the front of the Fuego (until I retire it to weekend duties)

For a cheap tyre, they are actually suprisingly good. I do bag them a bit on here because...well...they're friggin Nankang's, but at DECA the car was 4 seconds a lap faster than it was with the F1's and I although I've fine tuned a few things (mainly suspension wise) since I had the F1's on they still did a very good job...

I have had them on the car for about 20K and they seem to stop well and have even worn quite well, they don't seem any noiser than the F1's and the only real fault I have found is that they do aquaplane easier than the F1's on standing water (light car syndrome)

Although they probably don't have the ultimate mid corner grip of the F1's (car did understeer a little through the top bend) they are much much more progressive and as such, quite confidence inspiring on the road...

If you are after a cheap tyre, I reckon you could do alot worse...

We fitted Nankang EX500 225/50/16 92V to our old Volvo 850R Wagon because we needed tyres and it was Christmas time so the budget was tight and they performed admirably. Wore well, no problems, handled fine and were still going strong when we sold the car...

Nankang also make an 80 15" 165/80R15 87S Width 4.5"; OD; 645 TW; 165 (Model N812) that fit some froggy cars and can be picked up for around $55.00 almost a third of the price of Michies... !

These sizes in the N803 Model may also be of interest to froggie drivers....

SERIES INCH SIZE RIM WIDTH OD (mm) TW(mm) PRODUCT 80 Series
    80 15" 145/80R15 78S 4.0" 616 147 J1634
    80 15" 135/80R15 72S 4.0" 600 137 J1635

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silverstone FTZ Sports-ex500.jpg   Silverstone FTZ Sports-n812.jpg   Silverstone FTZ Sports-n803.jpg  
    Last edited by Jack Z; 15th December 2005 at 10:59 AM.
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Administrator

I tell a lie, it was the Nankang NS2...

You could probably do alot worse if you are looking for a cheapish low profile tyre...
    Last edited by mistareno; 15th December 2005 at 11:34 AM.

the old Pirelli P7000's were down to the wear markers (got over 50,000km on them)
    Richard, that's the most I've heard anyone get out of the OEM 180 tyres. At $150 each for your replacement I wouldn't expect them to have the same level of performance as the Pirellis, but then they are half the price. How does the steering feel with the Silverstones?
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

These are the FTZ Sport Tyre.

Some of there other performance tyres are run of the mill.

Rich
    ditto, very average "performance" tyre. Bloody noisy as well. Had them on my commodore, since it was a designated tow vehicle it didnt worry me too much, but would never buy them again.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Thread Information