strut braces - thoughts/opinions/warnings
  • Help

Default strut braces - thoughts/opinions/warnings

Hey all,

I just purchased a strut brace for my mi16 from a forum member and thought that before I launch into installing it (all 4 nuts!) that i'd just see what the general thoughts about these bits of kit were.

I understand the theory behind them and how/why they work. I also know that I will need to raise the front end of the car (unload front suspension) to install it.

Advertisement

The main thing i wanted to know about is if a strut brace is going to increase the rigidity in my suspension then what components in particular will be feeling the extra load? I am a firm beleiver in "nothing comes for free"... So what parts exactly should i watch now that it'll be working harder?

thanks.
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Well, once the flex has been taken out of the towers, the force is handled by the struts. Associated parts like the balljoints will take a slight increase in load too, but these parts are rated well beyond anything you'll put on them via a strut brace.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by enthused!
    Hey all,

I just purchased a strut brace for my mi16 from a forum member and thought that before I launch into installing it (all 4 nuts!) that i'd just see what the general thoughts about these bits of kit were.

I understand the theory behind them and how/why they work. I also know that I will need to raise the front end of the car (unload front suspension) to install it.

The main thing i wanted to know about is if a strut brace is going to increase the rigidity in my suspension then what components in particular will be feeling the extra load? I am a firm beleiver in "nothing comes for free"... So what parts exactly should i watch now that it'll be working harder?

thanks.
    The brace is a great addition. The only significant concern is one of more extensive collision damage: get hit on one side, both sides get the impact. But then again the brace may help you avoid the collision.

Thanos

I noticed a slightly more direct front end, when i put one on my old S16. I took it off and put it back on several times and noticed the change every time. Its a feel thing and nothing to get too excited about as the change in laptimes did happen but nothing to write home about, were talking 10ths. I'm drawing light from the 306's but just make sure it fits well and put it on when the car is on level & even ground. Enjoy! - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by enthused!
    Hey all,

thanks.
    yes the front end will feel more solid but beware if you have any steering /suspension components that are worn or on the way out as the brace will make them show up more.
    if you have any play in the steering it will show up more as well.
    the strut top rubbers are one thing that have extra load via the brace,
    alot of uk gti braced cars go for a group n top strut rubbers.
    if your oe ones are in good nick you will be cool.
    i got new ones about a year before the brace went on.
    i really enjoy the brace on my 205 gti.
    it gives extra sharp turn in as well i find.
    the steering/front end feels alot more solid.
    if its adjustable go for a drive with it tightened up then slacken it off and go for the same drive and you will see the difference.
    enjoy the toy,boy-BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    I noticed a slightly more direct front end, when i put one on my old S16. I took it off and put it back on several times and noticed the change every time. Its a feel thing and nothing to get too excited about as the change in laptimes did happen but nothing to write home about, were talking 10ths. I'm drawing light from the 306's but just make sure it fits well and put it on when the car is on level & even ground. Enjoy! - Chris

Did the car have a cage, Chris? If so, the contribution of the brace is there, but certainly a lot smaller.

Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    Did the car have a cage, Chris? If so, the contribution of the brace is there, but certainly a lot smaller.

Thanos
    Yes, but I had the brace On & Off before & after the roll cage. I did make a feel change each time; but it was nothing compared to what new suspention & brakes did for the car. That & tyres were the better upgrades. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    yes the front end will feel more solid but beware if you have any steering /suspension components that are worn or on the way out as the brace will make them show up more.
    if you have any play in the steering it will show up more as well.
    the strut top rubbers are one thing that have extra load via the brace,
    alot of uk gti braced cars go for a group n top strut rubbers.
    if your oe ones are in good nick you will be cool.
    ok... installed last night.

No problems fitting it. jacked the car up enough so the front wheels could turn freely, tightened the nuts on the brackets on each end and then tightened the bolts between bar and bracket last. All fitted well - made for it.

I haven't had much of a chance to give it a go yet - only really driven to work since (did the job fairly late so didn't go for a drive to test).

It certainly feels a little more solid in all of the front suspension - also feels as if the front is sitting up higher?

no play in the steering, steering feels a *little* more direct. Not a huge difference, could even all be in my head.

then - i haven't driven it in anger yet

I think i will need new strut-top rubbers pretty soon though.. i've been toying with the idea of having the whole front-end rebuilt/re-rubbered soon anyway.
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

the peugeot sport group a stuff is very cheap compared to the OEM stuff.. have a look at them also... for bushes and stuff

Thread Information