engine swap
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: engine swap

Tadpole

Default engine swap

hey
    i need some information about engine swaps. i will tell u whats going on, my pug 505 SR engine is totally stuffed and beyond repair what i want to do now is put a GM 253 V8 motor in my pug what would i need to do to my pug so the V8 can run, i want to know what parts i need and everything
    i need alot of details thank you

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PUG_405_7000
    hey
    i need some information about engine swaps. i will tell u whats going on, my pug 505 SR engine is totally stuffed and beyond repair what i want to do now is put a GM 253 V8 motor in my pug what would i need to do to my pug so the V8 can run, i want to know what parts i need and everything

you are going to need a very friendly engineer but before that you are going to have to find out if you can register the car with that engine in it

IF you can then you are going to have to do some work to the front end to hold it up with that great lump of iron sitting in the front end and then when you have done that it may probably never ever handle the way the car should as it will be a lead tipped arrow

you are going to need a gearbox that is going to handle the 253

you are in for a bit of work IF you can ever drive it legally
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by PUG_405_7000
    hey
    Seriously, the 253 is a boat anchor. Heavier than a 304, 308 or 350, but with much less power, much less tuning potential and uses just as much fuel. You'd be crazy to use anything smaller than the 304.

However, you'll find that it's very easy to do the conversion. From memory, all the Australian 253s have the trimatic pattern block. If you get a bigger one, make sure that it has the trimatic pattern block.

Then, get a 604 transmission extension housing, output shaft and speedo drive gears. Fit this to the back of the V8 trimatic. The 604 only has three planetary gears on the output shaft whereas the V8 ones have 4, so it won't be quite as strong, but it will do the trick.

Engine mounts should be fairly straightforward. Modified XN engine mounts should be pretty close to the money on the V8 engine, otherwise a simple adaptor plate should have it in the right spot. You have about an inch movement in the diff and tailshaft if neccessary, more so if you have the swinging diff setup (pre 1984 505). Remember that in the pug, unlike in a holden, the engine mounts are only taking the weight of the engine and gyroscopic precession, not the reactive torque from the rear axle. They don't need to be heavily engineered.

The rest of it is just connecting all the usual stuff - exhaust, cooling, electricals, fuel lines, accellerator and choke cables, etc.

If you want to make it a manual though, you're up for a lot more heartache.

The biggest problem though, is dealing with all that extra weight over the front axle. The 505's strong point is it's poise and balance, and you're going to seriously compromise both of them. It would be much easier, and nearly as effective, to just go out and buy a VB commodore. Then stick a Pug 2 litre in it
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Wouldn't the Rover 3.5l V8 be a more practical option? From memory it's lighter, smaller and pretty well bullet proof. I know that the 253 is a tough unit, but as mentioned previously they weigh a lot.

Whilst the 253 rumble would be nice, what about a Jap V6, or even a 1UZF-E Lexus V8? They're also bullet proof and fairly cheap (under $1500 as a half cut if you do your homework), in particular the Lexus V8 is very light in relation to it's size, and a dead easy 200kw.
    1982 505GR (RIP)

Tadpole

Default thank u all

thank u all for the information

I say the SR20DET is a better option (even though i'm not a turbo entusiast), since it keeps the whole thing compact and light, provides plenty of punch, and it's actually been done before (as reported on this very forum!). :p

The car will retain it's french handling, carry over some japanese reliability and parts availability, provide a very simple tuning platform, be perfectly road legal, and go like stink.

I'd love to see the look on ricer's faces as a 505 went pissing by them from the lights, BOV a flutterin'.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

just ask 505_To_The_Max Im sure hes got a fair idea

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    I say the SR20DET is a better option (even though i'm not a turbo entusiast), since it keeps the whole thing compact and light, provides plenty of punch, and it's actually been done before (as reported on this very forum!). :p

The car will retain it's french handling, carry over some japanese reliability and parts availability, provide a very simple tuning platform, be perfectly road legal, and go like stink.

I'd love to see the look on ricer's faces as a 505 went pissing by them from the lights, BOV a flutterin'.
    It's the gift that keeps on giving! I've found that the 505 is an easily controlled drift car too, provided that sufficient power is available.

A CA18DET is also a really good option. Cheaper than an SR, but still very strong and reliable, and smaller externally.

Bowie, I'll PM you next week sometime, as the 505 will be back in Newcastle for good, along with myself.
    1982 505GR (RIP)

Tadpole

How much is the 2005 Peugeot 607 for sale? More details please...

What about a 406 coupe V6 engine? I always wanted to do that.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi 270
    Peugeot 308 GTi 250
    1966 Volvo 122s

Previous
    Clio 182 Cup, Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Speak with an engineer first on what they will certify

Cost a mate $1500 in engineers fees to power up his Commodore.
    Nothing really, the crate engine from USA cost $24,000

They will need to inspect at each stage of the project

Have fun, deep pockets are required

Alternatively, you could buy a used engine from someone on this website (or Pugwreck) and rebuild it. SRs have a pretty simple engine. And possibly yours is not as stuffed as you think it is.....strip it down and see.

engine swap-43920861%5B1%5D.jpg
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

why on earth would anyone use a 253 ..... My old CX2400 was faster than 253 slugomatics in commonbores. If your going to the effort of an engine swap.... lookup chev crate motor on ebay. Or if your feeling wealthy, find an old commonbore with an LS series motor in it .... being all alloy there probably not hugely heavier than the existing motor.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 505 to the max View Post
    Wouldn't the Rover 3.5l V8 be a more practical option? From memory it's lighter, smaller and pretty well bullet proof. I know that the 253 is a tough unit, but as mentioned previously they weigh a lot.

Whilst the 253 rumble would be nice, what about a Jap V6, or even a 1UZF-E Lexus V8? They're also bullet proof and fairly cheap (under $1500 as a half cut if you do your homework), in particular the Lexus V8 is very light in relation to it's size, and a dead easy 200kw.
    forget the rover v8 .... next to the 253 there probably one of the most gutless v8's ever made .... fuel consumption is spectacular for something that makes so little power. I have two of them here at the moment. If one died I'd go looking for a battered old rover with a small block chev or modern GM engine fitted, and move the conversion kit with V8 into mine.

Oh Yeah, the one thing the rover v8 has going for it is the sound ...... it's almost worth feeding it silly amounts of fuel just to listen to the tunes it plays

if you are keen to go ancient technology though .....

Australian Land Rover Owners
    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Peugeot 504/505 engine swaps have been proposed and discussed on this forum plenty of times. The general consensus is the best options are:
    604/605 V6 Easiest conversion, would drop straight in. May have to relocate battery. Not hugely powerful without modifications.
    Lexus V8 Easy to source, plenty of power, modern and LIGHT (alloy) V8.
    Mazda 13B Rotary It's been done atleast once. Anybody know what happened to it?

As for me, I opted to keep the Peugeot motor...

Edit: I just wised up to the fact that this is a really dead thread.
    Last edited by callipygous; 12th February 2015 at 06:11 PM.
    Peugeot 504 Intercooled T04 Turbo.

The work "Forklift" comes to mind.....
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    The work "Forklift" comes to mind.....
    Don't knock "forklifts" and don't ever forget the Coventry climax engine. I suspect the CC engines were well before your time.

However you might remember Sir Jack Brabham who drove open wheeler race cars in 1962, 1963, 1964 and 1965, both of Brabham and Lotus origins powered with much modified Coventry climax forklift/ fire pump engines.

1000+ Posts

And don't forget that the venerable R12 engine was used in some bobcats!

Agree with the verdict on the 253. My Dad had a Commodore with one in it; what a load of rubbish that engine was.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information