Welder
  • Help

Thread: Welder

1000+ Posts

Default Welder

Hi, has anyone used a DHC2000 welder? And what is your opinion?
    www.welddownunder.com
    Cheers

Advertisement

Formerly known as the Dillon welder. The Dillon were a reasonable cutting welding torch, but like all gas welding systems requires a skilled hand to operate effectively, its main feature was that it operated on low gas presure which kept gas consumption down. Don't know about the quality of the DHC 2000 but dillons were OK.
    Regards Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

I've used on when I was in my trade and found them good for silver soldering tubing and the like.
    As a welder, I'd make a good pastry cook but I was always a dab hannd at doing the plumbing work on systems that required them to be able to withstand many p.s.i. and to also have to sweat copper to ferro as well as like metals, so if it's for pipe work I'd say from experience they're great but get someone elses opinion on the welding side of things. I once saw a demo where the (skilled) operator cut a Coke can in half and stuck it back together using one of the Dillons, whereas I'd be flat out sticking 16G steel together without blowing holes in it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

if you're a competent oxy-acetylene welder, you'll have no trouble mastering the Dillon. It has a very small heat affected zone, making it ideal for body repairs, where no filler rod is used. They require special regulators however, as they only use 4-8psi.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

they are a bit of a gimmick.............ok for welding really thin stuff, like tin plate, car panels, (alfoil ).

no good for welding anything decent.

i like their little speach about how it competes with tig and mig......well it really has nothing on tig and mig, and even stick for that matter....

but its allright for little home jobs on car panels or silver soldering water pipes

1000+ Posts

Thanks for all replies. I'll stick with the little inverter TIG i've got. My welding is very average and i realise a good operater can any system make look ace.
    I thought one of those could make my welding look better
    Alan, i've used oxy/acet. 20 odd years ago for silversoldering the copper pipes on our hydronic heating system. Still works well with no leaks. Used it to silversolder (2%) smaller take offs into it by just cutting a hole in the larger pipe and sticking the smaller one in. The DHC/Dilon would only have reduced gas consumption.
    JoBo
    Last edited by JoBo; 11th December 2005 at 08:26 PM.

I used it on refrigeration work including making a deep freeze for a trawler operating as a charter fishing boat on the Reef; that one was a challemge as it was all done on hard drawn copper using silver soldered elbows on each corner and the 1/2" pipe soldered solidly to the copper liner @ 3" centres. The liner was made of 18g copper sheet that had to be cut and brazed together when in situ prior to the insulation being fitted and the outer skin fixed in place. It was 10 foot long by 8 foot wide and 4 foot deep with insulated lids/manholes that I had to drop into to do the work in a Queensland summer........real fun job.
    They operated on LPG and oxy from memory, but there's a Bernzomatic thing available (which I also own) that we used to use for service work in the big smokes when I was down the Gold Coast that is also a LPG/Oxy outfit and consists of each bottle about 500 grams and the hoses about 1 metre and a welding nozzle. The Oxy is as expensive as all hell and only lasts about 20 minutes, but is handy for any small jobs and doesn't cost much; doesn't have to, they catch you with the unfillable bottles, but non the less, handy as a small job or emergency thing and can be bought at Bunnings.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information