more PRV questions - renault/pug trannys
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default more PRV questions - renault/pug trannys

Hello again all

still working on the project motor from my last post, and I've encountered a few more questions that I cant find in the archives here, or anywhere else on the net.

very simply, it seems that there are a goodly number of peugeots around locally (404, and 505 series, plus some I'm not sure about). similarly, there are quite a few available 3.0 eagle premier engines. Unfortunately, the eagles are all automatics, and the manual tranny peugeots are all 4 cylinders. ideally I'd take a complete engine/tranny combo from any of the three manufacturers, and just change bores & heads to get where I want to be, but that just doesnt look like its going to happen.

web search has shown that the Eagle motor is renault based, and uses a renault type bellhousing pattern - is there any way of adapting a peugeot 4 cylinder type bellhousing to the renault bolt pattern? if so, are there any desireable, or undesireable models, or weak points to watch out for? (and where would I find out about the gear ratios in these transmissions ?)

thanks in advance
    chris aka wanderer4x4

Advertisement

Tadpole

Default oy oy oy

geesh..starting to feel like I've got leprousy or something!!

actually, I thought of another option since my last post, but, again, dont know if its feasible. Do ANY of the models that you guys get in australia use the (peugeot ?) BA10 5 speed manual tranny? we got them here for a couple of years in the Jeep Cherokee ( XJ model), and Jeep YJ, and they're sometimes listed as renault trannies, sometimes as peugeot. I know that for the same years there was a rare renault diesel in some cherokees here.....any chance THAT bellhousing and tranny will fit a PRV V6?

also - can someone at least confirm/refute that the Peugeot, and Renault versions use the same bellhousing patterns?

thanks
    chris aka wanderer4x4

Chris,

The following is what I have worked out from playing with these engines myself. Please don't take it as gospel.

PRV engines are a modular engine. The "sump" is basically the lower module of the engine, it consists of the lower block, sump, main bearing braces and lower gearbox mounting lugs. It is secured to the upper block module by the 8 main bearing nuts.

There are three "sumps" avaliable for this engine (in Australia anyway) that I can find. They vary mainly in their engine mounting locations.

1) North-South configuration Rear Wheel drive setup. As found on Peugeot 504 V6 (coupe/cabriolet), 604 and 505, Volvo 26*, 760, 780.

2) North-South configuration Front Wheel drive / North-South configuration Rear Wheel drive setup. As found on the transaxle models, including Renault 30, 25, Alpine A310, A610. I suspect, as you suggest, the Eagle/Dodge derivative has this style as well.

3) East-West configuration Front Wheel drive setup. As found in Peugeot 605, Renault Safrane, Espace, Citroen XM.

I can tell you right now that 1) and 2) DO NOT share the same bell housing pattern. On the Renault version, the two lower lugs are higher up the "imaginary circle" of the bell housing.

I do not know what style bell housing pattern 3) uses. I suspect that it will be the same as one of the other two, but can't be sure.

As for your bell housing issue, I think you'll find that it is a very specific bellhousing for this engine. I know that Peugeot, Renault and Volvo have no other bell housings in their range that will fit this engine, other than those designed specifically for it.

My suggestions to you would be to find a gearbox you like, then make an adapter plate. Failing this, get an automatic bellousing that is removable from the transmission (a la Peugeot 604 with Trimatic, perhaps some Volvos), and redrill the bellhousing to fit any manual box. You will still have to adapt a flywheel and clutch, but donut shaped "combination" thrust bearings and hydraulic slave cylinders all in one are becoming popular for this sort of conversion. It is what I was planning for mine before I found my V6 bell housing for the BA10. The Peugeot BA7 4 speed gearbox from 2 litre 504s or 404s has a very long spigot bush component of the input shaft, I was going to use one of these with my V6. The BA7/4 is plenty strong enough, SO LONG AS IT HAS OIL. The 5 speed version is quite fragile.

Yes, the BA10 was avaliable in Australia in most of the early 2 litre 505s. However, these have a different bell housing and input shaft to the V6 ones. As a point of interest, the input shaft for the V6 is shared with that from a ZEJ (2 litre overhead cam motor) 505, also found in the Talbot Tagora. Once again though, the bell housing is different.

I hope this has shed at least a little light on your issue. Short of finding a 505, 604 or Volvo gearbox, I think your options are limited.

All the best with it,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer4x4
    geesh..starting to feel like I've got leprousy or something!!

actually, I thought of another option since my last post, but, again, dont know if its feasible. Do ANY of the models that you guys get in australia use the (peugeot ?) BA10 5 speed manual tranny? we got them here for a couple of years in the Jeep Cherokee ( XJ model), and Jeep YJ, and they're sometimes listed as renault trannies, sometimes as peugeot. I know that for the same years there was a rare renault diesel in some cherokees here.....any chance THAT bellhousing and tranny will fit a PRV V6?

also - can someone at least confirm/refute that the Peugeot, and Renault versions use the same bellhousing patterns?

thanks
    chris aka wanderer4x4
    Last edited by Demannu; 12th December 2005 at 02:49 PM.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

farmerdave

A bit on the Renault PRV bellhousings...
    RNUR gearboxes are all FWD, the manual gearbox used with the PRV engines(367,369, UN1) has a removable bellhousing that forms the front "wall" of the final drive housing. Likewise, the auto (4141) has this arrangement.
    These gearboxes were fitted to Renault R25v6, R30, as well as Delorean.
    PJ Grady may be able help with a Delorean one. If you go this way, a Toyota Supra gearbox is plenty strong enough.

Scott, do you know if changing the sump section over allows a Peugeot/ovloV bellhousing to be bolted up to a Renault based PRV?

Farmerdave

Scott, do you know if changing the sump section over allows a Peugeot/ovloV bellhousing to be bolted up to a Renault based PRV?
    Yep, sure does.

has a removable bellhousing that forms the front "wall" of the final drive housing.
    RWD Pugs are the same too. Not sure about the ovloVs, but the FWD Pugs the bellhousing also encases the diff housing.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Tadpole

Default thanks

thank you both. pretty much the exact information I've been trying to find. there WERE V6 volvos with manual trannys for this market, and knowing what hits/what fits, I can go shopping through the online parts yards.

once I round up all the bits, I'll post some photos of the driveline W/ propane. should be of interest to the list.

chris aka wanderer4x4

Thread Information