caliper concerns
  • Help

Default caliper concerns

Getting new rotors and pads put on the GTi6 at the moment. Everything was ok until the brake guy got to the left rear. My mechanic thought that the suspension arm may have been bent and thought that I should replace the arm. Yes, a costly exercise. They thought that it may have slid into a gutter at some stage or had a a bigger impact on that side. I had noticed an obvious line where repairers had taped up the left edge of the rear bumper (the rear part of the wheel arch). Took it to a tyre Dunlop tyre joint who siad that the alignment was only VERY SLIGHTLY out on that corner but certainly not bad enough to need replacing the arm. It could be easily adjusted they said. The other problem is that the tyre has obviously worn unevenly. Should have been the alignment?
    Today the brake mechanic said that the pads on that left rear had worn unevenly at about a 15 degree angle and the only way to get new pads in with the new rotor would be to shave the pads before putting them in. He thinks that the hub in not right or something!? The caliper is not parallel to the rotor basically. I am going to have a good look at it tomorrow at the garage but I'm only a novice!
    Does any of this make sense to anyone??? Basically I'm NOT happy! God knows what this is going to cost me!

Advertisement

bml
    Tadpole

its not to late to buy my silver gti

1000+ Posts

There is NO WAY you should be shaving the pads at an angle to fit them. That's just not on.

It sounds like the stub axle might be bent, which needs fixing before the car is driven, really.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Yeah the guy said that he would not shave the pads. He just said that that was the only way they would fit at the moment. He did mention the stub axles though that could be the problem. What is that going to entail though?

1000+ Posts

Sorry, I thought you meant that he was thinking of shaving them!!!

The only real option is to replace the arm, I'm afraid. I think I've heard of people re-straightening the spindle (the axle stub) but I wouldn't, just because I'd be worried about metal fatigue weakening it. Plus, it might be hard to get just right, and you wouldn't know until the tyre chops out or the pads wear on an angle.

Hopefully someone will pipe up that might have had experience with straightening them?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Yes it was the stub axle. Peugeot in Sydney only wanted $800 for a new suspension arm!!!!!!!!! (you can't buy stub axles separately). Bargain!
    Could not get a hold of decent 2nd hand suspension arms so he has belted the original one back straight (as far as he can measure) and put it back in. The whole lot has gone back together well apparently. And yes I'm worried about metal fatigue as well! Will just replace the whole lot when a good 2nd hand one becomes available. I think I now have brain fatigue.

The GTi6 with its new Green stuff pads and slotted rotors is simply awesome! Looks great as well. I went for RDA rotors in the end. Much cheaper than DBA and particularly standard Pug items!!!!! The handling has improved at the rear end thanks to the fixed stub axle.

Thread Information