505 diesel bleeding help needed...
  • Help

Default 505 diesel bleeding help needed...

Hey guys and gals,
    I had a bosch injection pump failure last week and I put a spare on that was identical to the old one and am trying to bleed the system. I think it has a filter that is not stock as there is not bleed valve on the outlet line so I just undid the banjo fitting and bled it that way. Next I tried ot locate the bleed screw on the pump itself but am not sure if I found it. Should it be on the top of the pump or the passenger side or the rear or what? I opened a screw on the passenger side that looked obvious but other than a bit of hissing when I pumped the pressure up on the plunger, nothing came out. I then cracked each line on the injectors one by one and cranked the engine until fuel came out. I started it and it sounds normal but I'm a bit scared that there may still be air in the pump. I cracked the fittings on the injectors as it was running and it ran rough for each one and spit fuel out. Would it run if there were air still in the system? Can I do any damage to it if I drive it and there is? Is there any bosch experts out there that could help as the Haynes manual that I have only shows Rotodiesel pics and is really vague about the bleeding process. Thanks a bunch!

Advertisement
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

If it runs, it's fine.

The system is designed to be self bleeding. If there is too much air in the system, however, the air will compress and therefore no fuel will be displaced from the injector. But if the amount of air is small enough, then the air may still be compressed, but some fuel will still be injected. As long as this is happening, any air bubbles will always move upwards and towards the injector, and eventually, even though it may cause the engine to miss for a few cycles as the injector injects air instead of fuel, the air will leave the system.

This of course is assuming that there is an adequate head of fuel in the filter with no air or leaks in the system.

Sounds to me like you have nothing to worry about.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

This is one area I know rev tuning to work.

By having those small air bubbles and giving the engine a good rev out, it will force most of it out, causing it to miss and stuff, but eventually running clean.

I got caught in a 5 way intersection during peak hour once with my Turbo Diesel Nissan Patrol. The fuel gauge was reading wrong. screwed me right up.

Though, with the nissan, all I did was get about 10L of diesel fuel, poured it in, went to the front, pumped the hand pump next to the lifter pump and then got in and started it.

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Default 505

thanks, I feel much better about it now. I'll take it for a run tomorrow with confidence.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Thread Information