Peugeot 405 cracked block
  • Help

Default Peugeot 405 cracked block

Does anyone know if cracking the block is a common problem on 405's or is this just a one off.
    Thanks Pete

Advertisement

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

reasonably common on alloy engines

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

ive got a 205 si 1.6 with a cracked block,a 205 gti cracked and 405 1.9 8 v cracked

Quote Originally Posted by charles
    ive got a 205 si 1.6 with a cracked block,a 205 gti cracked and 405 1.9 8 v cracked
    Bloody Poogos
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Don't re-use the stretch type head bolts people and always follow the correct procedure for tightening the bolts. I haven't cracked one yet but it definately isn't uncommon.

Dave

The cracked alloy Peugeot blocks that I have seen have all also had corrosion problems with lack of quality coolant changes.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    The cracked alloy Peugeot blocks that I have seen have all also had corrosion problems with lack of quality coolant changes.

I'd like to know more about this problem. Two things have been mentioned - corroded blocks and using stretch head bolts again.

Are these the main two problems?
    Where do the blocks crack?
    Can blocks be repaired?
    Have blocks been repaired? Successfully?
    Is this problem limited to say cars up to end of 1990? (maybe the alloy was changed on later alloy engines to combat this problem)
    Are blocks cracking because stretched head bolts are being used again and the "stretch" procedure is being unwittingly used twice on these bolts?

Ta in advance
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    I'd like to know more about this problem. Two things have been mentioned - corroded blocks and using stretch head bolts again.

Are these the main two problems?
    Where do the blocks crack?
    Can blocks be repaired?
    Have blocks been repaired? Successfully?
    Is this problem limited to say cars up to end of 1990? (maybe the alloy was changed on later alloy engines to combat this problem)
    Are blocks cracking because stretched head bolts are being used again and the "stretch" procedure is being unwittingly used twice on these bolts?

Ta in advance
    Roland
    I am not sure about French blocks, but the others, eg Rover can be welded if damaged and were so from the factory in some cases, (dud casting).

If the failure or leak is as a result of corrosion turning the alloy into so much cheese, then the block is no more than a lightweight anchor. As installed, in many a Fiat.

I have not had any experience in reusing Pug head bolts, but I understand it is a NO NO.
    Holden yes, French-no
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

The problem with the bolts is they only stretch once. In the tightenig procedure you tighten them to a certain torque then a further specified number of degrees, now if you use old bolts you will over torque significantly during that last step.

Corrosion is also definately a problem, many people have told me about their low milage blocks needing to be devcon'd during the rebuild procedure.

Dave

Thanks for the info guys.
    Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Our BX TZi (same engine as a 405) was a genuine low klm Adelaide car...

It had an extensive service history when purchased... BUT... two issues...

Low klms over time means the car sat a lot and / or did a lot of short trips

Adelaide means hard water and an even greater need for regular cooling system flushes and good quality coolant.

But it also had a leaking heater matrix (probably for some time) which meant frequent cooling system top ups (and as it seems only with H20 and not coolant...!)

When we pulled it apart to do what we thought was a head gasket... there was a hole in the block... quite obviously due to corrosion...

Luckily the purchase price and overall condition of the car made an engine rebuild worthwhile (given we'd already replaced the Auto!) and at the same time we replaced the rings which elminated the other notorious problem these engines have and that is excessive oil consumption...

The stretch head bolts eliminate the need to retorque the head.. but are definitely a throw away item...

Now well sorted and 25,000klms later it uses NO oil, pulls like a train and 15 years after it was made provides comfortable, (ultra) reliable and economical (about 8.5l / 100klms) transport daily...
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Thread Information