Afm
  • Help

Thread: Afm

Default Afm

Has anyone ever used a bigger afm on their 205 etc from another make of car? Didn't a great number of manufactures use bosch fuel injection systems (incl Porsche). I just interested since most of the sites state that rather than getting bigger throttle bottle body, injectors etc, the main restriction is the flow on the afm. Is this right? (Peter T)

Advertisement
    Present: 406 petrol 2.0 turbo 97(GB Import), 205 gti 1.9 89, Yamaha TZR250 3xv 93 (Jap Import)

Past: 205 gti 1.6 1988 (Singpr Import), Citroen 1.9 BX16valve, 405 1.9 mi16, 405 2.0 mi16,
    205 si 93, Mini GT, Datsun SSS x3, Dodge Ram, kingswood, Yamaha TZR250 2ma x2

Hey mate...You've left your Barina's lights on

Fellow Frogger!

I think you're going to find your time is better spent converting to a MAP based injection system.

Fellow Frogger!

I am not a total guru on this, but you can go bigger and bigger with an AFM, but it still has the flap inside which restricts airlfow, where if you switch to a MAP or TPS there is no restriction and therefore better airflow, but going to all that trouble you may as well as go for quads, but the prob is the $, but I can see what you mean, if you have a bigger AFM, despite the flap, in theory there should be more flow.... if the plug on the 205 fits another AFM it should work, but I am not sure, let us know the outcome..
    05' Megane 225 Cup

If you want more power then the easiest and best route is to change ECU's, so the engine load is sensed via manifold pressure and/or throttle position. If you wish to retain the OEM look, you can remove the flap in the AFM and nobody will know the difference.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pugsy
    I am not a total guru on this, but you can go bigger and bigger with an AFM, but it still has the flap inside which restricts airlfow, where if you switch to a MAP or TPS there is no restriction and therefore better airflow, but going to all that trouble you may as well as go for quads, but the prob is the $, but I can see what you mean, if you have a bigger AFM, despite the flap, in theory there should be more flow.... if the plug on the 205 fits another AFM it should work, but I am not sure, let us know the outcome..
    Your forgetting the biggest issue, the AFM is simply just an Air flow meter that you can plug on if the hose connections fit.

It's a highly calibrated peice of electronics that has it's carbon track/spring lazer cut and matched for your specific engine. You can't just put a bigger AFM on and expect it not to seriously impact your fueling (ie: make the car run like sh!t). You need to get another AFM that has that is calibrated identically to the original AFM on your car.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Your forgetting the biggest issue, the AFM is simply just an Air flow meter that you can plug on if the hose connections fit.

It's a highly calibrated peice of electronics that has it's carbon track/spring lazer cut and matched for your specific engine. You can't just put a bigger AFM on and expect it not to seriously impact your fueling (ie: make the car run like sh!t). You need to get another AFM that has that is calibrated identically to the original AFM on your car.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Thnaks Shane, that makes sense
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Thread Information