Re-wiring an Automobile
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Re-wiring an Automobile

It appears as though Poochie needs a few new wires here & there, so looks like i'll have to do a bit of re-wiring.

Advertisement

Few questions:
    Whats the best general purpose grade? (i know it depends on loads, but assume power windows, lights etc, 15A sufficient?)
    Colouring? every wire should be a different colour so it can be traced, so short of getting a loom, its all going to be red/black! Any tips/tricks people use? labels/markings?

As for connections, i only ever use soldering & heat shrink methods, & if its fig 8, then join at different positions to reduce the chance of shorting.
    If its to be connected to the chassis etc, then star washers & good mechanical connections are always used.

You've certainly got me curious as to what Poochie is. I assume it isn't like the dog car thing in Dumb and dumber
    Anyway, to answer your question, I checked the manual for my 205 and found that the power windows use a 20 amp fuse and quite a few other things use 20 or 25 amp fuses. It might be a good idea to check what rating fuses Poochie uses to work out what sort of wiring you need.
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Scarey stuff Nate.
    I see a fair amount of rewiring done here as my son is an authorised MoTeC installation agent and some of the jobs he's tackled frighten the pants off most. I usually start to watch, then my head hurts and I have to walk off, but the one thing I seem to notice is he usually begins with an intact harness and then removes the wires one by one from there. He also uses a variety of colours which he also keeps a map of for future reference. He also alters the wires at time to allow for increased load or in some instances where the original was too light. 8/10amp wire is fairly commonly used in lots of areas with up to 30 in others.
    I feel that if you just run them in red and black, you're going to give yourself some future headaches. An alternative of course is to do as the French do and use various coloured sleeves just prior to the spade terminals so you can identify when you trouble shoot.
    For the record, when he does one of these, he usually tears the dash, seats, pillar internal trims and often the seats out to expose as much of it as he can. He also usually has all the relays and fuse boxes exposed fully also; you'll find there's no such thing as a shortcut when playing with the wiring harness.
    Unless this is some kind of a special, I'd be inclined to go with a harness..

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Scarey stuff Nate.
    He also uses a variety of colours which he also keeps a map of for future reference.
    Or worse still, use green for everything like a Citroen!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Or worse still, use green for everything like a Citroen!

Ahh yes, but that's where the sleeves come in which is a brilliant idea until..........................the sleeves fall off!!

Alan S

1000+ Posts

One point, Nate; 15A cable is pretty thick...I'd take Alan's advice!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Icon7

what exactly is Poochie...?

a Renault 5 Turbo by any chance....
    Renault Sport Clio 172.

I reckon I've got Poochie sussed, the penny dropped with me the other day. :-) Nice pick up!

My suggestion would be to obtain a loom from the same marque car, say something from Pick-A-Part, that way you get to select a good loom that hasnít been stuffed around with, and hopefully has the same colour/gauge wires that already exist in the loom to match up (if restoration and upgrading isnít required). If Poochie is what I think it is it shouldnít be too hard to find a loom from another totally different model of the same marque in good condition.

Then depending on the extent of the damage, you could splice a plug in place and just renew the end of the loom (say all the dash loom) with a new plug in replacement (using multi plugs from Jaycar or equivalent). That way you can retain the original colour and gauge of the wires by using the cannibalised loom. With the work that I have done, I found unravelling the tape from the loom, then temporarily holding the unravelled wires in place with twist ties, then remove, renew or replace the scrappy wires, then retaping the loom works well. Retaping looms seems to be an art, Iím just glad I did work experience at an auto electrican years ago. It makes it easy !!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Ahh yes, but that's where the sleeves come in which is a brilliant idea until..........................the sleeves fall off!!

Alan S
    The sleeves don't fall off ..... In the case of the DS they all fade until there basically the same colour

The easiest way to find what a wire does is unplug it and see what stops working Or in the case of most DS/CX's find dozens of wires unplugged and just about everything working ... sort of ... Just don't try to plug the b@stards back in ... That'll cause more issue than leaving them unplugged.

It's certainly not original, but I always do the "one for one" replacement. ie: unwrap the harness containing it with loose cable ties. Then replace each wire one at a time, using new soldered on brass terminals with heatshrink over the connector. The I use modern plastic harness shells to contain the wires. If it must be original the next owner can always remove the plastic harnesses and retape the looms (I'm not a fan of messy loom tape, that usually very deteriated).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RXE 2.0
    what exactly is Poochie...?
    a Renault 5 Turbo by any chance....
    Sorta close... but no, its not a Renault 5 Turbo

yeah cheers for the help guys...
    i'm rather pedantic about stuff & at the end of the day bad work is a fire hazard! So it'll be done properly, it was just the colour thing...

I know that its aeroplane stuff but this gives a lot of basics re wiring and wire repairs

http://www.casa.gov.au/rules/1998casr/021/021c99.pdf

also try this site

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...ighlight=43.13

cheers hope it helps... a car is just as complicated as a light aircraft
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

1000+ Posts

Well looks like Poochie was re-wired!

They cut the plugs of everything & then used BLUE cable for every cable!!!
    The ends remain the same colour though...

Also used some dodgy crimp on cable joiners...

*sigh*

If you're having wiring problems, and if they have used those useless knife type crimp on comnnectors, get rid of them and you'll solve 99% of all electrical problems.
    A lot of that type of connector uses aluminium in the actual part that touches the copper wire, so guess what that does? Those connectors are the bane of my life!!

Alan S

Thread Information