Fueltank float replacement?
  • Help

Default Fueltank float replacement?

In the older Renaults the float in the tank is a piece of cork painted with some "shelak", spelling OK? Eventually this cork cracks open and it gets soaked with fuel causing the gauge to be very inaccurate.

Has anybody replaced this cork with something else that worked successfully in fuel?

Any ideas?

Frans.

Advertisement
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans
    In the older Renaults the float in the tank is a piece of cork painted with some "shelak", spelling OK? Eventually this cork cracks open and it gets soaked with fuel causing the gauge to be very inaccurate.

Has anybody replaced this cork with something else that worked successfully in fuel?

Any ideas?

Frans.
    The fuego has a little sealed plastic bottle,which after 20 years is pristine.
    jo

Hey Frans

I replaced both my floats about a month ago in the GEE. I just used new corks but coated/sealed them in Fibre Glass Resign, just to prevent them from breaking down and sinking, so far it seems to be working well.

I reckon if you can get your hands on a brass float, that would probably be best. Maybe if you modify a float out of a DCOE or something ??
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Thread Information