205 replacement dashes
  • Help

View Poll Results: Is your 205 dash cracked?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

3 37.50%
  • Yes, and I would be interested in buying a replacement.

4 50.00%
  • Yes, but I wouldn't be interested in buying a replacement.

1 12.50%

Default 205 replacement dashes

After hearing that there are quite a few 205 dashes that are cracked, I'm toying around with the idea of making a 205 dash mould to create fibreglass replicas. It can be made such that it will be padded with high-density foam to comply with safety requirements and then covered in vinyl etc. I'm not too sure how much it will cost me to make yet, but as long as my costs are reasonable and depending on the number of dashes I could sell, a very preliminary estimate is around the $600 mark. So this is basically scouting for who is interested. I would also need to make the mould, so whoever can supply their dash to me will get the first one I make for cost only.

Advertisement
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

$600 is a lot of money to spend on a car thats worth $5000 and up, though that said astheticly it could be a lot more pleasing then looking at a cracked dash. I think you'd get a lot of orders from S1 205 owners, and maybe that would be the best thing to atempt first
    Last edited by orestes; 23rd November 2005 at 02:53 PM.

al

I would be interested, but i have found a later model replacement dash for half that.

I realise that making things like this is expensive, but most S1s aren't worth enough to justify spending that on. (unless it is significantly lighter etc...)

Perhaps f*** the foam and saftey standards and it would be more viable?
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

oops, I put that I would be interested but I didn't know you had to own one, that had a cracked dash

Lets just say that I would be interested if I owned a 205 GTi with a cracked dash

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    After hearing that there are quite a few 205 dashes that are cracked, I'm toying around with the idea of making a 205 dash mould to create fibreglass replicas. It can be made such that it will be padded with high-density foam to comply with safety requirements and then covered in vinyl etc. I'm not too sure how much it will cost me to make yet, but as long as my costs are reasonable and depending on the number of dashes I could sell, a very preliminary estimate is around the $600 mark. So this is basically scouting for who is interested. I would also need to make the mould, so whoever can supply their dash to me will get the first one I make for cost only.
    From speaker boxes to this, man your diversifying jude! Umm... how many padded dashes have you made before?
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Jude - sounds like a good plan - If you need a hand I should be able to help you out. There's a place in Adelaide called Dash Original that do restored dashes for loads of cars - have you checked out if they already do one for the 205?

You dont want to end up re-inventing the wheel and losing $ in the process.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

1000+ Posts

Someone sells these in the UK [fibre glass ] see Drivers Forum.
    I have a spare S1 top of dash skin specifically kept for this purpose so if its of any useplease let me know.

cheers JR
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Fellow Frogger!

Dash Orginal don't do have a 205 dash but they sure could make one if you gave them something to copy, I had my second dash re-coloured there, great guys and service.

Don't forget it's not just the binnacle parts, but also, on mine at least, the bits the binnacle screw into are broken as well, I made some custom brackets up to re-mount the dash and i read that Bazz used silicon and screws for his.

I have toyed with the idea as well but came to the conclusion that it could not be done at a reasonable cost, although a full carbon fibre jobby would be pretty cool..

*EDIT* Dash orginal has a web site http://www.dashoriginal.com.au can look through and see the sort of work they do....
    Last edited by pugsy; 23rd November 2005 at 11:39 PM.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Thanks heaps for all the info guys. Unfortunately given that there's a place that already does it pretty well, I doubt I'll be going ahead with the idea at this stage. Having said that, should anyone want to buy a full or part carbon fibre one, I can do that, though since it most likely would be a one-off and the material is very expensive, it would be a POA job!

Basically if I can find something where I could sell a reasonable number of parts, I would use a method called vacuum infusion, which is a step above vacuum bagging. It is especially excellent for lightweight, high strength applications with carbon fibre. Since it's not as resin intensive as hand layup, you get a lighter part for even greater strength. It's not as good as autoclave (but very close) but nowhere near as expensive.

Jim, further to my earlier ventures, I've now got a full Certificate from the PARTEC inst. in FRP tech so I don't think it'll be too much trouble taking on more complicated stuff. Will be making a small balsa-core grp sandwich panel sailing boat over the next year or so. I just hope the sharks don't find it tempting when I take it out on the gulf!

Anyway, if anyone can think of an application which quite a few people would be interested in, that'd be much appreciated. Any gti180 owners wanna rice up their cars with some carbon fibre bonnets?

- 306 gti6

Hmmmm.... how much would a CF bonnet be for a 205GTI? I'm not after the clear gelcoat CF weave look but would rather paint it red to match the rest of the car. I'm after the weight saving, not the look. I would expect similar construction to the metal one, with hollow ribs, etc to ensure adequate stiffness.

I'm led to believe that clear gelcoat (otherwise essential for the fashion conscious) is more difficult to do well (which raises the price) and clear gelcoat needs to be laid thicker to stop pocketing (which pushes up the weight). Note that I don't even understand the last point, but I read it somewhere.

I do suspect that the price may be quite high for the weight saving.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Hmmmm.... how much would a CF bonnet be for a 205GTI? I'm not after the clear gelcoat CF weave look but would rather paint it red to match the rest of the car. I'm after the weight saving, not the look. I would expect similar construction to the metal one, with hollow ribs, etc to ensure adequate stiffness.

I'm led to believe that clear gelcoat (otherwise essential for the fashion conscious) is more difficult to do well (which raises the price) and clear gelcoat needs to be laid thicker to stop pocketing (which pushes up the weight). Note that I don't even understand the last point, but I read it somewhere.

I do suspect that the price may be quite high for the weight saving.

Rick
    Can be done of course... about $120 per metre CF, prob need at least 10 m, then epoxy, prob need about 10 litres= $200, certainly easier to do without clear gelcoat=cheaper.
    205gti

Yeah I don't think it would be worth it, unless it was for professional motorsport. The oem steel bonnet I would estimate around 20 kg. A carbon fibre one to give the necessary stiffness would be around 6-7kg. Yes it's a reduction by a factor of 3, but it is only 13 kg reduction so wouldn't make a huge difference. But if you want it, sure!

It's really hard to estimate price. Cost alone: 200 gm sheet of cf mat would be around $60-80/sqm. I'd guess a 205 bonnet to be a bit over 2 sqm. You'd need a 2 or 3 sheets of cf. Wouldn't use hollow ribs, it would be divinycell (foam) or balsa with cf around it.

Clear gelcoat wouldn't be too much trouble, especially with modern gelcoats (it's similar to the normal resin anyway). The only thing with clear gelcoat is the mold itself would have to be spot-on, perfectly smooth, and when you lay the cf, you would have to organise it so the different pieces of mats have fibres all orientated so it looks continuous.

A lot of work, especially working out the right amount of material and ribs/stiffening to minimise weight yet retain strength. Incorporating the latch, hinges etc would be tricky too. It would be alright if you could sell a heap of it, but as a one off, since it would take at least a couple week's worth of stuffing around, I'd charge 2 grand for labour alone, and then add another grand for material (remembering the fibreglass used to make the mold itself). Come to think of it, I'm not too keen on making one-offs because I'm not experienced enough in it so take too much time, especially in making and preparing the mold. With a decent volume, the time to make the mold becomes worth it.

The vacuum infusion method is awesome. Takes a while to setup, but once done you just dry lay the cloth in the mold, put it under vacuum with a feeder line for the correct resin volume. The vacuum inside sucks and spreads the resin perfectly and the once dry cloth wets through all by itself in about 5 minutes, no time consuming and messy, resin rich hand rolling at all.

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    Can be done of course... about $120 per metre CF, prob need at least 10 m, then epoxy, prob need about 10 litres= $200, certainly easier to do without clear gelcoat=cheaper.
    Ouch! What width rolls does that come in? You can get 200 gm non-twill weave cloth from FGI for about 80/sqm. You wouldn't need so much for a bonnet. 2mm thick laminate, especially with the balsa core ribs is plenty for a bonnet the size of a 205.

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Jude

Being serious here, how hard is it to make sub boxes that are made to fit the boot of hatches? It could be made such that the back end is moulded to fit into one side of the hatch back and the sub could fire towards the other side of the boot. Maximises space usage. The cool thing is that you can then alter the volume of the box by simply adjusting the mounting depth of the baffle board for the sub.

Something to think about I guess....
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Thread Information