Mi 16 query
  • Help

Thread: Mi 16 query

Default Mi 16 query

Good fellow Mi 16 experts or those capable with such,

on starting via jump start neg to eng. earth, first go started, second time no start tick tick tick per solenoid then nothing and nothing since..............any ideas please?

Advertisement

ed ge

Try first up getting the wire to the solenoid and hitting it on the + terminal and see if that turns it, if it does, chances are you'll get away with a relay on the wire to the solenoid. If not, whip the starter out and check the carbon brushes. They have a tendency to clap out the brushes as they sit, spring loaded against the end of the commutator not sitting onto the circumference of it as is the norm and the springs begin to stuff up which causes dodgy starts and burns the brushes.
    Full story here:

General Mi16/BX16V starter motor removal.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Hi ed ge,

Further to Alan's post, I found that any problem that reduces the current at the starter triggers this problem. So, bad connections at the battery, earths etc. will exacerbate it. However, it's just an indicator that the things in Alan's link need to be done. I cleaned up all the battery terminals etc. and it fixed the problem for a while, but on the first hot day lste weekend - click, click...

It seems to be worse when the starter is hot.

A job for one weekend...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thanks Alan & Stuey,

I am recharging battery, 24 hours so far (down below an amp now), am concerned it's not one of those terrible problems that something has blown up in jump starting, will know more tomorrow morning.

Also, this vehicle has sat for 7 months without startup, when it did start yesterday smoke billowed from exhaust area in engine bay for minutes, this is what made me turn it off. The owner's hubby says it sometimes does this and to leave car running and it will stop after 5 minutes or so and be ok after that and I am to top up oil,,,,,,, ever heard of anything like this? seems like leaking rocket cover gasket and in need of fixing not outwaiting?

ta ed ge

Yep leaky rocker cover gasket.
    Mine used to do it but get this; I changed to 0W40 oil and it stopped doing it.
    Just let it run at idle for a few minutes until it gets rid of it and all should be well. Don't give it any hard fast blatts in case it lights it up!!

Loose battery terminals of course will also cause the click and no go.

Alan S

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

sounds like a car that is going to need a thorough going through and maybe even a timing belt wouldn't go astray either

the question is why has it sat for so long ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

No, no Rambo, car all up to date and only just 10k serviced and then parked, owner interstate.

ed ge

Thanks guys,

day and a half on the charger and all seems ok, started first hit, oil smoke limited will change rocket cover gasket and all will be tickety boo.

ed ge

Wait till you get the price for it and you might have second thoughts. Besides the outer gasket (rubber type) there's also a few washer things to go around the plug holes, (also rubber) so I grabbed a tube of gasket sealer and painted both mating surfaces on everything. I've also pulled dry engines apart that have also had that done, so that might not only be the cheapest option but also the most effective.
    I also have thought about using small "O" rings on the heads of the bolts as there seems to be always a weeping around them.

Alan S

Thread Information