Fuel smell S1 Mi16
  • Help

Icon5 Fuel smell S1 Mi16

Hey guys,

Another niggling little problem has surfaced over the last few weeks.

Any time i get in the car after it has been sitting for more than, say an hour, the inside reaks of petrol. I noticed it for the first time this arvo that i could here the petrol 'glugging', if that makes sense, back into the tank i guess, after i had turned off the car off. Got in the car 2 hours later and it bloody reaked, the worst i've smelt it.

Any ideas, though i've yet to check the fuel lines.

Cheers

Alex

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Critical for replacement on an Mi16 is the rubber fuel lines, as they have to endure so much heat. They start behind the engine on the firewall, passenger side, and attach to two steel hoses - feed and return. You should probably replace these as a matter of course with fuel injection rated hose, and new worm drive clamps. Unless, of course, it's been done recently.

Also, the fuel injector O-rings may need replacement; about $25 worth for a non-OEM kit including a few other bits and pieces.

Finally in the danger stakes, check that the charcoal canister purge line is attached and not broken. This hose is a black plastic affair under the throttle body, with an electrical valve on it. The canister absorbs fuel vapours which are purged into the intake during running, to be burned. Follow the hose and check it - the canister can let fumes out.

The other thing is the fuel hoses and filter down the back near the rear suspension. Stick your head under here - if it's a leak around this lot, you should smell it pretty quickly.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

The guage pickup, pre-pump and return line is under the rear seat. So any loose or cracked hoses here and you'll smell it instantly in the cabin. Best check it out quickly as a cabin fire would be very nasty.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I replaced my fuel lines between pump and injector rail with a injector rated hose. Lsted about 6 weeks before it too started to crack. The only solution was genuine pug part at around $ 100. They get you again. greg

Fellow Frogger!

a while ago i too noticed a strong fuel smell inside my 205. i found it was the fuel lines at the pump, under the rear seat. they looked ok but when i took them off they were eaten to the ply! bought 2-3 meters of fuel line and replaced all i could, clamped not plumbed that is.
    Puggy.

Thread Information