Power Outputs for S1 Mi16 & idling problems
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Power Outputs for S1 Mi16 & idling problems

Hi there,

This is a two part question.

The first is that i'm going to get my S1 Mi16 run on the dyno to see what power she's putting out, partly out of curiosity, and partly to see if anything can be related to the problem in the second question. Has anyone done this as factory standard, and what power figures did you get?

Advertisement

Also, she still seems to be running rough at idle. I've replaced the injectors, leads, plugs and had it tuned, it was running lean, but to no avail. The engine mounts are fine also. I posted a thread on this a while ago before i got the new injectors but this didn't improve it. I also swapped the air flow meter for a different one to see if that worked but again, no improvement.

I'm at a loss to what it is. It's almost like a small misfire and it happens every second or so when idling, and you can hear it coughing and spluttering out the exhaust. It revs cleanly and very smoothly.

If anyone has any suggestions of where to look it would certainly relieve my headache!

Cheers

Alex

Figures will differ from dyno to dyno, but you should see 75-80 kW at the wheels. Try the same as Ky went to, Autotech Services. Do a search and you'll find Ky's dyno sheets on here.

It could be an exhaust valve not seating properly. A compression check might help.

Here's a before and after when Ky upgraded to my Stage I inlet cam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power Outputs for S1 Mi16 & idling problems-stage1_cam.jpg  
    Last edited by PeterT; 15th November 2005 at 08:03 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks Peter,

Hadn't thought of a compression test, i'll see what happens with that.

With the dyno sheet, i take it that the sharply increasing line is the power curve, but what is the other line?

Cheers

Alex

black - std. inlet cam power and AFR
    red - stage 1 inlet cam power and AFR

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

My car had a similar symptom and it was a shagged coil. Wouldn't hurt to check the resistances at the coil terminals. It was easy to diagnose on mine because the coil was arcing out between the base of the connector on the LT side and the mounting bracket It now idles nicely and has much stronger spark
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

1000+ Posts

Vacuum leak ??? possibly around inlet manifold somewhere. My 2c's

cheers JR
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Thread Information