Wheel Alignment
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Wheel Alignment

Default Wheel Alignment

I'm after somewhere in Sydney to go for a wheel alignment on the Clio.

I want to put in some Camber bolts to dial in around 1.5deg -ve camber, but I also want to go to someone reputable who is involved with motorsport.

Can anyone suggest somewhere good?

I live out west near Blacktown.

Cheers,

Advertisement

Anthony
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1

I want to put in some Camber bolts to dial in around 1.5deg -ve camber, but I also want to go to someone reputable who is involved with motorsport.
    It's not as simple as just putting in camber bolts. I'll my clio on the hoist 2morrow, (too dark now), and find out what has to be done.

OK.

Front End
    The only adjustment in the front end is toe.

If you look at the strut towers there is no provision for adjustable strut tops.
    There are two ways to get more camber into the front end:
    *offset the holes of the strut-to-upright inboard
    *extend the lower control arm

The easiest way to get more camber would be to have some coilover struts made with removeable damper inserts and offset strut-to-upright mount holes (top hole inboard, lower hole out, etc, 10-25mm). Camber will be fixed, (non adjustable), but if you require more camber the struts can be bent for an increase of up to 5deg extra.

Using standard Renault struts, the top hole could be drilled inboard but you will need an engineering signatory for that and with all the headache that causes you may aswell get coilys.
    Standard struts can not be bent like the coilovers because the damper is directly housed withing the strut body where as the insert of the coily can be removed. Bent dampers don't work.

The other way is to modify the lower control arms, which will need engineering.
    The ball joint end needs to be removed then the ball joint mounting holes in the control arm need welding up and a steel plate welded ontop so that new holes can be drilled further outboard.

Rear End
    Nothing is adjustable in the rear end.

If you want more camber in the rear there are two ways to do it.
    *have a whole rear beam built from scratch
    *manually bend the standard beam with heat

Coilover costs:
    Springs x2= $200
    Dampers x2= $400 e.g. Bilstein
    Coilover bodies= ? don't know

Companies that can do this in Sydney would probably be Noltec, Whiteline, Wholesale Suspension and Magic Performance in Brookvale. Noltec will at least be able to supply parts like threaded sleeves and platforms.

Overseas companies might make a coilover but i would suggest against buying one of these products because of the low quality components, expensive pricing and No product support.

Australian made coilovers can be built within a week.

Also, -1.5deg is not nearly enough. My clio has -0.9deg camber on the front & -1.2deg on the rear. (i don't know what the factory measurements are, that's what i measured.) I wouldn't notice -1.5deg and neither would the tyres.
    -3deg camber minimum and 2mm toe out.

-3.0: Road tyres* under $175ea
    -3.5: Road tyres* over $175ea
    -4.0 to -4.5: R-spec tyres
    -4.5 to -5.5: Slicks

(*price approximately based on 195/50R15)

(he's talking about eccentric bolts and i've turned it into custom coilovers. WTF?)
    Last edited by Bluey; 15th November 2005 at 11:29 PM.

Thread Information