205 gti fuel gauge findings
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 gti fuel gauge findings

was looking on the 205gti drivers forum last night and picked up this good peice of info.
    its more for the series 1-2 gti owners than the series 3 owners.
    apparently the fuel gauge was not set up properly on the older cars with the last half of the tank seeming to go down faster than the first half.
    this was because the half way indicator was not properly positioned in the first 2 series.
    on the later series in the uk at least,the half way mark is about at 2 oclock instead of 12 oclock.
    they say that the wrong senders were used for the first 2 series and that it was corrected by the 2 oclock position which gave a far more linear/accurate view of the fuel usage.
    now id like to ask a question .
    exactly how many litres go in a 205 gti petrol tank.
    the book says 50 ltrs.
    ive never got more than 40 in my tank when reading empty with the warning light on constantly.
    now i dont know how many ltrs are left when the light is on but the book says 5 ltrs.
    maybe its coming on early ,which aint a bad thing.
    has anyone here ever got more than 40 ltrs in a tank.
    and also chris snell ,this answers your question from the other night.-BAZZ

Advertisement

a 205 has a 50l tank, and on one ocassion (because the servo was shut) I have had to drive a good 15-20km or so with the warning light on. You would really have to run your car empty, or drain your fuel tank to find out it's true capacity, but I for one believe that it is 50l as it says

1000+ Posts

My 87/88 Series 1 never got more than 43 litres into it and that was a 38 litre tank. I remember reading about that and thinking how small it was.

Matt

I fit 52 litres into mine one afternoon. All the way to the top...

al

Quote Originally Posted by jason micheluzz
    I fit 52 litres into mine one afternoon. All the way to the top...
    52L would take about a year to get into the two 205s i've had to fill up... Does anyone else have problems with the pump just clicking off constantly?

And matthew - 43 litres of petrol into a 38 litre tank...? How does that work?
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Yep Unless i get the nozzle in exeactly perfectly it's fill *click*, fill *click*, fill *click*, 205's are great aren't they Al

I've only managed to get 39.5 litres into my car, but the tank wasn't as empty as I've had it.
    A few months ago when I was going for a drive, I was first heading to get petrol as I knew I was low but didn't realise just how low until my car started running a bit funny while waiting at traffic lights... I was almost empty , but I didn't fill the tank as I was going overseas for a couple of months a few days after the drive...
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

I got 42 liters into mine yesterday and the light hadn't come on yet. Only had the light come on once and then 45 liters fit in from memory. Yeah the gauge is crap! 300 miles is around the limit for me around town, so I usually fill up around the 275 mile mark and it would typically take 40 odd liters. Even when I've reached the 150 mile mark the gauge is still reading over 3/4 full!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by al
    52L would take about a year to get into the two 205s i've had to fill up... Does anyone else have problems with the pump just clicking off constantly?

The Si is fine, unleaded filler neck. GTI has the large leaded filler neck but tends to kick back.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Boldy
    I got 42 liters into mine yesterday and the light hadn't come on yet. Only had the light come on once and then 45 liters fit in from memory. Yeah the gauge is crap! 300 miles is around the limit for me around town, so I usually fill up around the 275 mile mark and it would typically take 40 odd liters. Even when I've reached the 150 mile mark the gauge is still reading over 3/4 full!
    miles... you mean Kms right? cause i can't get 300 miles out of my tank!

and Al, thats a good point, 43L into a 38L tank, huh? funny. what series have what L tanks? does anyone know? when i've searched i've only ever found info on 50L tanks on GTi's...?

and what's with that fuel line, it always backs up. and just when i think i found the right angle, it changes on me...?

i've had the same issues! warning light coming up, but when i fill it, only 35L goes in! so that means i have 15L left. problem is that's a long time for the warning light to cry wolf! i need a warning that screams "PETROL, GET IT NOW! NOW!! NOW!!!" not: "Ahh, you might want to get petrol. in your own time of course, probably won't run-out for a little bit... Oh i was wrong!"

after some time i concluded that i had a 50L tank... but this was thrown into doubt when my girlfriend and it were taking a lovely holiday down the princes hwy . the warning light came on, so i decided to be clever and calculate how much we had left until we needed to fill up...

"well we've got this far, and the light always comes on with 15L to go, so that gives us like over a 100kms... i hadn't even finished the sentance and we heard...cough, splutter, cough, cough!

you couldn't have time it if you tried . not so funny was the running out of petrol JUST b4 the crest of a hill, at the bottom of which was the only servo in 100Kms!!! well that was funny,

still the warning light comes on at 35L, and i have filled up to about 45L max, so i have no idea what it going on anymore! it seems that when the warning light comes on, i may or may not run out of petrol in the not to distant or fairly distant future...

oh well
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by al

i always put the nozzle in on an angle and it seems to be alright.-BAZZ

Oh yeah, and when my car nearly ran out of petrol, the warning light wasn't even on but the needle was pointing to Empty. My petrol warning light does work, but after this epsiode I don't really trust it...
    I don't have any trouble with the pump constantly clicking off when I'm filling up. Only when the tank is nearly full does it click.
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

My best is 46 litres after travelling 513 kms on the last full tank. My fuel light has never come on, but I suspect it's busted. I never rely on the gauge anyway.
    ------------------------------
    '88 205GTi

the warning lights are actually a 2 stage process.this worked for about the first 2 years i had the car but not properly now.
    its called 2 stage advance warning/warning light.
    the light will flash intermitently when the fuel level is below 11 ltres.
    the light will stay lit when the fuel level is below 3 ltrs.
    this information is on page 22 of the owners handbook
    on page 81 in the table of capacities it says the tank is 50 ltrs.
    this is the handbook that came with the car.
    as im its 3 owner all the books and service manuals were still in very good nick.
    just shows you how inacurate the gauges are in these cars.
    -BAZZ

Fellow Frogger!

ok thats why it flashes then stays lit! thank you Bazz, great info. i really should purchase a handbook.
    Puggy.

1000+ Posts

mmm Its been a while but yes I have put 43 litres into my 38 litre tank, I can only think that the 38 litres is a bit conservative. I will check the owners manual again but rest assured the 43 litres was after 540 km's and the light was on and I do not think there was much if anything left in the tank.

It is a series 1 car, may make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    mmm Its been a while but yes I have put 43 litres into my 38 litre tank, I can only think that the 38 litres is a bit conservative. I will check the owners manual again but rest assured the 43 litres was after 540 km's and the light was on and I do not think there was much if anything left in the tank.

It is a series 1 car, may make a difference.

well if its a series 1 205 gti then it has a 50 ltre tank according to the handbook.
    i think it probably is 50 litres.
    my gauge is very inacurate and as the trip meter wont rest to zero i drive off the odometer now.
    -BAZZ

Thread Information