Falken Azenis RT615 - First Impressions
  • Register
  • Help

Default Falken Azenis RT615 - First Impressions

I finally got the brand new Azenis RT615's 195/60R14 fitted to the MX5 today at Quickfit Bowen Hills. I've been waiting 2 months for these to finally get to our shores and last week I final got the call I'd been waiting for, however at that time I had no idea of what they'd cost. Considering the RS and RT215's were around $160-180ea I was expecting an initial price of around $200-220. Went I was told they'll supply them fitted for $195 +$5 for getting the tyre weight matched to the rim weight, I was very happy.

While they were being fitted this morning I was told the RRP was $335 :shock: however I would be able to get them around $260-280 from a good dealer. This to me sounds way to expensive considering they are not an R-spec tyre, but considering I only paid $200 it's of little concern to me really, I got a great deal.

I went straight up to Mt Glorious to run them in, and while there was the initial greasiness, this faded after about a 30kms of spirited driving. Although I didn’t push hard enough to really get them heated up, they stick noticeably better then the old Azenis RS's I had on there and should only get better with more kms.

Noise wise they are much better than the RT215's and RS's and seem to be a more comfortable ride with less tramlining noticeable.

Wear will be something I’ll need to keep an eye on, however considering the advancement in recent years and that I don't feel these are designed to offer substantially more grip then the outgoing Azenis, I'd expect better life out of them, hopefully 15-20,000kms with a few track days in there.

Advertisement

As you can see in the pics below, they've changed the pattern totally from the RT215, with less focus on block size and more on water pumping ability which is a good thing for a weekend driving road tyre sometimes used on the track.

To my knowledge supply is very limited, with only 20 tyres of this size coming to Brisbane. If you are looking at purchasing, do some shopping as it looks like prices may vary substantially. On that, I highly recommend Quickfit at Bowen Hills, however don't take that price as gospel as I actually ordered these without anyone on Australia even knowing the price for them :roll: so I got an exceptional deal.

The 215 was compared against the 615 in the latest issue of Grassroots Motorsport.
    The Falken Azenis 615 is the long awaited replacement for the Azenis 215. The marketing buzz indicated that Falken engineers were working on a tyre that was as grippy as its older brother, while offering better wet weather traction and less heat sensitivity. We were eager to try a set as soon as they were announced.

On track, the 615 did not disappoint. It earned the quickest times for both drivers both in mean and fastest clean runs. On our test course, the three-tenths spread between the 615 and the 215 was made up on the last little bit of the skidpad sweeper exiting onto the straight. The 615s grip allowed the drivers to nail the throttle much sooner...yielding faster times thru the next section.

The tyre exhibited excellent grip and that same linear response, inspiring confidence like the 215. The 615 had the least amount of wheelspin and understeer in tight corners.

The new Falken had about half the pressure and temperature gain exhibited y the older version. This did yield about one more run before the tyre needed to be cooled in order to maintain performance. We had hoped that the new compounds and design would eliminate the need for cooling completely, but that is not the case. We started cooling the tyre after the second run, not the first run like we are used to doing on the 215.

B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

[QUOTE=Brad]d $200-220. Went I was told they'll supply them fitted for $195 +$5 for getting the tyre weight matched to the rim weight, I was very happy.

Tyre weight matched to rim weight????
    what does this process involve?????
    Jo

The rim is lightest at the valve hole, and the tyre is heaviest at the point where the layers overlay, noted by a yellw spot you can see on the second pic. When they mount the tyres they make sure that these match up. I also got them to reduce the tollerance of the balancing machine.

thanks.2 birds one stone.I always wondered what the yellow spot was for.
    Jo

Brad, is this the same place you got yours from?ADDRESS68 Abbostsford RD Bowen Hills QLD 4006 AustraliaWORK PHONE(07) 3252-2892FAX(07) 3252-9229
    just out of interest, do you happen to know if they had any for the 180? will call them in the morning anyhow. thanks

That's them. They ordered them in from Falken for me as they don't hold any stock of these at the shop.

Speak to Jason and say I was very happy and referred you.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    ....the tyre is heaviest at the point where the layers overlay, noted by a yellw spot you can see on the second pic... ..
    Hmm. Good info. Brad - I didn't know that - even the H rated Simex's on my R12 have a red spot on them. I wondered what it was, and just assumed it was something done in the manufacturing process.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

The rim is lightest at the valve hole, and the tyre is heaviest at the point where the layers overlay, noted by a yellw spot you can see on the second pic. When they mount the tyres they make sure that these match up. I also got them to reduce the tollerance of the balancing machine.
    Aye? Shouldn't tyre places be doing this anyway? That's what I use to do as a young apprentice in my motorcycle mechanic days.

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Administrator

Ummm, I hate to be picky but The rim is actually HEAVIEST at the valve hole when assembled (the rubber and steel valve assy weighs far more than the missing alloy)....

The yellow spot indicates the LIGHTEST part of the tyre and should be lined up with the valve stem (the heaviest part of the rim when assembled) for the minimum inbalance...

The red spot indicates the high point of the tyre and if you have the capability of measuring the rim run-out you can match the Red dot with the low point of the rim.

FWIW, the above information is directly from www.falkentires.com

Here is the link -

http://www.falkentire.com/tech_warra...Uniformity.cfm

Ah, so I was right and wrong at the same time In this case 2 wrongs do make a right

Thanks for the info.

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by pips
    Aye? Shouldn't tyre places be doing this anyway? That's what I use to do as a young apprentice in my motorcycle mechanic days.

pips
    Agree, sounds like a nice load of BS to me.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

how doe they compare to the p7000's?? i'm up for a new set of tyres and wouldn't mind something with a little more grip.
    206 GTI180 '05

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    Agree, sounds like a nice load of BS to me.

Cal.
    They don't do this by default. Check your tyres tonight, bet they are not lined up right. Even your good mate at Bob Jane doesn't do it for you

WRT the P7000's, I would say these are in a different market, aimed more at the P Zero Nero/Corsa. Falken's ST115 would be comparable to the P7000's. As such, you'll find the wear on the RT615 higher then the P7000.

Thread Information