sporty, skinny tyres
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default sporty, skinny tyres

i know that title doesn't really make that much sense, but when you want some soft sticky tyres for an r12, you are limited as to what tyres will fit.
    currently i have some standard 175/65-14 road tyres squeezed under the rear and am about to replace the 195/60-14 road tyres with some R-spec tyres, so i need a suitable partner for the rear, but in a 14 the narrowest i can get is 185.
    any suggestions?
    i know there are a few guys around here that race 12's and wondered what they run?
    BTW i am not using these as road tyres. well i am, but the car has only been taken out 3-4 times in the past couple of months to blow the cob webs out.
    any help?

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 3006882
    i know that title doesn't really make that much sense, but when you want some soft sticky tyres for an r12, you are limited as to what tyres will fit.
    currently i have some standard 175/65-14 road tyres squeezed under the rear and am about to replace the 195/60-14 road tyres with some R-spec tyres, so i need a suitable partner for the rear, but in a 14 the narrowest i can get is 185.
    any suggestions?
    i know there are a few guys around here that race 12's and wondered what they run?
    BTW i am not using these as road tyres. well i am, but the car has only been taken out 3-4 times in the past couple of months to blow the cob webs out.
    any help?
    The Renault 12 based "Newstar" one make racing series in the 1970s used soft compound, Formula France Michelin XAs in 165 by 13.
    These were made for a single seater racing series held in France at around the same time.
    I believe these tyres are still available as part of the Michelin Classic range and would be ideal but a little expensive.
    Graham

What's the rim width? I'm running 195/60/R14 on my 6" rims with no problem.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!

im running the standard dunlop alloys, i think that they were on the 17G. the fronts are not an issue, but the 175s on the rear just scrub on the lip of the guard, but hopefully that will be fixed with the new bushes and wagon springs.
    so i am just after a sticky 175 really, unless you have a way to fit 195/60's on the rear that i dont know about yet?

Thread Information