New Pugger
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: New Pugger

Tadpole

Default New Pugger

Heya guys,

Just coming up to a year since I bought my '89 205 gti, I really dont know much about the car as my father bought it as a b'day present for me last year.

Advertisement

I absolutely love driving this car and it has been out to the track a few times and handled it fine, no dramas or mechanical problems!!

However the idle has always been at 1500, my mechanic must have tinkered with it and now it has a tendancy to stall if i dont give it a rev for a few minutes before i go.

Can anyone shed light on this for me... also, i was wondering the cheapest and best way to boost power while keeping the engine as original as possible??

Thanks very much guys,

Ollie

Hey ollie,

your dad's got taste. a free 205 GTi is a good deal.
    i don't know much about the idle regulator in the 205's but it shoud be around the throttle body where the accelerator cable connects to it.
    in relation to making it perform better a few thing to start with before you have to fiddle with internals.
    1. Air intake. a cold air intake will draw air directly from the outside which is colder than inside your engine bay. the reason why this is better is that cold air is denser that hot air. denser air = more compression. a panel filter is ok but see if you can replace the OE part with a K&N or Green Cotton cone filter.

2. Exhaust. do not just go down to your local muffler shop and say you want a sports exhaust. chances are you will get a crap one. if you want it to breath better get a custom job with mandrel bent pipes and straight through mufflers. also replace the catalytic converter as i'm sure it won't work as well as it should. as the 1.9ltr engine produces about 90Kw your exhaust wont need to be very big. 2" at max. i have a 406 V6 knocking out about 155Kw and my exhaust is 2.5" so 2" will be big enough. please don't put a canon type muffler on the end just out of respect to other peugeot drivers.
    if you're in sydney find a place caller hi-tech mufflers. if not there are custom exhaust manufacturers in your capital city. if worst come to worst press bent pipes will work and a lukey muffler should suffice, it will be cheaper too.
    a custom shop can make some headers for you too.

if you want you car to be fast it will cost you. it just depends on how much you want to spend.

Tim

I would've thought intake and exhaust mods on a stock 205 wouldn't do much except generate a lot of noise (which makes your car faster ), try searching 205 mods, 8v performance upgrades have been discussed many times before so that should give you an idea to what can be done..

Ill second that as said above.

Dont get a different exhaust as the standard item is fine. Also you car is only putting 75kw as its an early model. Cold air induction will dont nothing but make noise as again peugeot had done there homework on the induction system and it works fine. If you do however want to 'boost' the power, the best option is to up the compression, cam regrind and 3 angle valve grind on the head. This will make a nice car to drive and will give you more power and works fine with the standard ECU. Otherwise something else for the track (or road use i guess) is a Limited slip diff and some decent tyers

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Hey welcome fella Oliver or Olivia,

do some looking for suspension and tyre improvements, will increase your fun potential markedly, many posts about this in search.

ed ge

yeah what they said. Peugeot factory exhaust, intake, and head are all pretty good. You would need to start spending some big bucks on cams, port and polish, big valves, throttle bodies or carbs before you start seeing massive power gains. Have a read of

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pug2058v.htm

for some good tips. If you only want to spend small to medium bucks why don't you concentrate on getting your current set up running sweet? Oil change and new filter, new air filter, new plugs leads and distributer cap, new fuel filter and injectors ultrasonically cleaned, throttle body clean out and coolant flush would all help with this.

Icon7

Well doen't that make me look like a total ignoramus. i told you i din't know anything about 205's .

i appologise for any confusion i have caused.

Tim

I agree with most comments above.
    peugeot got the air intake and exhaust right from the start.
    the car comes with a 2 and 1/2 inch exhaust as standard.
    the best mod ive done to my car is the koni suspension and the sparco ADJUSTABLE strut brace.
    this takes alot of slack from worn out shockers/rubbers/mounts from an 16 year old car.
    it makes a big difference to take off and stopping.
    more than you would credit.
    it also makes the car ALOT more drivable at high speeds.
    of course open air filters make a nice noise but not more power.
    you could always get a big milo tin exhaust like the one al has on his mi 16 ha ha ha ha .
    lots of noise to turn heads down chapel street.
    -BAZZ

Default welcome

hi ollie,good choice but old choice,,dosent metter l can help you about this car l have parts and good ideas for this car.l had 205 gti 92 mod ser 3 60 mm lowered,special springs,full custome made egzosth, NOS,(important)mdoified and parts very expencive..for 88 mod pug bcoz, bit old anyway if u need some help about parts and service message me...

Oh my god, is english your first language?!

Oh, and isn't NOS (which is actually a brand name... it's called NO2, or nitrous-oxide) illegal for road use, and also not allowed at many track events without a lot of paperwork?

The only real world mods you need are some half-decent tyres (to make the 205's sting predictable, at least), and experience at high-speed driving. With the right driver a 75kW 205 can lay waste to gti 180's on a hillclimb.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Thread Information