fuel hoses
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: fuel hoses

al

Default fuel hoses

After seeing some fairly unpleasant pics on the 205 forum i am a bit concerned about the state of one of my hoses.

I spoke to Regans this morning and they said that the hose i need (between the firewall and regulator) is $100, with a four week wait as it has to come from france...

What should i do? I want to replace it because i damaged the end of it when i prised it off.

Is it acceptable to cut a couple of cms of the end, (getting rid of the damaged bit) or does the entire thing need to be replaced? If i need to replace it where should i look for one?

Advertisement

Thanks
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Geezes H W al, $100 for a piece of fuel line!!

They stretch and get stress cracks where they connect onto the regulator that's all.
    If you cut it there, chances are the exposed part will all be starting to deteriorate, so you cut a piece off and take it to the local Repco joint. I think it's 6mm from memory, and tell them you need either hp petrol line or line for a fuel injected car.
    Before you go chopping the entire enchilada off, measure how far from the regulator to back into the plastic covering tube it comes out from, then buy that amount, a connector usually brass and three hose clips. (2 for the connector and a new one on the regulator) Cut, fit connector, secure with 2 clamps and then trim off length to fit to regulator.
    We've done that on both of ours and one has done many miles since including sprints and hillclimbs with no drama. Should get plenty of change from 20 bux.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

al

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Geezes H W al, $100 for a piece of fuel line!!

They stretch and get stress cracks where they connect onto the regulator that's all.
    If you cut it there, chances are the exposed part will all be starting to deteriorate, so you cut a piece off and take it to the local Repco joint. I think it's 6mm from memory, and tell them you need either hp petrol line or line for a fuel injected car.
    Before you go chopping the entire enchilada off, measure how far from the regulator to back into the plastic covering tube it comes out from, then buy that amount, a connector usually brass and three hose clips. (2 for the connector and a new one on the regulator) Cut, fit connector, secure with 2 clamps and then trim off length to fit to regulator.
    We've done that on both of ours and one has done many miles since including sprints and hillclimbs with no drama. Should get plenty of change from 20 bux.

Alan S
    Thanks Alan. Excuse me if i missed the point, but are you saying that i should reatain some of the original hose, but fit a connector at some point? What is the plastic covering tube you speak of?

This morning i did cut about 15mm off the end and reattached it, and all looks well... but i don't want to take any chances so your system sounds good. (and cheap + quick)
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

fuel line is fuel line and autobarn also sell the same thing at probably the same price as repco and closer to you al.
    always get it longer if in doubt and as alan said you'll get change from $20.
    euro auto imports can usually get this sort of thing but i cant find it in the list they gave me[i have a list of every product they sell for the 205].
    they are usually expensive if they are a moulded hose.
    i recently changed the return hose from the expansion bottle to the radiator.reagans quoted $99 for this hose.
    i went to autobarn and got the hose and two new clamps for $16
    the oe hose usually comes out of the bottle turns and goes down the side of the engine between the battery and afm and then turn 90 deg and follows the front of the radiator and then has a 180 deg dogs leg that clips on the radiator.
    i ran it straight from the bottle along the firewall and then down with the fuel line straight to the radiator with only one turn .
    this is the problem with fiting non oe hoses,they cant bend too much or they kink.
    but i got away with it this time.
    why peugeot didnt run it this way really gets me but i suppose the computer dosent think like that.-BAZZ

On another hose again - the one going from the coolant bottle, across the firewall and down to the water pump (at least on RHD '92 model 205GTIs).
    This has a sharp 90 degree bend at each end.
    For about $6 each I bought two CH1672 Falcon XF 1984-87 hoses. I also bought a brass barbed union for a few dollars but made one on the lathe out of aluminium anyway (I'm obsessed with weight).

If the hose you want has a pre-molded shape just take a sample to the shop and ask for something like it. In my experience, it is usually too much trouble for them (fair enough) so they invite you behind the counter to go through the shelves/boxes yourself. Just take your time and make sure you get both ends the right diameter and the right length (or longer, but check whether the diameter is the same along it). Beware of hoses 1 or 2mm different in the larger water sizes - good to bring what it has to plug onto.

For EFI fuel, make sure it is rated for EFI pressures (and fuel!)

Rick

Just had a look under my bonnet ('92 205 GTI). There is no plastic covering tube. There is a rubber hose from the metal line against the firewall to the bottom of the fuel filter (which I had already wrapped in aluminium tape to protect from exhaust manifold radiant heat). The hose from the top of the fuel filter to the fuel rail (with a 90 deg bend at the end - might not be a molded hose on mine though). The hose from the pressure regulator (with molded 180 degree bend) heading back towards the tank.

Al,Fuel line is not fuel line. The crap I bought from witworth started disolving on my hands as i was installing it.Took days to get that stuff off my hands. Luckily I didn't run it through the injectors.
    I now go to enzed for all my hose requirements, as they have staff who know their products,and when i've struck problems ,have been very helpful.not like the witworth guy who wanted all the little pieces back before he'd refund my money, and kept denying it was disolving as it disolved in front of our eyes.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Thanks Alan. Excuse me if i missed the point, but are you saying that i should reatain some of the original hose, but fit a connector at some point? What is the plastic covering tube you speak of?

This morning i did cut about 15mm off the end and reattached it, and all looks well... but i don't want to take any chances so your system sounds good. (and cheap + quick)
    Remember I speak in BXtalk which are usually very similar and they have a piece of what could loosely called conduit covering the fuel line and a few wires and tubes. The line inside that "conduit" is not exposed to oil/ehaust fumes, heat or the contaminents of the atmosphere and we've found it's usually like new with no stress fractures nor signs of perishing and is usually as pliable as new hose, so we cut inside but close enough to the end of the conduit so we can expose the line to cut and fit the connector.
    We have had no issues and remember that a 16V driven in anger gets terribly hot under the lid; much more so than your 205 ever should, so it should be as safe as a bank.

Alan S

al

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Remember I speak in BXtalk which are usually very similar and they have a piece of what could loosely called conduit covering the fuel line and a few wires and tubes. The line inside that "conduit" is not exposed to oil/ehaust fumes, heat or the contaminents of the atmosphere and we've found it's usually like new with no stress fractures nor signs of perishing and is usually as pliable as new hose, so we cut inside but close enough to the end of the conduit so we can expose the line to cut and fit the connector.
    We have had no issues and remember that a 16V driven in anger gets terribly hot under the lid; much more so than your 205 ever should, so it should be as safe as a bank.

Alan S
    All good... The cover sounds like a good idea anyway - the more protection the fuel hoses can get the better.

I'm half thinking about getting the exhaust manifold wrapped in that stuff that minimises the heat transfered to the bay. (The Mi16 is shocking for that as well) On hot days you can smell all sorts of things under the bonnet when in traffic...
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

1000+ Posts

Guys, I don't know if Clark Rubber is a national franchise, but they have a really top quality range of brand name hoses-on-the-reel of all kinds in one of those serve yourself dispenser type arrangements. I bought fuel injection hose (marked as such) from there which has been on the Mi16 a year without any deterioration whatsoever. I know this isn't that long a time for fuel hose, but I've put fuel hose on the R12 which had cracks appear in a few months - and you can imagine the difference in the heat they both endure...

Recommended.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Default I agree Stuey - Clark Rubber marked fuel hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Guys, I don't know if Clark Rubber is a national franchise, but they have a really top quality range of brand name hoses-on-the-reel of all kinds in one of those serve yourself dispenser type arrangements. I bought fuel injection hose (marked as such) from there which has been on the Mi16 a year without any deterioration whatsoever. I know this isn't that long a time for fuel hose, but I've put fuel hose on the R12 which had cracks appear in a few months - and you can imagine the difference in the heat they both endure...

Recommended.

Stuey
    Al Its worth dropping in to Clark Rubber, just over in Bell Street Preston not far from Harvey Normans - make sure to get the reinforced hose branded as fuel line - sometimes I have also bought reinforced fuel hose with moulded right angle bends at the Thomastown Trash and treasure market from one of the regular auto traders and usually well priced.

As Jo Proffi said there is some crap rubber hose about, its usually not reinforced and while it looks similar in size its usually not branded as fuel hose and will react with petrol.

For water transfer pipes, I found the Clark rubber stuff really good and found a place in Thomastown that sells stainless steel bends when I replaced the long moulded transfer rubber tubing on my sons Fuego - worked well so far.

Clarks also sell good quality jubillee worm drive clips that have the edges slightly curled so they don't bite into the tubing like the el cheapo stainless rubbish sold in the bubble packs at Supacheap etc. (cheap worm drive unit usually stuffs up when you try to tighten them!!)

Best part is that its not far from where you live Al

Quote Originally Posted by al
    All good... The cover sounds like a good idea anyway - the more protection the fuel hoses can get the better.

I'm half thinking about getting the exhaust manifold wrapped in that stuff that minimises the heat transfered to the bay. (The Mi16 is shocking for that as well) On hot days you can smell all sorts of things under the bonnet when in traffic...
    I've read that wraps can introduce some major heat distortion in the manifold, and in some cases reduce power output.
    Jo

Yep, I agree. I'd be inclined to let the heatshields do what they're there for (assuming they're still there; if not, fit them) and use the heat resistent conduit around the lines and wires where they come through between the firewall and engine area.

Alan S

Thread Information