repairing air intake hoses
  • Register
  • Help

Default repairing air intake hoses

I have a '90 405 SRI with a Bosch Motronic injection system (not the far more common Jetronic). The air intake hose that runs between the air filter box and the throttle body has a a tear in the rubber that runs around one third of the distance around the circumference of the hose half way between the air box and the throttle body. I am having a problem getting hold of an intact replacement. Has anyone ever had any success with repairing this type of rubbery plastic corrugated hose.?
    My attempts so far with wide "gaffer tape" - black cloth reinforced tape 50 mm wide, have resulted in the tape being pulled into the gap with the vaccuum (probably combined with the general engine heat), and now the end of the hose doesn't line up with the intake of the throttle body.
    I may have to get a complete jetronic system and replace ecu, throttle body, distributor (my distributor has no vaccuum advance) etc, but wondered if there is repair that would do the job at least while I drive around hunting down a a replacement. (I imagine people have been doing patch-ups on this type of rubbery plastic material for years.)
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
    Icon7
    Cheers
    Cabbage Tree

Advertisement
    BTW its a 1939 Panhard Autobus, and if you look very carefully there's a Citroen Traction (approx 1 pixel x 1pixel), approaching from behind the guy who's about to get on the bus.

I'd be surprised if they are still available new? I recently bought a new 309 GTi16V hose, which is a much rarer part.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    I'd be surprised if they are still available new? I recently bought a new 309 GTi16V hose, which is a much rarer part.
    Strange as it may seem, -I never thought of that.- for some reason I assumed they would not be available (I guess its because I've owned quite a few cars that are much more ancient than this one) - I'll check that out next week! Cheers.
    BTW its a 1939 Panhard Autobus, and if you look very carefully there's a Citroen Traction (approx 1 pixel x 1pixel), approaching from behind the guy who's about to get on the bus.

Default Repairing Hoses

Quote Originally Posted by cabbage tree
    I have a '90 405 SRI with a Bosch Motronic injection system (not the far more common Jetronic). The air intake hose that runs between the air filter box and the throttle body has a a tear in the rubber that runs around one third of the distance around the circumference of the hose half way between the air box and the throttle body. I am having a problem getting hold of an intact replacement. Has anyone ever had any success with repairing this type of rubbery plastic corrugated hose.?
    My attempts so far with wide "gaffer tape" - black cloth reinforced tape 50 mm wide, have resulted in the tape being pulled into the gap with the vaccuum (probably combined with the general engine heat), and now the end of the hose doesn't line up with the intake of the throttle body.
    I may have to get a complete jetronic system and replace ecu, throttle body, distributor (my distributor has no vaccuum advance) etc, but wondered if there is repair that would do the job at least while I drive around hunting down a a replacement. (I imagine people have been doing patch-ups on this type of rubbery plastic material for years.)
    Icon7
    Cheers
    Cabbage Tree

I have never repaired air intake hoses, but I have repaired wet suits lots of times.

The wetsuit glue sticks like sh!t to a blanket. The wetsuit in most cases is held together by a "thickness" bond of the glue.

Assuming that the neoprene of the hose is compatible with the glue it should do the trick.

Go to your friendly scuba dive shop and buy a small tin. Tip: I always cleaned the rubber to be joined with the thinners or shellite first. The glue is a contact adhesive and needs to used as per the instructions.

Make sure you get an actual wetsuit glue and not a substitute.

You could try getting some wet suit material (ask for 9mm) and make a sleeve to go around the outside of the tear after the intial tear has been edge glued. A couple of cable ties should hold it in place while the glue sets.

You can't cut the tear out and put in a piece of rigid pipe with a couple of hose clips instead can you ?

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by cabbage tree
    Icon7
    Cheers
    Cabbage Tree

I use a product called Shoo Goo II its made by "Second Wind" for repairing worn out sneakers (or sandshoes to Aussies) .

As you may have guessed it comes from USA and is ultra sticky and reasonable to work with (but use disposable gloves). We get it at camping/outdoor shops for about $10 a tube.

I have used it on all sorts of shoe repairs, naturally. And my favorite repair is on the thumb of my favorite old ski gloves (patched the worn leather real good - & flexible with no leaks).

But I have also used it on tears in steering rack boots and rubber things like that. It doesn't seem to need both sides being exactly together as its quite thick. It takes overnight to set and seems to stick well to most rubber/plastic/ leather things - ooh & skin too so be careful!!
    So many projects - so little time.

Thanks guys,
    I'm feeling very confident now I'll be able to get the problem sorted with a new part or a damn good repair! Thanks very much for that. I'll report back.
    Cheers

I'm not familiar with the hoses on a motronic 405, but is the diameter of the hose the same at both ends? If so, couldn't you go hit supercheap auto, buy a length of flex hose (looks like a giant corrugated straw), cut it to size, and clamp it on with the ring-thingies?
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Default problem solved

Hi Froggers,
    thought I'd let you know how this one ended. Chased around everywhere trying to get the Motronic air intake pipe - found plenty for the Jetronic - none for the Motronic.(Well I did find one, but it was more of a "cot case" than the one I have.)
    I was about to head out the door for the local dive shop and try some of that wetsuit rubber and glue treatment, while I contemplated forking out for a new one, when I remembered one more European car wrecker. Drove out there (about 30ks down the motorway) and bingo! - got one in pretty good condition, and at about a fifth the price of a new one imported from France ($235 + Gst).

This new second hand one should do quite a few miles before it too gives up the ghost - it is so much more flexible than my old one which had become almost brittle - not surprising with all that heat, oily vapour, vibration and torque movement from the motor -its amazing the thing has lasted 15 years.
    Cheers
    Julian

Thread Information