505 steering rack mods
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 steering rack mods

Does anyone have an exploded view of the 505 SR manual steering rack including all its internal parts? Reason I need one is that the engineer inspecting my 505/SR20 swap found the big isolating rubber on the lower steering shaft is too close (about 5mm) to the new engine and even swapping to a powered rack will only give me another 10 mm and the minimum clearance required is 25mm. Id like to see if I can remove the short shaft comming out of the rack and modify it (perhaps have it splined) so it will accept a smaller universal joint like the one on the upper shaft.

Advertisement

Default Smaller Steering Uni

Quote Originally Posted by Nisspug
    Does anyone have an exploded view of the 505 SR manual steering rack including all its internal parts? Reason I need one is that the engineer inspecting my 505/SR20 swap found the big isolating rubber on the lower steering shaft is too close (about 5mm) to the new engine and even swapping to a powered rack will only give me another 10 mm and the minimum clearance required is 25mm. Id like to see if I can remove the short shaft comming out of the rack and modify it (perhaps have it splined) so it will accept a smaller universal joint like the one on the upper shaft.

The "classic" do-it-your-self car builders steering/ rack/ column was Triumph Herald. (a years ago...)

They did have a very small diameter steering uni.

If it i any help I believe the Triumph Dolomite also has the same steering uni.

The are splined both ends and are retained by a cotter bolt arrangement from memory.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Robmac. I imagine they would be fairly hard to find these days but I will keep it in mind in case all else fails. I imagine there would be a few Jap models around with pretty compact uni joints. The uni on the upper section of the steering shaft of the 505 is still a bit too broad to use at 41mm - about 36mm diameter would be idea. I still need the exploded view so I can see whats on the other end of the 505 racks small "input shaft" and how its connected.

Default small unis

Quote Originally Posted by Nisspug
    Thanks Robmac. I imagine they would be fairly hard to find these days but I will keep it in mind in case all else fails. I imagine there would be a few Jap models around with pretty compact uni joints. The uni on the upper section of the steering shaft of the 505 is still a bit too broad to use at 41mm - about 36mm diameter would be idea. I still need the exploded view so I can see whats on the other end of the 505 racks small "input shaft" and how its connected.

If you choose a uni off a jap car, I wonder if your auto engineer will accept it.

May be worth trying to find one off a car of similar weight, at least this way you can point the similar weight out to him.

How pedantic are these guys anyway, I know the clearance stuff is a real hoby horse issue for motor reg guys.

Fellow Frogger!

This guy is pretty knowledgeble. He said the reason for the big clearance on the steering shaft is in case the rubber engine mount fails and the engine falls over onto the steering shaft and you lose steering. Dont know how often the engine mounts fail but maybe he noticed my "average" welding on the steel mounts. Theyre very strong but maybe dont look too crash hot.

Fellow Frogger!

I could not find a smaller uni than the Pugs 41mm diameter one in all of pick-a-part land so it looks like I may have to go the Triumph route after all. Everyone else seems to have settled on 41mm! But I did find a 27mm front swaybar with uerothane bushes for $21 so it wasnt a total loss!

range rovers have a pair of splined pinch bolt type uni's in their steering shaft, fairly small from memory.
    Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Pete, will check it out. p.s. I dont need the exploded view anymore as I was able to get the stubby shaft out of the rack OK.
    Last edited by Nisspug; 8th November 2005 at 09:17 PM.

Thread Information