Gajah Tunggal Tyres: Would you dare?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Gajah Tunggal Tyres: Would you dare?

Can't resist the huge "SALE" sign at Tyrepower. Dropped in and asked for specials on the 195/55/15 for my Xsara (Although 6 months back I've just bought a new set of Dunlops: RRP $185 per corner). They have a run out sale on the GT high performance series. A MERE $89, fitted and balanced! I'm a man of reason but I was tempted. Will put aside my Dunlops for a year and wait till my Indonesian tyres wear out.

Advertisement

I've driven them for 800ks now, no dramas. Acceptable grip and quiet too. Would you dare?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gajah Tunggal Tyres: Would you dare?-champirohighperformance.jpeg  

I was on the way home from Phillip Is GP to Perth a few years back on my Guzzi Le Mans. Got to Adelaide, needed a new rear (tyre!!) They had Metzlers, my preferred, for aroun $200, or Chen Singhs for $80. As I figured I was only going to wear out the centres anyway I bought the Chengys. Tell you what, they weren't a bad tyre. Wore well, I got 10k out of them (good on a bike) grip was good, but the thing that really impressed me was you could get them to slide around corners, but it was a nice progressive slide, unlike some exxy Euro tyres, which hold on & on and then suddenly dump you on the deck. Don't know what this has got to do with cars, except, just because it's got a funny name, and don't cost much don't mean it's no good. Lets face it, as long as you're not a 10 10ths boy they'll probably be alright, and anyway at $85 you've not lost much. Whatch them in the wet but.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Some years ago I fitted Sime Astar tyres to my 405 as I was low on dollars at the time. I had never bought cheap tyres before. I was very happy with them, good wear, and grip. When I sold the car and I put the 14" back on again to sell it, I put on Khumos but they were crap. Needed a lot of weight to balance and grip was much worse wet or dry than my hard, worn out Simes.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

1000+ Posts

Mike, Cheng Shin have been making motorbike tyres since (at least) the 70's. I think they're a reasonably respected budget brand.

Juan, a lot of Dunlops are now made in Indonesia (or is it Malaysia - somewhere in SE Asia).

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I understand Ohtsu tyres didn't sell until they became Falkens and laugh as you might, the best by far tyres I ever had on a CX were Bob Janes Australian Outta Rounders @ $79 each on special.
    Recently saw a set of Savas fitted to Uni student sons Lancer and he was mightily surprised at how well the look and perform @ $59 a pop.
    A Yugoslavian based Company, tyres however made in New Zealand and rated 82H. Guy at the tyre place reckons they sell heaps and rarely get a complaint, but horses for courses I suppose as regards the type of driving you do.
    Based on that I suppose you "Shouldn't judge a book by it's title"?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I understand Ohtsu tyres didn't sell until they became Falkens and laugh as you might, the best by far tyres I ever had on a CX were Bob Janes Australian Outta Rounders @ $79 each on special.
    Recently saw a set of Savas fitted to Uni student sons Lancer and he was mightily surprised at how well the look and perform @ $59 a pop.
    A Yugoslavian based Company, tyres however made in New Zealand and rated 82H. Guy at the tyre place reckons they sell heaps and rarely get a complaint, but horses for courses I suppose as regards the type of driving you do.

Alan S
    I used to run Ohtsus back in the '70s and they were a good Japanese tyre as I recall. I had a friend who worked at M.S.McLeod so I could get a good price on various brands. I'm also reasonably sure I've seen Savas coming off the line at SPT Somerton. They do Bob Jane's out there too.

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S

Alan S
    Sava tyres are a great deal, some of the higher spec types are imported but others are locally made. Apparently they are part of goodrich/goodyear? and the moulds are the superceeded models.
    Currently running Sava Rapidex R2 on the r25 (its second set of tyres ever), they are no problems and seem to have good wet grip, unusual for a cheap tyre.

Farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Juan, a lot of Dunlops are now made in Indonesia (or is it Malaysia - somewhere in SE Asia).

Stuey
    I did a bit of shopping before buying my Dunlops and was told that most sold here in Geelong Vic are made in NZ. I won't be surprised that Dunlops in WA and NT are coming from Indonesia or Malaysia. Logistics-wise, it's very likely.

Don't be surprised too that your petrol maybe coming from Singapore and not the refineries in NSW and VIC. Distribution costs make it more logical. I'm not saying that imported products are inferior but big Multinationals have a way doing business to maximise profit.

Aren't Chen Sings renamed as Maxxis or is it another Chinese tyre that didnt do well until it was renamed "maxxis" and suddenly everyone's raving about them
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

Ren25 your experience with bike tyres is typical.

The cheapies let you know straight away their limits, whereas the good tyres are crash hot till you get to their letgo point

Reminds me of the Renault 10 when they were popular. roadholding was very good but if you pushed it, the swing arm rear suspension would said 'enough' and send you into the shrubbery

Wet weather seems to really sort out the good and the bad tyres. As one motoring journalist said of a cheap tyre " it took two suburbs to stop in the wet"

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Thread Information