505 fuel pump
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 fuel pump

Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 fuel pump

Hi,

Advertisement

My 504 killed 2 lift pumps in as meany days (Ti injected). possibly due to the ethanol mix fuel its got in it. Engine runs perfectly on it, but it seems the old pumps hate the stuff. Anyway i havn't proved that it is the cause, but its likally.

So now we are going to adapt a 505 GTi pump to do the liften, but i need to know the pressure a 505 GTi pump produces. I can't find the value anywhere so far. The pump has an inlet on one side and an outlet on the other. We have to get the pressure to the injection pump right, so it delivers the right amount of fuel. The pump it a Boche (<-- in think i spelt that wrong, arr well)

any one know?

p.s The regular lift pump runs about 1.2bar or 16-18psi aparently
    Lets just say we have a few pugs about!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

not sure on the pressure but i did run a volvo 264 one once as an emergency and it blew lines off as it created too much presssure and i think you will find the 505 one to do the same thing

you would be better off in my opinion to find something like a holley pump to do the work and maybe a pressure regulator to obtain the correct pressure you need
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Hipcrostino
    Hi,

My 504 killed 2 lift pumps in as meany days (Ti injected). possibly due to the ethanol mix fuel its got in it. Engine runs perfectly on it, but it seems the old pumps hate the stuff. Anyway i havn't proved that it is the cause, but its likally.

So now we are going to adapt a 505 GTi pump to do the liften, but i need to know the pressure a 505 GTi pump produces. I can't find the value anywhere so far. The pump has an inlet on one side and an outlet on the other. We have to get the pressure to the injection pump right, so it delivers the right amount of fuel. The pump it a Boche (<-- in think i spelt that wrong, arr well)

any one know?

p.s The regular lift pump runs about 1.2bar or 16-18psi aparently

Thanks for the post, I was about to add some ethanol to the tank of my 504 coupe; I won't now, at least not until I get a clearer picture of what is going on.

Both of my Ti engines indicate a 2 bar (30 psi) incoming fuel pressure. The pump is indeed a Bosch and impossible to find new here in Greece.

I do not know if the 505 pump will physically fit, but I believe the k-jet 505 has two pumps, one in the tank and one in-line, and both are necessary. My guess is that the incoming fuel pressure for these pumps is higher than 3 bar (45 psi) and the upper limit specification for the Ti is 2.5 bar (38 psi).

So if you can physically fit the 505 pumps, an in-line fuel pressure regulator placed somewhere before the KF injection pump should do the job. An adjustable would probably offer the best flexibility, but anything in the 1.5 to 2 bar range will work well.

Please post your findings as I am sure many of us would be very interested.

Good luck

As an aside, I am really surprised that the fuel damaged your pumps in one day. Ethanol can swell some types of rubber, but it normally does not happen that fast. I would try connecting the damaged pumps to a battery and see if they will pump fuel, then reverse the polarity of the battery and fuel flow and see if any junk like rubber debris comes out. Or it could be that the pumps were on the brink and the ethanol gave them the final push.

Thanos
    Last edited by Thanos; 30th October 2005 at 05:43 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi again!

well, im not actually sure that it was the ethanol feul that did somthing to the pumps, but the pumps where fine before they touched it. The 505 pump will accually fit in the car, in the existing mounts (with a bit of trouble), but what happend in the end supprised me and my dad. we decided to get an expert opinion on the pumps, and as it turns out Porche use the exact same pump in some of thier older models (not sure which ones).

The Porche pump is exactly the same in every way, except the inlet from the tank in slightly larger. this means it will probably pump more fuel, but we will see. I have just installed it this afternoon, but as we have decided to use regular petty and not ethanol, just to be safe for now, i need to get some petrol. That means i can't test it out till this arvo.

Oh, and i believe if the ethanol is the problrem, its doing somthing to the valve leading out to the engine. It did a quick test in one of my failed pumps and it seem to have trouble keeping a steady flow out there. My test rig was quite bad to say the least, so im still not sure. So ill update how its gose later.

cheers, paul

p.s to Thanos, both pumps where well used, so it could just be the case that they decided to die on me.
    Lets just say we have a few pugs about!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

early porsches had the kugelfisher system as well and so did the 2002Tii bmw's
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thread Information