Performace mods 406 V6
  • Register
  • Help

Default Performace mods 406 V6

Hi Ppl

I've had my Coupe for just over a year now, and after swearing that I wouldnt play with it like I did my Mi16, I just couldnt help myself

First thing I did was had it dynoed to see whats what. It made 116 atw, pretty respectable I thought, but it was running very lean, at around 13.5:1 air/fuel.

When I bought the car, it had a fancy pants K&N pod filter which was sucking hot air staight off the block so the next thing I did was relocate it so it was under the left hand headlight. Dynoed again... 124Kw, but even leaner almost 14:1.

Unichip time

The car now has 131kw atw and air fuel is is around the 12.5:1.

The most gain we saw with the unichip was after 3500-4000 rpm, where it really kicked in almost like the Mi16 does at 4000

Advertisement

I'll post the dyno charts up shortly, as soon as I can find my scanner

Now some 17' wheels and maybe a cam from peter for the s16

Ky

Found camera so took pic of dyno with all three runs

Ky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Performace mods 406 V6-pa270180.jpg  

G'day Kaiser,

Always thought these engines have unrealised potential.

Is yours the early D8 144kw or the later (D9) 155kw vvt engine?

Jeff
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Quote Originally Posted by pgti6
    G'day Kaiser,

Always thought these engines have unrealised potential.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff

Its the D8 144kw version.

heres a pic of how the pod filter used to be mounted - sucking hot air from the block. I gotta say I was surpised how much difference it made moving it to colder air

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...achmentid=1689

Ky

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser
    Hi Jeff

Its the D8 144kw version.

heres a pic of how the pod filter used to be mounted - sucking hot air from the block. I gotta say I was surpised how much difference it made moving it to colder air

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...achmentid=1689

Ky

Very impressive!

Cold air induction is vital to making power in almost any engine. (my (modified) Mi16 made another 20hp when it drew air from outside the engine compartment).

What's next? Maybe a programmable ecu?

Jeff
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Excellent work Ky!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Very nice power figures. Looks like the car now has the performance to match its sexy sexy looks.

I always thought they were more powerful than that??
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Wow, solid gains across the range. I'm impressed!

Who did the tune?

I've had my Coupe for just over a year now
    What colour and what yr is your Coupe? Manual or auto?
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by pgti6
    (my (modified) Mi16 made another 20hp when it drew air from outside the engine compartment).
    Jeff
    I've only just recently got the standard cold air pipe re-installed on my car. Haven't had it dyno'd, before or after, but I can feel a very large difference.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Thanks Guys

I'm really happy with the results, especially that kick in the pants it gets at 4000.

I didnt really look into a programmable ECU as I thought the costs would be too prohibative. I heard that the way to go these days though is to run two ECU, standard for normal driving, and a programed one that automatically kicks in as the foot goes down. Has anyone heard of that setup?

Peter at Autotech in Fyshick set the thing up, hes a top guy that knows what hes doing and wont [email protected] you. For anyone who wants to go out and get their frog Dynoed, hes the man.

Kermit - the car is a 99 manual, comos grey is the colour I think, dark grey at any rate

Ky

Kermit - the car is a 99 manual, comos grey is the colour I think, dark grey at any rate
    The dark Grey on later models is call Thallium Grey. Not sure if this is the same colour in '99 but it is in '01.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Hi Kaiser,

Nice figures, i'll have to remember, "don't go picking the guy in the grey coupe off at the lights"! if i ever happen to pull up next to you.

Just wondering about the guys out at Fyshwick. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for the chip? I've been thinking about it for my Mi16 and have heard quite good things about these "piggyback" chips.

Also, how much did it cost you just for the power figures? I'm curious to see what mine is putting out factory standard.

Cheers

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMi16
    Hi Kaiser,

Nice figures, i'll have to remember, "don't go picking the guy in the grey coupe off at the lights"! if i ever happen to pull up next to you.

Just wondering about the guys out at Fyshwick. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for the chip? I've been thinking about it for my Mi16 and have heard quite good things about these "piggyback" chips.

Also, how much did it cost you just for the power figures? I'm curious to see what mine is putting out factory standard.

Cheers

Alex
    Hi ALex

The chip cost $1295 fitted, and took about a day to do. Basically I think they only do much if there is a problem with the mixture like mine was, the unichip is mainly about adjusting fuel( I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong )

Something that removes the AFM on your car and replaces it with a MAP sensor would be ideal for the Mi 16. Peter T is the man to speak to with that, and also his mild grind cam. For I think $250 plus fitting and post etc your getting 15% more power straight off the bat without changing a thing.

Peter at auto tech charges around $65 for a dyno run from memory, the price I paid included the extra dynoes.

well worth it just for interest sake if anything, and the cam is definately worth it.

Ky

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    The dark Grey on later models is call Thallium Grey. Not sure if this is the same colour in '99 but it is in '01.

Mines definately cosmos grey, I think its a little darker than the Thallium.

heres one on drive at the moment, mines the same colour

http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/pe...pp=18&d=0&nv=1

Lots of manuals coming out of the woodwork, and even a sub 20k auto coupe there.

Ky

Mines definately cosmos grey, I think its a little darker than the Thallium.

heres one on drive at the moment, mines the same colour

http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/pe...pp=18&d=0&nv=1

Lots of manuals coming out of the woodwork, and even a sub 20k auto coupe there.
    Yep that definetly isn't Thallium, which is alot lighter. That car is mislabled as a D9, it is actually a D8 (you can tell by the centre console) and is over priced but maybe the owner is expecting to be bargined down below $30k. Ks are about right for the year.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Hi Kaiser,

Have you Modified the Exhaust? i've got a 98' D8 SV manual. i put a 2.5" mandrel bent highflow custom kit from Hi-tech Mufflers. did a good job and it sounds fantastic. If you do replace the factory job, remember to replace the Catalytic converter with a hi-flow jobby. Most cats will restrict the exhaust flow by 40% so a full 2.5" Mandrel bent exhaust may give you 10%+ power.
    i've also seen a D8 coupe with a supercharger bolted on. I called CAPA in SA and they recon you could bolt on a vortech roots type blower. Cost about $5000 for the blower and all parts you'd need and you'd just have to get someone to put it on. You will most likely get about 50Kw extra at the Fly wheels. that means about 150-160Kw ATW.

I think a re-map of the ECU or a chip of some kind is next on my pug. add to that a cold air intake. but first Koni's and DBA crossed drilled rotors.

what kind of performance have you gotten with your mods? quarter mile? 0-100Km/h

Tim
    Last edited by pokinacha; 4th November 2005 at 08:14 PM. Reason: wanted to address this to kaiser

Quote Originally Posted by pokinacha
    Hi Kaiser,

Have you Modified the Exhaust? i've got a 98' D8 SV manual. i put a 2.5" mandrel bent highflow custom kit from Hi-tech Mufflers. did a good job and it sounds fantastic. If you do replace the factory job, remember to replace the Catalytic converter with a hi-flow jobby. Most cats will restrict the exhaust flow by 40% so a full 2.5" Mandrel bent exhaust may give you 10%+ power.
    i've also seen a D8 coupe with a supercharger bolted on. I called CAPA in SA and they recon you could bolt on a vortech roots type blower. Cost about $5000 for the blower and all parts you'd need and you'd just have to get someone to put it on. You will most likely get about 50Kw extra at the Fly wheels. that means about 150-160Kw ATW.

I think a re-map of the ECU or a chip of some kind is next on my pug. add to that a cold air intake. but first Koni's and DBA crossed drilled rotors.

what kind of performance have you gotten with your mods? quarter mile? 0-100Km/h

Tim
    Hi Tim

No I havent done anything to the exhaust, and to be honest probaly wont. The main reason for chiping the car waas to fix the lean mix more than anything, didnt want to have valve troubles down the track. The extra power is just a handy side effect (This is what I tell my wife at least)

I think I'm going to do some suspension work to firm up the handling and maybe some wheels but I dont want to go overboard.

a Supercharger would be nice though....

Ky

Hi Tim

No I havent done anything to the exhaust, and to be honest probaly wont. The main reason for chiping the car waas to fix the lean mix more than anything, didnt want to have valve troubles down the track. The extra power is just a handy side effect (This is what I tell my wife at least)

I think I'm going to do some suspension work to firm up the handling and maybe some wheels but I dont want to go overboard.

a Supercharger would be nice though....

Ky

Ky,

Mine has Eibach Sports Pro kit lowering springs. cost about $700 direct from Eibach. They are double rate springs, lower the front bout 25mm and the back about 16mm. it sits up in the back a bit and you can tell that they're stiffer. Peugeot brought out a factory sports handling package on the D8 sedan. it included bigger wheels and tyres, Eibach lowering springs, Remus exhaust and a body kit. if you wanted to replace the shocks i'd go with Koni's. adjustable and good quality. looking about $600-$800 front and rear.
    with your wheels, if you go 17's your turn-in isn't going to be as much as smaller wheels.

how are your take off's? much wheel spin?

Tim

Thread Information