505 Rear Wheel noise
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon7 505 Rear Wheel noise

I know that this might be a difficult ask, however:

On our '84 505 Executive, a rhythmic knocking noise has developed when taking right hand corners.

The noise is from the drivers side rear wheel area, and can occur even with a right hand curve, rather than a complete corner. The noise is in keeping with the rotational speed of the wheel, and can increase with a higher cornering speed.

A check of the usual suspects such as the wheel bearing, loose wheel nuts etc has revealed nothing to this point. Possibilities may include a drive shaft, differential or maybe soft / broken suspension arm bushes etc.

Advertisement

Has anybody experienced this defect, and if so, what was the cause?

Cheers,
    Kim.

Icon7

Kim,

I had a similar problem with my 504, although it sounded more like a ticking noise. It turned out that the outer constant velocity joint on the right rear was worn. There is a section in the Haynes manual on repairing these although you might be better off getting a whole rear axle assy. from the wreckers.

This thread 504 ti rear spring removal has a good rundown on rear axle removal, easier than the one in the Haynes manual.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Hi Kim,
    I also had a similar problem with my 504, changed the wheel, inspected it carefully,found my problem was internal tread seperation .

Cheers Ranger.
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

Icon8

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    I know that this might be a difficult ask, however:

On our '84 505 Executive, a rhythmic knocking noise has developed when taking right hand corners.

The noise is from the drivers side rear wheel area, and can occur even with a right hand curve, rather than a complete corner. The noise is in keeping with the rotational speed of the wheel, and can increase with a higher cornering speed.

A check of the usual suspects such as the wheel bearing, loose wheel nuts etc has revealed nothing to this point. Possibilities may include a drive shaft, differential or maybe soft / broken suspension arm bushes etc.

Has anybody experienced this defect, and if so, what was the cause?

Cheers,
    Kim.
    Hi KIM - We has a similar noise and imagined all sorts driveshaft problems, but like Ranger described it was a dud tyre.

I haven't had a problem like this with crap tyres for over 35 years - I guess it just shows that manufacturers have reverted to selling crap again.

At least in the old days they had a small excuse but with modern technology they know they are sellin sh1t.
    So many projects - so little time.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Kim,

I had a similar problem with my 504, although it sounded more like a ticking noise. It turned out that the outer constant velocity joint on the right rear was worn. There is a section in the Haynes manual on repairing these although you might be better off getting a whole rear axle assy. from the wreckers.

This thread 504 ti rear spring removal has a good rundown on rear axle removal, easier than the one in the Haynes manual.

Matt.
    Hi Matt,

Many thanks for your information.

Were your symptoms the same in the sense of the noise appearing on corners, curves etc?

I have removed rear 505 discs before, and am aware of the procedure. The main step is to make sure the drive shaft to hub retaining nut is loosened whilst the hub is still attached to the suspension arm - there is a lot of torque applied to that nut!

I believe that rear drive shaft problems are not that common, yet with increasing mileages on these vehicles, I guess something has to give eventually.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Default 505 rear wheel noise.

Is the wheel touching the caliper on turning caused by flexing of the rim?
    If you are running after market rims this could be possible.

If any of the above it should be evident by contact marks on the rim or caliper.

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Hello all,

Many thanks for the replies / suggestions to date.

Re the possibility of it being a defective / deformed tyre, I think that is remote (based upon the nature of the noise). However, will definitely check this out.

Re the rims / calipers, the rims are standard (well, 15" imperial Peugeot alloys in lieu of original metric alloys). There has not been a problem since fitting many years ago.

Will keep the forum posted with updates.

Cheers,
    Kim

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    Hello all,

Many thanks for the replies / suggestions to date.

Re the possibility of it being a defective / deformed tyre, I think that is remote (based upon the nature of the noise). However, will definitely check this out.

Re the rims / calipers, the rims are standard (well, 15" imperial Peugeot alloys in lieu of original metric alloys). There has not been a problem since fitting many years ago.

Will keep the forum posted with updates.

Cheers,
    Kim

have you checked the axle nut yet ?

don't ask me how i know but i have had a similar noise years ago and it was a slightly loose axle nut

i do think you will find the cause without too much drama under there somewhere
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

check everything on the left side aswell.........car bodys will carry sounds almost crystel clear, and what may sound like the drivers side can very well be the passangers side...........

not long ago i changed the rear crossmember rubbers in my 504, i was CERTAIN that it was the drivers side one, but i changed both anyways, and to my surprise, the passengers side was stuffed and the drivers side one was worn out, but intact....

maybe that theres something loose on the passangers side rear wheel......id tend to think so if the sound only occurs around right hand bends, the left wheel is taking a considerable amount of weight and stress, which might cause a noise if everything isnt done up tight....

Icon7

Kim,

Yes it was only occuring around corners, especially right hand ones. It wasn't that loud but was definately noticeable at low speeds <30km/h. Perhaps the wear in mine wasn't as advanced as yours.

Matt.

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Thanks to all the replies - the cause has been found!

Before revealing the culprit, let me add that in the last day or two, the 'wheel' type noise had started to include some vibrations from the rear exhaust assembly. This was happening both in straight ahead driving as well as on right hand curves / corners.

In addition, I was also starting to get some mild clutch shudder on initial clutch engagement from rest.

I got the car up on a hoist to check on the exhaust, as well as further investigate the mechanical type noise. The cause for both noises then was obvious - one of the bolts securing the differential housing to its mounts had fallen out!

This caused the differential housing to lean down on one side, which happened to be the side carrying an exhaust bracket. As a result, the rear exhaust pipe (before the rear muffler) vibrated on the rear cross member.

Fortunately, the correct bolt was found at a Repco engine shop, and after loctiting and retorquing back into place, everything is now OK.

I have not come across this incident before, but I hope that it is helpful to everyone else who might experience similar symtoms with their 505 or 504. In any case, check the security of the differential mounting bolts!

Cheers,
    Kim.

Icon7

Kim,

Good to hear it was a cheap and simple fix. 504's also had a driveline problem where the four bolts holding the torque tube to the gearbox would come loose and allow some play. This would cause clunking and shuddering. I think they fixed this in the 505's.

Matt.

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Thanks Matt,

Yes, simple in the end, and way to early to retire what has been an ultra reliable motor car.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Thread Information