205 cold start prob.
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 cold start prob.

the 205 is having cold start problems which makes me think that its the sensor in the cold start mechanism.
    it does not up the revs on cold start as before and idles a bit ruff until its warm and then no probs at all.after its warm it starts and idles fine.
    i understand that the mechanism uses the engine water running thru it to gauge the temp and that the sensor is most likley the culprit.
    Has anyone changed this sensor before.
    when i inquired from peugeot they said that they have never ordered one for a 205 before but im sure its the problem .
    any input?????-BAZZ

Advertisement

it's called the supplementary air device (SAD). They open extra air accross the throttle on starting, and for approx. 30 secs. after.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

al

I'm pretty sure you can still get them new, but if you can't Pugwreck have that and the thing it attaches to for $65.

Apparently you can test it by putting in the freezer or oven, (i can't remember which) and seeing if the little opening (which lets the air through) expands/contracts. I thing they have a diaphragm or something which dies after a while...

I swapped mine over a couple of weeks ago anyway... not too difficult when the engine is out of the car, but access may be a bit difficult. I think all it is attached with is two little bolts...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

did you change the whole mechanism ie the part that the hoses attatch to or just the sensor?
    when i change it ill do it with a new part i think.
    the sensor is $75 by itself and the whole unit is $175 new from peugeot.
    ill shop around and see if other parts suppliers have it cheaper.
    and i think ill get the mechanic to do it as its in a very tricky place to get at without the hoist etc.
    $65 for a second hand one is a good alternative but i think id rather get a new one.
    for now though ill just rev a little on cold starts.-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    it's called the supplementary air device (SAD). They open extra air accross the throttle on starting, and for approx. 30 secs. after.

thanx peter.

al

I wasn't aware that it worked on sensors... And it shouldn't be that expensive.

Read this http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...c=42508&hl=sad and things should make a little more sense.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Why not try the much cheaper water temp sensor for the ECU near the thermostat. This has a lot to do with mixture at cold engine temps. Probably should read 2200+ ohms at 20 deg, and maybe 200 when hot. These are guesstimate figures, but the resistance should change by these sorts of amounts.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    did you change the whole mechanism ie the part that the hoses attatch to or just the sensor?
    and i think ill get the mechanic to do it as its in a very tricky place to get at without the hoist etc.
    $65 for a second hand one is a good alternative but i think id rather get a new one.
    Ok it probably is a bit tricky to get to but unless the mechanic is free i'm sure it's not that hard. I say this cause mines hanging in there by the hoses . I'm waiting to receive the radiator so I can have a look at the whole system. I do believe tho that there are different ones according to year model and ECU type. Puggy

Quote Originally Posted by al
    I'm pretty sure you can still get them new, but if you can't Pugwreck have that and the thing it attaches to for $65.

Apparently you can test it by putting in the freezer or oven, (i can't remember which) and seeing if the little opening (which lets the air through) expands/contracts. I thing they have a diaphragm or something which dies after a while...

I swapped mine over a couple of weeks ago anyway... not too difficult when the engine is out of the car, but access may be a bit difficult. I think all it is attached with is two little bolts...

they work off a bi metalic strip. so when cold the little V shaped gap you can c should be bigger than when hot. take it off and look at it cold and then put it under hot watter, should close up. there is never a hue gap either. think was less than 45deg at 20deg. they can also be adjusted by the bolt, or is it nut? on them. loosen it off and lever it. you can change the size of the V shaped gap. if idle is low oppen your gape and c what happens. also check the line where it enters just after the throttle body as the can get clogged up due to oil blow by. my cardropped its idle in last week to. might just be the time of year to tun the idle srew?
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

I've had my car for maybe 5 years now and the S.A.D. didn't work from day one. I took it off a few years ago and confirmed that it did nothing (I tried freezer and boiling water), so I ripped it out along with the associated hoses - helps tidy up and give better access in the engine bay.

Maybe I run a slightly higher than spec idle speed but I have no problems. I live in Gippsland (East of Melbourne) so winters get reasonably cold; frosts are more common and colder than in Melbourne.

Maybe earlier series GTIs benefit more from them due to their different engine management system?

Rick
    1992 205GTI

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    they work off a bi metalic strip. so when cold the little V shaped gap you can c should be bigger than when hot. take it off and look at it cold and then put it under hot watter, should close up. there is never a hue gap either. think was less than 45deg at 20deg. they can also be adjusted by the bolt, or is it nut? on them. loosen it off and lever it. you can change the size of the V shaped gap. if idle is low oppen your gape and c what happens. also check the line where it enters just after the throttle body as the can get clogged up due to oil blow by. my cardropped its idle in last week to. might just be the time of year to tun the idle srew?

id rather fix it than turn up the revs at the presernt cost of fuel.
    also playing with the idle on these things is not recomeneded.
    i did it once and it took me weeks to get it back to the proper position so the car runs economically and not sitting on high revs..
    the upshot is that the sensor is in an accesable position once you take the dizzy cap off.
    you can reach it,touch it and work on it very easy.-BAZZ

Read this http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...c=42508&hl=sad and things should make a little more sense.

if you look on unit itself ,there is a sensor plug on the side of it attatched to two wires.
    this is whats faulty .
    jees you love that gti drivers forum al.
    its not bad ive checked it out but i prefer the aussiefrogs for local knowledge.-BAZZ

Rea
    d this http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...c=42508&hl=sad and things should make a little more sense.

if you look on unit itself ,there is a sensor plug on the side of it attatched to two wires.
    this is whats faulty .
    jees you love that gti drivers forum al.
    its not bad ive checked it out but i prefer the aussiefrogs for local knowledge,
    check with peugeot on the prices mate if you dont beleive me and you think they are expensive.-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    Bazz, have you tried Caravelle or European Auto Imports? If they have the part it will definitely be cheaper. I never buy stuff from Peugeot it's always waaaay more
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Thread Information