Idling Vibration S1 Mi16
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Idling Vibration S1 Mi16

Hi there,

Just wondering how much vibration there is at idle in a S1 Mi16? The steering wheel in mine transmits quite a bit of vibration and you can feel the engine 'pop' every now and then, sort of like a lesser misfire. I've replaced the injectors, spark plugs, leads and swapped the air flow meter and box but this has only lessened then amount of 'popping', admittedly by a large amount, but not completely, but not the vibration. From what i've noticed the 'popping' gets worse when sitting on an incline also.

I was also thinking it could be a problem with the steering column or rack, but not sure. The engine mounts are fine as well.

Any comments or advice would be great!

Cheers

Advertisement

Alex

1000+ Posts

Alex, mine absolutely purrs at idle - there is no vibration in the wheel whatsoever. I have no idea what the problem is, though, other than the usual crank angle sensor or other sensor. Maybe a diagnostic check using the 'K' light and a piece of wire in the underbonnet plug, as explained previously on this forum, could help?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thanks Stuey,

Where would i find the thread for that article. Also, what do you mean by the K light and underbonnet plug? Don't know a lot of the terminology!

Also, do think having it run on a dyno would help at all? I've had the exhaust emissions checked and the result was that the engine was running lean at idle. The new injectots helped that so the popping or lumpiness i described earlier decreased but the vibration remained.

On that note, does anyone know of a good place to get your car dyno'ed in Canberra and how much it should cost?

Cheers

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMi16
    Thanks Stuey,

Where would i find the thread for that article. Also, what do you mean by the K light and underbonnet plug? Don't know a lot of the terminology!

Also, do think having it run on a dyno would help at all? I've had the exhaust emissions checked and the result was that the engine was running lean at idle. The new injectots helped that so the popping or lumpiness i described earlier decreased but the vibration remained.

On that note, does anyone know of a good place to get your car dyno'ed in Canberra and how much it should cost?

Cheers

Alex

Hi

Peter at Auto tech in Fyshwick is good. He charges around $65 though this might have changed. Are you the guy with the Mi 16 with the big exhaust that I saw out the front of alpine motors the other day?

Ky

1000+ Posts

Alex, the 'K' light is a warning light on the dash which I understand is the symbol for a transistor, and which basically means that there's an issue with the engine management. You can short out a particular plug under the bonnet which is found in the plastic case in front of the right hand shock tower, and fault codes can be read from this light which flashes in a particular sequence. See:

K-Light on Mi16

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thanks Stuey, I know what you mean now, i'll give it a go and see what happens!

Kaiser, that wasn't me, i've got a bog standard white one, and i'll give the guys out at fyshwick a call, thanks!

Thread Information