Coolant for aluminium radiator
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Coolant for aluminium radiator

Hi, I'm in the process of replacing my radiator & other bits (water pump, thermo, hoses, etc.). I was wanting to know what type of coolant would be good. Perhaps the standard is ok but I've heard/read somwhere about an "organic" coolant would be better for aluminium components. Is this true or a rumor please? Ty. Puggy.

Advertisement

The organic stuff or OAT as it is known is an initiative of the EEC apparently along with some other dictatorial decrees they've passed into law including replacing a proven product like LHM in Citroens with a synthetic material, so whether it has been done for the good of mankind or the good of one of their mates bank balance has always got to be considered and not be taken as a foregone conclusion.
    One thing I do know is that it cannot be mixed with any glycol based coolant and personally, if I had a system that had been using glycol, I doubt that I'd be taking the risk on new and no doubt expensive components by risking any reaction by the OAT with any residues from the glycol.
    Personally, I buy a 95% glycol concentrate and mix it with demineralised water to around a 50/50 mix. This way, if I need to top up, I can do so by alternating between glycol and demineralised water and keep the dilution rate fairly constant at its original figure.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

I have been using Shell coolant for a while now, no problems at all, I have heard of this organic stuff as well but like Alan said whether there is a benefit or helping someones bank balance has yet to be seen, so i would just stick with the normal stuff for now..
    05' Megane 225 Cup

From those overseas who have cars that have it in from new, they swear by it and probably rightly so, but these cars were built in the knowledge that OAT would be used in them, however in earlier cars, there may be components that don't take quite so readily to its use besides the risk of contamiation from older coolant and I think therein lies the risk.

Alan S

1000+ Posts

Some time ago i read about coolants in Popular Mechanics. As i remember there are three differnt types (organic one was not mentioned). It is very important to use the one specified for the car. It has to do with the types of metals used in the system.
    I've tried to retrieve the article without much luck. If anybody has the info i'd be very curious to reread it.
    JoBo

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    Some time ago i read about coolants in Popular Mechanics. As i remember there are three differnt types (organic one was not mentioned). It is very important to use the one specified for the car. It has to do with the types of metals used in the system.
    I've tried to retrieve the article without much luck. If anybody has the info i'd be very curious to reread it.
    JoBo
    I'm under the impression ,hopefully corectly,that the primary reason I have a coolent in the block is to stop electrolosis of the different metals.Isn't an inhibitor an inhibitor,regardles of the metals used.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    I'm under the impression ,hopefully corectly,that the primary reason I have a coolent in the block is to stop electrolosis of the different metals.Isn't an inhibitor an inhibitor,regardles of the metals used.
    Jo
    We could revisit many old threads here, if not careful!!

Glycol is not an inhibitor, quite the opposite. It (I think) raises boiling point and lowers freezing point compared with pure water. Glycol-based coolants must have inhibitors to keep corrosion at bay. Complex area. Our Peugeot, two heater radiators later, really likes Peugeot coolant. Older cars, that I service, get neat BP coolant (used in WA for the best part of 40 years now by Eurocars and others and very good in my experience). I don't think it matters much which you use if it is reputable, you stick to it and don't mix them, and if it is changed when it should be.

I'll stop there, but you could find much, much more in earlier threads.

cheers

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Personally, I buy a 95% glycol concentrate and mix it with demineralised water to around a 50/50 mix.
    Good advice. Just make sure it's deminerlised and not distilled. K-Mart sell it.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

A word to the wise about glycol though; if you catch it in a container and intend disposing of it, do it immediately and if you intend reusing, store it in a container with a lid on it.
    This applies in particular to anyone with dogs, cats or kids as it has a sweet taste to it and is a poison. I heard not long back about a guy changing his coolant and caught it in a bucket. Along came the Labrador who had a nice drink and was dead within a couple of hours.

Alan S

Fellow Frogger!

Ty to all, I believe your knowledge comes from experience(s). Great help.

When I was a kid I did odd jobs for a farmer who said that he put old used engine oil in his tractor radiator instead of water.

Was he talking rubbish?

I'm sure I saw him do it, but have the years (and no doubt the drink) dulled my memory, and would it work?

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Good advice. Just make sure it's deminerlised and not distilled. K-Mart sell it.
    Why not distilled, Peter?
    Terry

1000+ Posts

This explains it perfectly:

http://diggersaust.com.au/prodinfo/d...ed%20water.pdf

However, what about the stuff called distilled, but in the small print stating "de-ionised"? I assumed this was the same as demineralised (that is, the ionic salts are removed) and I used it in my R12, but I'm not sure...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet
    When I was a kid I did odd jobs for a farmer who said that he put old used engine oil in his tractor radiator instead of water.

Was he talking rubbish?

I'm sure I saw him do it, but have the years (and no doubt the drink) dulled my memory, and would it work?

Mike.
    Reminds me, when i was a kid in an Austrian village one farmer used diesel in the cooling system of his tractor. He didn't want to spend money on antifreeze (i think they used that in wine) and did not want the bother of draining the radiator at the end of the day during winter when it could go to -20deg C.

just how necesarry is it to use deminerilised water in the radiator system.
    ive been using tap water with a 50/50 coolant mix.
    is this a big no no??.
    im changing the radiator and hoses in about 2 mnths due to a small leak and ill start doing it then if its really a good idea.
    i suppose rusting is an issue with tap water?
    i used tap water in my old 504's with no problem.
    they had holden radiators in them as a mod.
    whats the skinny???-BAZZ

Apart from chlorine, fluoride, aluminium hydroxide, calcium, manganese, salt and any other crap they want to dispose of being in it, a ph test on tap water in most cases will show it as being acidic. Ask anyone with fish tanks what their readings are and you'll find with tank water neutral/alkaline is usually the go but tap water will always come out acidic, so basically you're putting the catalyst for electrolysis into the system.
    Demineralised/reverse osmosis treated water should be neutral. It serves several purposes having coolant in the system amongst them reducing electrical conductivity. Take a read here; it's an article I'll get around to finishing one day (when I get time) but still covers this topic fairly well.

*General - Coolant, corrosion and overheating (Alan S)

Alan S

MY water is pretty neutral at about 6.4 6.5 ph.
    the old fish tank again.
    i also have a p.h pen ,not those strips of card so its very accurate.
    i suppose all the other shit is the problem tho.
    my freind has a reverse osmosis machine as his kid is allergic to everything and needs pure water.
    may borrow it.,
    ta allan-BAZZ

Thread Information