S16 coolant hose question
  • Register
  • Help

Default S16 coolant hose question

Hi Guys,

last night I noticed a coolant leak... It is the hose that goes from the head (just in front of the vacuum assist pump on the end of the cam) to the bottom of the radiator expansion tank. On pulling it off, the fitting is 10mm diameter but the hose has a moulding on it (the bit that's broken) and the actual hose inside diameter is more like 4mm. I'm about to walk up to the local autopro and see if I can get some 10mm id hose (and some wd40 as the lower radiator screw clamp is tight, and the fitting looks very fragile... plastic in cooling systems... sheesh) to get it going again, I'm figuring it should be ok, at least for a short while, but wondering if there is any reason why using bigger id hose would cause problems.... the fitting on the head actually is also about 4mm id and has a screw thread in it... weird.... if no problem I'll just leave the new hose (assuming I can get it!!) and not bother getting a genuine replacement (which I imagine will set me back several hundred dollars!).

Advertisement

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

1000+ Posts

Yes, i've replaced almost all hoses on R19s by matching them going behind the counter at BURSONS for a fraction of the cost of origionals.

1000+ Posts

What I do with these types of hoses is join the two different sizes with a brass adaptor with the appropriate different sized ends on the adaptor, and two clamps.

(Oh, Tony, I've finally ordered those speaker drivers. Should be here on Tuesday. I went with the Peerless 831916 woofer and Vifa D26TG-05-06 silk dome tweeter.)

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Hmmmm haven't heard of bursons, nearest one appears to be Newcastle. Do they stock aftermarket parts for french cars, or have you managed to find hoses from other cars that will fit??

Good suggestion Stuey I got some 3/8th" hose today and replaced the pipe (temporarily) but haven't bled the system yet, won't get a chance till Monday, I think I'll get it driveable, then go looking for the fittings to do the job properly. I noticed there were more of these style hoses at the back of the engine when I was poking around, could be a good idea to replace the lot!

good to hear your getting the speakers, my project has been a bit slow need to get some veneer, as I can't chamfer my baffle till I veneer the cabs, and I need to do that before final testing for the crossover design..... bet you'll be busy come Tuesday afternoon

Tony.

ps. I think it was a good decision to go with the peerless edited to say what I meant rather than what I said!!!!!
    Last edited by Wintermute; 16th October 2005 at 04:16 PM.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

1000+ Posts

Tony, that was the 6.5" Peerless that you suggested, not the 8" Logic one with the dodgy response curve.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Tony, that was the 6.5" Peerless that you suggested, not the 8" Logic one with the dodgy response curve.

Stuey
    I just read what I said sorry Stuey for any stress it caused.... I meant to say I think it was a wise decision!!!!! I'll edit the response now!!!! I don't know what happened there (I think I originally started typing "I don't think you will regret getting the peerless and then changed it, obviously incorrectly!!!! Once again appologise profusely!!!!

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

1000+ Posts

Thanks Tony - ignore my PM too..

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information