Adjustable Brake Proportioning Valve
  • Register
  • Help
    Administrator

Default Adjustable Brake Proportioning Valve

Has anyone here got any experience with these?

I am soon to convert the rear brakes to disc's and was intending to keep the current master cylinder.

I was going to remove the rear suspension linked proportioning valve (which are getting rare) and relpace it with one of these so I can fine tune the rear brake bias.

My only question is whether they are designed to be fitted externally?

Advertisement

I was basically going to fit it exactly where the existing unit is and get a new pipe made up...

They are generally mounted IN the cabin, but the are a right pain on ABS cars, plus you might need to have additional line work done. I had one in the big $$$ R33 I (support) supersprinted for a season and it helped when going from track to track, but little help else were as the skyline had minimal weight shift. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Will this unit handle both left and right lines? if so it might be the end of my search for an alternative.
    Jo

Might be good on the track, but I would say not so hot for road use. The whole point of the factory setup is that it compensates for suspension height. As such, it reduces power to the rear as the nose dives under heavy braking to stop rear lock up, and also compensates for weight in the back.

Factory Fuego valve is adjustable anyway where the lever attachs to the rod that attaches to the A arm. I remember a fun afternoon adjusting one I fitted by virtue of the dirt road nearby. Trial and error to get the rears to lock just after the fronts. Worked a treat Just play with the adjustment after you fit the discs.

Out of interest - what rear brakes are you fitting?
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Mistareno,

if you had a hydro Cit your car would fix this sort of stuff for you all by itself!

Sorry, a cheap shot I know, but too good to pass up!
    Cheers,
    Brett

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Out of interest - what rear brakes are you fitting?
    I'll post some pics if I get around to doing it next week (on holidays ATM) but I'm using Mitsubishi Magna (TP) Calipers with Renault Laguna I discs...

It will involve getting a new cable and lines made up, but I've already sorted someone out to do that and I know an engineer who will look at all the mounting hardware before it goes on and sign it off...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Brett R
    Mistareno,

if you had a hydro Cit your car would fix this sort of stuff for you all by itself!

Cheers,
    Brett
    If I had a hydro Cit, I wouldn't need brakes cos I'd drive it off the nearest cliff...

Regards,
    Richard

Ouch! Guess I deserved that...

Brake bias valves are essential for 205 track work, so you can set the bias 99% front. They are illegal on street cars however.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    I'll post some pics if I get around to doing it next week (on holidays ATM) but I'm using Mitsubishi Magna (TP) Calipers with Renault Laguna I discs...

It will involve getting a new cable and lines made up, but I've already sorted someone out to do that and I know an engineer who will look at all the mounting hardware before it goes on and sign it off...
    That should work nicely. Dont forget to put those R25 brakes on the front to even things up
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Default Brake compensator.

Fitted "higher" springs to my Hilux years ago. Wondered where the brakes went at the first intersection. Needed to add a small bracket to raise the connection point for the compensator arm. Gravel road fine tuning optimised it.

Paul,
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost.

Thread Information