Pug 404 hydraulic clutch - to floor
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Pug 404 hydraulic clutch - to floor

Hi, I'm just a week back into old Peugeot ownership, and am going through a series of breakdowns - hopefully the kind that can be looked back on as comical in a few years. (leaky heater valve then a tired condensor)

Latest is that after a day's standing clutch pedal on my 404 went near to floor, only just allowing gearchange - and deteriorated in subsequent 4 or 5 depresses I needed to get me home. It had been OK earlier in day.

Advertisement

Cursory look under the hood reveals brake fluid is leaking from the base of the master cylinder.

Given that the car is on it's 2nd tank of fuel after being in storage for 8 years, I am assuming the cups have perished:
    What else is likely to have suffered from lack of use?

My plan is to renovate the master with a clutch cylinder kit.

I have a few questions specific to running a kit through the master cylinder:
    - are master Cylinder kits for 404s available? (perhaps same as early 504?)
    - Is fitting the kit feasible for an enthusiatic Klutz like me? Or is it a job for a pro?
    - From reading a 2003 post,bleeding sounds awfully hard, something about no room to pump the master. Is it that bad?
    - am I likely to find a re-kitted cylinder is trashed again by some underlying problem? (cylinder bores? Linkages, etc?)

Is my whole assumption about seals "going" due to lack of use, dodgy?

At moment the wife & kids are looking pityingly at me - as if I'd bought home a 3-legged dog with a bung eye and flatulence. If I don't get the clutch fixed fast & nip any other problems in the bud: pity will turn to scorn.
    Andrew Vickery - 404 with 2 x babyseats

Quote Originally Posted by drevick
    Hi, I'm just a week back into old Peugeot ownership, and am going through a series of breakdowns - hopefully the kind that can be looked back on as comical in a few years. (leaky heater valve then a tired condensor)

Latest is that after a day's standing clutch pedal on my 404 went near to floor, only just allowing gearchange - and deteriorated in subsequent 4 or 5 depresses I needed to get me home. It had been OK earlier in day.

Cursory look under the hood reveals brake fluid is leaking from the base of the master cylinder.

Given that the car is on it's 2nd tank of fuel after being in storage for 8 years, I am assuming the cups have perished:

- Is fitting the kit feasible for an enthusiatic Klutz like me? Or is it a job for a pro?
    - From reading a 2003 post,bleeding sounds awfully hard, something about no room to pump the master. Is it that bad?
    - am I likely to find a re-kitted cylinder is trashed again by some underlying problem? (cylinder bores? Linkages, etc?)

At moment the wife & kids are looking pityingly at me - as if I'd bought home a 3-legged dog with a bung eye and flatulence. If I don't get the clutch fixed fast & nip any other problems in the bud: pity will turn to scorn.
    I doubt if you can still buy clutch masters for the 404 unless you find someone with new old stock. Given the lack of use the seals have probably perished and you will probably find the bore is pitted as well. If you put the new seals in it will start leaking again very soon. I suggest you get the bore sleeved in stainless and then put the new seals in. Any decent brake shop should be able to get this done. You might want to do the slave as well.

Jarrod

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by drevick

The cylinder is different to the 504 and bleeding is a breeze.
    Just take the cap off and push the valve (in the middle of the reservoir) down whilst lifting the lever underneath with your other hand.
    Try this now, you will fix your clutch problem, temporarily at least.
    Try EAI, they might have new ones. 03 9899 6683.
    Otherwise new kits are available.
    Graham

Thread Information