BA7/5 in Peugeot 404
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Venlo Netherlands
    Posts
    7

    Default BA7/5 in Peugeot 404

    I want to fit a 5speed gearbox in to my 404. I read that this must be possible. But i have to use the bell house of the BA7 of my 404 because the clutch of the 404 is mechanic and the bell of a 505 does not fit to the engine. The BA7 bell housing has a different way of preventing gearbox oil getting to the clutch. Is there a solution to this problem?

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luc van Dijck
    I want to fit a 5speed gearbox in to my 404. I read that this must be possible. But i have to use the bell house of the BA7 of my 404 because the clutch of the 404 is mechanic and the bell of a 505 does not fit to the engine. The BA7 bell housing has a different way of preventing gearbox oil getting to the clutch. Is there a solution to this problem?

    Sounds like you have an early 404 with C3 gearbox, and are trying to fit an OHC 505 gearbox!
    You would be far better off to change to a hydraulic clutch set up as you can't buy the early clutches anymore and the improvement you will get from a hydraulic (diaphragm) clutch is far greater than from the 5th speed. You will need to change the input shaft if you have a OHC gearbox but can't help you apart from that. Ray Bell has done this but he isn't on the forum anymore.
    Graham

  3. #3
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Venlo Netherlands
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Sounds like you have an early 404 with C3 gearbox, and are trying to fit an OHC 505 gearbox!
    You would be far better off to change to a hydraulic clutch set up as you can't buy the early clutches anymore and the improvement you will get from a hydraulic (diaphragm) clutch is far greater than from the 5th speed. You will need to change the input shaft if you have a OHC gearbox but can't help you apart from that. Ray Bell has done this but he isn't on the forum anymore.
    Graham
    No I have a ba7 gear box in my 1973 peug 404 and a 1800cc motor of a 504.

  4. #4
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luc van Dijck
    No I have a ba7 gear box in my 1973 peug 404 and a 1800cc motor of a 504.
    Ah, it's the 505 gearbox which has the mechanically operated clutch then?
    Graham

  5. #5
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Venlo Netherlands
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Ah, it's the 505 gearbox which has the mechanically operated clutch then?
    Graham
    In my peu 404 I have a ba7 gearbox with a hydraulic clutch. The Ba7/5 comes out of a 505 and has a mechanic clutch.
    I saw also the incom shaft is different, so the bell housing is not exchangeble.
    I was olso told that the speedomeater gear would be different, a other number of theat?

  6. #6
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Venlo Netherlands
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I read this on the holland peugeot site http://www.vandansik.nl/phpBB2/viewt...&highlight=ba7ik heb goede ervaringen met snellere overbrengingen, de wormen zijn in combinatie met het wormwiel gewoon uitwisselbaar maar wel met de juiste shims. speciaal gereedschap kan je bij mij lenen.
    hoor het wel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luc van Dijck
    In my peu 404 I have a ba7 gearbox with a hydraulic clutch. The Ba7/5 comes out of a 505 and has a mechanic clutch.
    I saw also the incom shaft is different, so the bell housing is not exchangeble.
    I was olso told that the speedomeater gear would be different, a other number of theat?

  7. #7
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luc van Dijck
    In my peu 404 I have a ba7 gearbox with a hydraulic clutch. The Ba7/5 comes out of a 505 and has a mechanic clutch.
    I saw also the incom shaft is different, so the bell housing is not exchangeble.
    I was olso told that the speedomeater gear would be different, a other number of theat?
    I have recieved the following advice:

    Could you tell him that if he fits the bellhousing and input shaft from a 504 (probably after about '74 model) he will be able to use that gearbox?

    He should just check the number of teeth on the input shaft and check the mesh before he assembles it.


    Graham

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •