Bitron Controller 405
  • Register
  • Help

Default Bitron Controller 405

Has anyone on here played with the bitron controller to alter the radiator fan switch on temps? The low speed fans come on as normal at 90c, and if it is as simple as changing a resistor on the pc board, I would give it a go.

Why do I want to do it? Dont know, maybe to much spare time on my hands.....

Advertisement

Terry

I have a Bi-tron here that an electronics engineer tried to do things with to see if it could be altered or reconditioned/repaired in any way and he gave up.......if that's any help to you.
    Might save you wasting a lot of time and $140 for another.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

all you have to do is trick the Bitron by supplying a different resistance. I don't have the numbers in front of me, so can't advise whether it is a +ve or -ve temp. co-efficient.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

We did it.
    A 200Hom resistor will do a perfect job.
    You can see in this post. It's in Hebrew so you cant understand but you can see the pics.

Yaron,
    Israel

Thanks for the replies.... I fitted a 200 ohm in series with a sender lead, then swapped that for a 100 ohm, nearly there, a 50 ohm did what I was looking for. I was concerned that this approach would also lead to a lower fan off point, but it now switches on at 83-84c, and switches of at 80c. ( taken from my temperature gauge ).

The high speed switch temp. appears to be lowered a similar amount.

Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by tasgill
    Thanks for the replies.... I fitted a 200 ohm in series with a sender lead, then swapped that for a 100 ohm, nearly there, a 50 ohm did what I was looking for. I was concerned that this approach would also lead to a lower fan off point, but it now switches on at 83-84c, and switches of at 80c. ( taken from my temperature gauge ).

The high speed switch temp. appears to be lowered a similar amount.

Terry.
    a 47ohm perhaps?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

From memory 405 thermostats are set to open fully by 84 degrees celsius. Are you sure you aren't going to cause a problem in having no middle ground between when the thermostat opens and the fans come on, causing the thermostat to always be less than fully open and the fans on all the time?
    Last edited by Demannu; 5th October 2005 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typos
    Scotty

Brisbane, now with a garage and workshop again!

1956 Peugeot 403 - resto project - can you help with parts?

1969 Peugeot 504 - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 2ltr square port

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - retrofitted ES9J4S with Megasquirt 2 running VVT and 5 speed manual

2005 Peugeot 607 - Luxobarge / Land Yacht

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - hatchback on steroids

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    a 47ohm perhaps?
    1/2 watt 51 ohm.

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu
    From memory 405 thermostats are set to open fully by 84 degrees celsius. Are you sure you aren't going to cause a problem in having no middle ground between when the thermostat opens and the fans come on, causing the thermostat to always be less than fully open and the fans on all the time?
    This was the problem with the higher value resistors, with the 51 ohm the fans appear to cycle correctly. I will keep a close eye on things tho.

Terry

Default Where's the bitron and its temperature sensor?

Guys, as this is the only thread I could find that mentioned the Bitron sensor I was hoping you could help.

I have a 1989 405 ( XU9j2 ) which seems to run the fans at full speed too much.

the dash temp guage holds a steady 80degrees but the fans come on full bore when the ones in the S2 Mi16 do not come on at all..

I did put in a new thermostat and a new plastic thermostat cover and hose connector when I got the car earlier this year.

Problem is that the Haynes mentions the Bitron on Air con equipped 405s but I cannot see any sensors in the thermostat housing and have no idea where the acutal unit is....

Any help greatly appreaciated.

Thanks
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Quote Originally Posted by trevh
    Guys, as this is the only thread I could find that mentioned the Bitron sensor I was hoping you could help.

I have a 1989 405 ( XU9j2 ) which seems to run the fans at full speed too much.

the dash temp guage holds a steady 80degrees but the fans come on full bore when the ones in the S2 Mi16 do not come on at all..

I did put in a new thermostat and a new plastic thermostat cover and hose connector when I got the car earlier this year.

Problem is that the Haynes mentions the Bitron on Air con equipped 405s but I cannot see any sensors in the thermostat housing and have no idea where the acutal unit is....

Any help greatly appreaciated.

Thanks
    sounds like the coolant sensor for the Bitron (not the guage) has gone open circuit. Look for corrosion, coolant etc. around the connector.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default Found it!

thanks peter for your help.

I had another look around the thremostat end of the head after reading some other threads in the pug forum and I have now found two sensors on the back of the head opposite the thermostat and below the distributor. one has two brown wires one of which has lost most of its insulation and the other has one red wire. There has been an oil leak from the distributor drive which has left the area pretty messy.

Can anyone enlighten me as to which sensor does what. I have had a look at the peugeot parts CDs from AF and cannot find the sensors or the bitron. anyone know where they are?

Thanks
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Thread Information