gti 180
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: gti 180

Tadpole

Default gti 180

Could any one help me improve the bhp of my 206 gti 180 as i don't know what else too do, so far have fitted piper cross viper induction kit and de-cat pipe which has made a noticeable difference so basicly what can i do next?

Advertisement

Not to say I'm conservative, but most mods heard of for the 180 did little to improve the performance.

French owners claim that de-catting actually decreases performance, although they 'feel' it kicks better And induction kits give little bhp gain, given the $$ spent on the kits.

If you must go hardcore, then the list starts with injectors, and intake manifold change, only then you will start picking up some serious hp's, then you have Nitrous kits (heard the gain in GTi's to be quite impressive)

But again, the 180 is already optimised for the 'fun' road use, and the engine isn't what I consider lacking in terms of performance. Perhaps you will need to look at how far you can really push the car (and boy does it impress), and soon you will realise that the standard equipment is more than enough.

If you're after the raw feeling of power, then look at getting an Integra Type R

In Australia: ‘05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: ‘09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Do you mean the new integra Type R?? I thought the new "sports" integra was the Type S... Although you may be talking about the old integra, which I know nothing about. The new type S which is the hardcore sports version of the type R (strange, I know )

Anyway, I read a good review where they put the 180 up against the type S, the 180 thrashed it in every focus, and this was the hardcore sport version Integra, the 180 also had a better 0-100 time.

On this subject, to the man asking of modding his 180. If you don't already know, the 180 is a highly tuned car. Little aftermarket "toy" mods such as air filters etc can make a big difference. For this sort of car, which is pulling 180bhp out of a 2L engine You have to look into changing allot of the engine components such as injectors and cam's, camshafts etc. It is an expensive process. !!!!***$$$***!!!!

There is someone on this forum who is pushing 200bhp out of his 180, although he never is on any more. He spent many dollars on changing engine components and now his engine is pushing 200bhp, I would suspect a 0-100 time of 6 seconds.

Be prepared to spend ALOT of money, my advice is don't do it... And by all means do what Pug4eva suggested. Before you decide to go out and mod your machine for some serious straight line performance, try to master some serious s bends

yeah rustymunga, I was referring to the older Type R (I think 146kw from the 1.8ltr )

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

The 180 and integra type r differ radically, they both hhave completely different feel of driving, one is more refined, the other is more raw and boxy and earth shattering

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Hey Pug4eva, you own a 206 GTi and a 206 GTi... Thats cool man What is the overall difference like?

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga
    Before you decide to go out and mod your machine for some serious straight line performance, try to master some serious s bends
    Rusty, some of the wisest advice you've ever issued on AF ... the young padwan is showing potential beyond his years.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Thanks xTc,

I try

Hey Pug4eva, you own a 206 GTi and a 206 GTi... Thats cool man What is the overall difference like?
    I owned the GTi up until last week of April, before getting the 180 on 05/05/2005

And for the record, yes the Gti 180 feels great to drive, just as much as the GTi does, although the first is more sure footed by few percentiles.

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

That would be my recomendation - spend some money on driving courses because the benefit you will get out of it will far outshine a few bhp gains.

No use in having a good performing car if you can't drive the thing or get the maximum out of it.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Tadpole

Thanks for ur help. I do know that the pipercross viper induction kit gives a gti 180 4bhp as i got my one rollin roaded before and after. I still have to get it rolling roaded still i got a de-cat pipe fitted cos it feels like it has more pull with it fitted. So once i get it done i will let u's know what differences it has made. The noise is better but noise and power could be totally different. As for suspension all i got was eibach 50mm lowering springs. Apparently if you lower it more than 50mm it will start to bounce round corners which isn't good. I have tested my gti 180 to the max and i would say its the best money i have spent as the power is always there when u need it. Has anyone managed to get 147mph + out of there 180 cos thats the most i have pushed out of mine as after that you basically need another gear as its almost hitting the 7400rpm limiter in 5th gear?

So psgti180,

have you attended any motokhana's or track days in your little weapon?

We get heaps of those improve perfomance type questions and the consensus seems to be that it just leads to dead young drivers. So we have half a principle of encouraging people to improve their driving skills and setting them against each other on a track so we can really see who can drive.

Because like you, over there, we've got heaps of stop light heroes and fools that will drive cars at reckless speeds on public roads and put other peoples' lives at risk.

So I just thought I'd spell it out for you as you seemed not to notice what was said, caution, learn how to drive what you've got, you didn't mention the joys of lift off oversteer or positioning the car using torque steer or anything but power and speed, and I bet you won't write when you stack it or run into another car or frighten the wits out of somebody or loose your license.

Please write and tell us your a founding member of the local motor sport club and done hundreds of hours track time and christmas runs for the needy.

Or we might think your another two bob ****** with more easy credit than sense.

Have a NICE DAY.

ed ge

Nice one dredge,

Succinct, with just a slight garnish of the acerbic.

Scotsmen trying to improve themselves, whatever next?!

Mike.

Ahh, the joys of owning a turbo, very easy to gain more power.

N/A is a struggle, I'd try exhaust/extractors. Although everbody on here would say that Peugeot has tuned the exhaust to perfection & you can't better it, I find that hard to beleive as they have to be within emissions, noise levels.

Not alot else you can do without cracking the engine open.
    1990 series 1, 405 Mi16 <-- Sold
    1998 Nissan 180sx TypeX, 2lt, rwd Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    So psgti180,

have you attended any motokhana's or track days in your little weapon?

We get heaps of those improve perfomance type questions and the consensus seems to be that it just leads to dead young drivers. So we have half a principle of encouraging people to improve their driving skills and setting them against each other on a track so we can really see who can drive.

Because like you, over there, we've got heaps of stop light heroes and fools that will drive cars at reckless speeds on public roads and put other peoples' lives at risk.

So I just thought I'd spell it out for you as you seemed not to notice what was said, caution, learn how to drive what you've got, you didn't mention the joys of lift off oversteer or positioning the car using torque steer or anything but power and speed, and I bet you won't write when you stack it or run into another car or frighten the wits out of somebody or loose your license.

Please write and tell us your a founding member of the local motor sport club and done hundreds of hours track time and christmas runs for the needy.

Or we might think your another two bob ****** with more easy credit than sense.

Have a NICE DAY.

ed ge

I think you scared him off edge

there are the typical mod's that cost the bucks...

like:

New Cams - fast road or rally would be fine for everyday driving... get stronger valve springs if you do this.

Headwork - get the seats 5 angle cut, get the chambers polished, get the ports polished, and matched to manifolds, see if you can oversize the valves. see about raising the compression

HPC coatings - exhaust system - will improve the flow and decrease the temp
    bleed.

Lighten the internals of the engine - pistons, cranks, pullys, etc...

If you going to get nos, get a constent mix setup were it's mixed with teh fuel so you just get a constent power increase not surges like with injection shot setups... can't remember what the constent mix setup is called...

just a few ideas...

like the post below pug sport stuff is nice....

with the cat gone you might get a bit more top end as it might free it up a bit... with the cat you might get a bit more back pressure hence a bit more mid-range pull

Fellow Frogger!

http://www.boutiquepeugeotsport.com/...p_en/index.asp

All you will ever need for your 180 is there. I'd suggest the stage 4 complete kit - 23,000 Euro's thankyouverymuch

Having seen the Group N 180 in the flesh, however, id say it looks like a very worthwhile mod

from what i remember they we're getting 190bhp at 6,500 rpm and somewhere around 210-220Nm torque. All the engine internals were stock and they have had no reliability issues!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL
    there are the typical mod's that cost the bucks...

Headwork - get the seats 5 angle cut, get the chambers polished, get the ports polished, and matched to manifolds, see if you can oversize the valves. see about raising the compression

Lighten the internals of the engine - pistons, cranks, pullys, etc...

just a few ideas...
    Mechachrome have already done the headwork. I don't think backyard bob could do much more. Also, it already has a lightened flywheel and balanced crank, 2" exhaust, headers, s/s cat, tuned intake...

Seriously, the 180 doesnt need any more peak power. Drive it through the hills where it is meant to be driven. It will keep up with any other car out there.

If you want to take it to the track then really what lets it down is the soft brakes.

Icon6 get low

Hi,

Well, I am very, very interested in what you guys have to say about this. I think if I were ever going to change my 180 in any aspect, I would lower it. Now, I know many of you are against this, however keep an open mind and is there any way that this can improve the performance, maybe with some new springs??

I would love to hear your comments as to what process would be involved in lowering a 206 GTi 180 and getting better performance/handling out of it...

The car would look so much better, lower to the ground, however I would never go there if it destroyed the ability’s around bends in the 180. Can anyone advise me to the best way to go if I wanted to lower the 180, and could you advise me as to how much (estimate) this would be costing me

Thanks for the comments guys

al

Rusty, join http://www.pughosting.co.uk/main/forums/forum.html

They have a dedicated gti180 forum, which has people who have actually modified their cars. They will be able to answer you questions from experience, and are unlikely to give you the lecture.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Thanks al!!

He's asleep Rusty.

ed ge

Quote Originally Posted by LeighO
    Mechachrome have already done the headwork. I don't think backyard bob could do much more. Also, it already has a lightened flywheel and balanced crank, 2" exhaust, headers, s/s cat, tuned intake...

Seriously, the 180 doesnt need any more peak power. Drive it through the hills where it is meant to be driven. It will keep up with any other car out there.

If you want to take it to the track then really what lets it down is the soft brakes.
    There is always more that you can get from the head. I know I work for a cylinder head manufacture. Production line heads are just like any other component on the car, they are a cross between performance/cost/comfort. Things like 5 angle seat cutting will make a massive difference as it allows the air to flow into the ports easier and smoother. Full Radius seats are also another option. Any porting work will generally increase flow (top end) and decrease velocity (mid-range). Seat cutting will help both flow and velocity... Also have a look at the positioning of the seat in the port, see if there is an undercut (the seat will not be flush with the port wall - usually the port wall is offset from the seat. it's also not always the same around the seat). I've got my friend Misty Mivec head here (engine makes 179hp factory - so it's comparable) the seats in that are shocking, the ports are easy to get a bit more out of. It's meant to be a high performance head also.

Ideally you would want a reputable place and supply them with a buggered head that they can chop up, so they can see the port wall thickness, the areas where there is more metal, so them might be able to reshape the port a bit. It's a black art port design and flows. If you take a bit too much from different areas it will kill the flow and/or velocity.

We design heads here for all major race applications, be it top fuel drag cars, NASCAR, v8 touring, jet sprint boats, etc...

I can tell you right now that every factory head can be improved. We are developing a Honda vtec head as a direct factory replacement that just though tighter tolerances and a slight redesign we have improved the flow by 10 cfm over the factory Honda... we have started to develop stage 2 and 3 head for it... trust me when I say you can improve them alot.

I’m getting kinda of sick of people going on about how good the pugs are, and how they can't be mod'd. Yes they are a great factory car, yes they handle amazing, yes I love them to bits. But they are factory, and all manufactures make compromises for all sorts of different reasons. It might have lighter internals, but there will be lighter parts out there it, If not he/she can get them made. STOP telling people that they shouldn’t look to improve their car to how they want it… You should be helping them, provide them with information.

I’ve been looking to race my pugs for ages, do you know how hard it was/is to find information about what I can do to the cars? Stop holding other people back, because you don’t feel they should have a faster car.
    Before you comment on how I’m some young fool, that wants a point and squirt car, the s16 is the fastest car I’ve ever owned. In the 205 gt I’ve managed keep up with lancer gsr/evo, mazda famila gtr, rx7 series 2… a lot of this came down to the driver as the car was easily faster than mine…

If I can help people make the car how they want it to be, or if they need some information I’ll provide what I know… Same as what many others do.
    Last edited by DRTDVL; 5th October 2005 at 09:45 AM.

al

Thanks al!!
    No worries. You have got some really good responses already. (the poms are so much better for those questions)

My only advice is to get rid of that bloody awful avatar!!!
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information