Brake upgrade for a 404
  • Register
  • Help

Default Brake upgrade for a 404

hi everyone,

Lately i've finally made the 5 speed gearbox conversion to my 404, and with the engine mods it runs like hell, but the next step was to put a turbocharger and so it will run more, but not brake enough!!!;
    So i was wonderin if there is a simple way to upgrade my brakes so they can brake enough when te car finally get the turbo.
    My brakes are from the early version 404 (four drums), but i've been told that for mounting disks (at least the front), it will be very complicated.
    So, all the information i can get is valuable.

Advertisement

Thankx Everybody
    Peugeot 404
    It's Hard to make a good pug here.
    Colombia Rules
    Gonzo404

Default disks for 404

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo404
    hi everyone,

Lately i've finally made the 5 speed gearbox conversion to my 404, and with the engine mods it runs like hell, but the next step was to put a turbocharger and so it will run more, but not brake enough!!!;
    So i was wonderin if there is a simple way to upgrade my brakes so they can brake enough when te car finally get the turbo.
    My brakes are from the early version 404 (four drums), but i've been told that for mounting disks (at least the front), it will be very complicated.
    So, all the information i can get is valuable.

Thankx Everybody
    Australian delivered 404s from 1968 on had front disks and they really stop.

The disk brake 404 has a power booster and a equaliser valve on the back brakes to improve braking balance. The brake plumbing and rear wheel cylinders diameter is also different from the drum models.

The easiest way would be to try and change over the brakes and plumbing, booster etc from a disk brake car.

Having said that, 504 disks and calipers (I'm pretty sure -Graham Wallace will tell you for sure) fit straight on the 404 stub axles which gives an easy upgrade. You have to sort out the front to rear hydraulic balance and fit a booster. There is the issue of the 3 stud/4 stud wheels and diameter.

Personally, I would try to find a disk brake 404 as donor car.

Tell us more about the 5 speed gearbox conversion ? I would like to do the same thing. 5 spped gearboxes which XN motors are very hard to find in Aust.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by robmac
    Australian delivered 404s from 1968 on had front disks and they really stop.

The disk brake 404 has a power booster and a equaliser valve on the back brakes to improve braking balance. The brake plumbing and rear wheel cylinders diameter is also different from the drum models.

The easiest way would be to try and change over the brakes and plumbing, booster etc from a disk brake car.

Having said that, 504 disks and calipers (I'm pretty sure -Graham Wallace will tell you for sure) fit straight on the 404 stub axles which gives an easy upgrade. You have to sort out the front to rear hydraulic balance and fit a booster. There is the issue of the 3 stud/4 stud wheels and diameter.

Personally, I would try to find a disk brake 404 as donor car.

Tell us more about the 5 speed gearbox conversion ? I would like to do the same thing. 5 spped gearboxes which XN motors are very hard to find in Aust.

The 504 discs bolt straight on but you need to modify the hubs and discs and use 504 caliper holders, if you want to use three stud wheels.
    As well as the booster and pressure limting valve you will need a residual pressure valve on the rear brakes or you may not be able to get a good pedal You take out the one in the bottom of the master cylinder as it would tend to hold the discs on slightly.
    On the late 404s this valve is located in the 4 way union on the front cross member.
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 2nd October 2005 at 08:40 PM.

Thread Information