Reconditioned clutches.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Reconditioned clutches.

I was talking to someone the other day who had been quoted for a clutch from a well known Sydney Parts supplier and had been offered I think it was 3 options, one of which was a "reconditioned" clutch.
    It's price was just above half price for a new one and my initial reaction was that if I was changing a clutch, given the labour content of the job, I'd still fing the new clutch the potentially cheaper option based on the risk of having to do the entire job again if it was faulty. He reckoned that they give a 12 months warranty and were quite good, yet I was still sceptical.
    However, I've just been on a site in the UK where clutches came into the conversation and mention of the clutch fitted by a franchise clutch fitting & fixing company was reconditioned and another member reckons that apparently this is an EEC directive based on environmental grounds.
    As the EEC have some very strange rulings that they've imposed over there even on non member nations (they were apparently the leftovers of Adolfs brigade anyway, so what's new) and as we seem to be have most of our legislations based on the "if they do it, it must be right" a.k.a. "Monkey see; monkey do" principle, I wonder how long it will be before they impose the same thing on us by increasing taxes on new clutches and making them a non viable option?
    How common are they here as yet and has anyone seen or heard about the reconditioned ones?

Advertisement

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Default Re-furbished clutches

Alan

That seems to be a common option, there are several clutch refurbishers in and around Melbourne -never had one fail. Price seems to be about $180 give or take a few dollars, and a new one (Fuego/ Valeo) in the region of $300.

Sometimes they replace springs with "heavy duty springs" and they are a bit stiffer to operate and they claim them as a "heavy duty refurbished" clutch, some are sold with a new throwout bearing as part of the package, others you have to buy a new one, then there are "factory refurbished" whatever that means.

Most important thing seems to be to ensure flywheel plate is lightly resurfaced, whatever unit is used.

Default Reco Clutches

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I was talking to someone the other day who had been quoted for a clutch from a well known Sydney Parts supplier and had been offered I think it was 3 options, one of which was a "reconditioned" clutch.
    It's price was just above half price for a new one and my initial reaction was that if I was changing a clutch, given the labour content of the job, I'd still fing the new clutch the potentially cheaper option based on the risk of having to do the entire job again if it was faulty. He reckoned that they give a 12 months warranty and were quite good, yet I was still sceptical.
    However, I've just been on a site in the UK where clutches came into the conversation and mention of the clutch fitted by a franchise clutch fitting & fixing company was reconditioned and another member reckons that apparently this is an EEC directive based on environmental grounds.
    As the EEC have some very strange rulings that they've imposed over there even on non member nations (they were apparently the leftovers of Adolfs brigade anyway, so what's new) and as we seem to be have most of our legislations based on the "if they do it, it must be right" a.k.a. "Monkey see; monkey do" principle, I wonder how long it will be before they impose the same thing on us by increasing taxes on new clutches and making them a non viable option?
    How common are they here as yet and has anyone seen or heard about the reconditioned ones?

Alan S

In my teenage years with203/403/ 404 I used reco clutches and pressure plates exclusively.

Never had the money to buy new stuff Regans

BGT (still going) in Burwood Road Hawthorn Victoria did all my clutch and brake stuff.

I suspect the earlier style pressure plates (Sachs Style) are easier to reco
    that the later style.

The guide as to whether the driven plate was a reco prospect was to check if the springs in the centre were still tight in the mounting, if the moved around the plate was scrapped.

I must say I never ever had a failure of reconditioned unit and would do it again, but dollar wise the non original new replacement parts are quite well priced and still may end up line ball in cost.

In years gone by non original parts were sold by dealers and they pocketted the savings !

1000+ Posts

Default Crook sets

A few years back, there were a few crook sets of popular clutches floating about, they purported to be new but whatever, they were very roughly finished, and may have been imported from some third world country after a lick and spit attempt to rivet and glue replacement asbestos discs to the surfaces.

They were a no brand clutch and the discs would separate and the clutch would chatter as the rivets loosened in service. The whole look and feel of them was shoddy, the only good point to a bodgey repairer was the low low price and then hope that you never saw the owner again.

Word soon got around about them, some of them turned up as display items showing why you should buy the "genuine" (made in Taiwan?) brand name replacement clutch packl instead.

If your worried about the quality, don't.
    A mate of mine just recon'd the clutch in his Ferrari 308.
    Saved himself around $4000 and it took only
    3 hours work to remove the clutch, get it recon'd
    and back into the car. Drove in and away the same
    morning for a few hundred bucks

He has since won the Classic Car category in recently
    run Targa West.

Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

My GT has been running a reco clutch for the past 5 years. The clutch plate was relined and the pressure plate was uprated. That clutch still is the strongest, hardest biting clutch in the family, and has lived with the abuse of a tuned engine with very light flywheel and a teenager the whole way through his L's and P plates .

Dave

Thread Information