R-134a in a DIY can
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default R-134a in a DIY can

Just saw a blurb in Car Mechanics Oct. '05 about the stuff sold by HALFORDS in the UK. Probably more info on www.halfords.com i guess.

Advertisement

Default R 410a

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    Just saw a blurb in Car Mechanics Oct. '05 about the stuff sold by HALFORDS in the UK. Probably more info on www.halfords.com i guess.
    Jo Bo,

You have become well versed in refrigerants.

I'm looking at putting in split system in at home, and the manfacturers seem to have changed from tried and proven R22 (of which I have a bottle) to one of these new fangled azetropic mixes named R410A, higher low side, 50% higher high side - and still a better refrigerant ?

I need about 250 gm to top up longer lines.

Have you seen a supply of small cans ?

regards

Rob

Moderators : sorry for the off topic post but it's kinda the same !

(As moderator, I see no problem; keep it going, as I'm interested too. Might suggest a thread on the Toad Pond relating to home A/C sometime in the near future to bring all up to speed on current trends particularly some of the Chinese stuff with Jap compressors as in giving an opinion?) Alan S Moderator.
    Last edited by Alan S; 5th October 2005 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac
    Jo Bo,

You have become well versed in refrigerants.

I'm looking at putting in split system in at home, and the manfacturers seem to have changed from tried and proven R22 (of which I have a bottle) to one of these new fangled azetropic mixes named R410A, higher low side, 50% higher high side - and still a better refrigerant ?

I need about 250 gm to top up longer lines.

Have you seen a supply of small cans ?

regards

Rob

Moderators : sorry for the off topic post but it's kinda the same !

(As moderator, I see no problem; keep it going, as I'm interested too. Might suggest a thread on the Toad Pond relating to home A/C sometime in the near future to bring all up to speed on current trends particularly some of the Chinese stuff with Jap compressors as in giving an opinion?) Alan S Moderator.
    Yes please!
    I would be interested in any information as I bought a new split system in a box (Misakae) a few years ago & haven't got round to getting it installed (or DIY??)
    So many projects - so little time.

1000+ Posts

Default Go for it. (Toad Pond Thread)

Great if we could pull together a lot of the stuff, particularly some of the nitty gritty about split system home A/C's.

Its hard to even get someone to install systems, let alone know that the person you are dealing with has the qualifications to do a good job along with a reasonable price structure.

There is a lot of stuff dumped here as DYI fodder and not much good information to guide one, or warn of pitfalls if you do try.

1000+ Posts

Hi guys, too much credit! I'm only a potterer looking to do my own stuff.
    But i'll enquire with our industrial refrigeration service technician about what you've raised Rob. Will let you know if they have any R410A. Can't promise how soon b'caus not sure if his boss will give me his contact no; then i'll have to wait till he comes to do a service.
    If Johnson Control have any then it may be a chance (our other service provider).

Jo

FWIW, I have a mate who has 5 X LG split systems in his house, all on the blink (gotta love Korean shit!!) and I have arranged for another mate who operates an air/con service business to look at them next week.
    As he's flat out at present, after all, it has been between 35 & 40 degrees in this area today, he may not have time to do them himself so as he knows my trade qualifications, has asked if I can go there with him which hopefully may mean that I'll get a crash course in updated air/con systems and he'll toss me the gear to do it whilst he hacks off on another larger job. I'm not the right shape or condition to be swinging off 12 foot extension ladders these days, but these units are ground mounted and the internal units mounted about 7 foot up the wall in an old Queenslander, so if this eventuates, I'll do the post Monday (or Tuesday if I'm too stuffed) unless Robmac wants to kick it off in the toad pond in between times.
    Methinks there's a need by looks of posts above and from what I remember from last years hot weather.
    Has anyone had any experience with the systems that Dimmeys sell ($399 for a 1.5HP split system) with the Mitsubishi and Toshiba compressors in them?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default Cheap Split Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    FWIW, I have a mate who has 5 X LG split systems in his house, all on the blink (gotta love Korean shit!!) and I have arranged for another mate who operates an air/con service business to look at them next week.
    As he's flat out at present, after all, it has been between 35 & 40 degrees in this area today, he may not have time to do them himself so as he knows my trade qualifications, has asked if I can go there with him which hopefully may mean that I'll get a crash course in updated air/con systems and he'll toss me the gear to do it whilst he hacks off on another larger job. I'm not the right shape or condition to be swinging off 12 foot extension ladders these days, but these units are ground mounted and the internal units mounted about 7 foot up the wall in an old Queenslander, so if this eventuates, I'll do the post Monday (or Tuesday if I'm too stuffed) unless Robmac wants to kick it off in the toad pond in between times.
    Methinks there's a need by looks of posts above and from what I remember from last years hot weather.
    Has anyone had any experience with the systems that Dimmeys sell ($399 for a 1.5HP split system) with the Mitsubishi and Toshiba compressors in them?

Alan S

Hi Alan,

Bunnings in Melb were selling "1.5 hp" units much the same deal the same deal.

I had a look and they were ex China - I really have had problems with Chinese
    a/c stuff. I was involved with some Gree units a few years and they were a real problem. No parts, lousy back up

Can you imagine trying to explain to a Dimmeys sales rep what part you need , filter or fan motor ?

If you run an account with BOC (was CIG)you can buy 1.5 reverse cycle wall hung split systems for $ 660 plus. They are Ascon units, made in Malaysia (the same factory that makes Mitsibishi). They also are real 1.5 hp units with ratings at sensible inside/ outside conditions.

They are well supported and in fact use the same electronic board across the whole range. They also run R22.

I bought one today for a room at home.

I'll let you know how it works out.

regards

Rob

Thread Information