Fuel Smell
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Fuel Smell

Icon5 Fuel Smell

Hi from up north.
    I,ve got a Xsara 1.8 16v '98 model. When starting from cold, a fuel smell comes from the a/c vents then dissipates after 30sec's. Any ideas??????

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by daintree
    Hi from up north.
    I,ve got a Xsara 1.8 16v '98 model. When starting from cold, a fuel smell comes from the a/c vents then dissipates after 30sec's. Any ideas??????
    I've had problems with the connection of the fuel line to the injector rail bleeding fuel very slowly... usually when the car is first started... could be that the initial pressure is enough to cause a few drops of fuel to leak out and once the engine is running the pressure drops a little so no more leak???

open the bonnet and turn on the ignition, poke around the injector rail and see if you see any fuel seepage.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by daintree
    Hi from up north.
    Hi Daintree,

Greetings from down south. Had a similar problem with my '96 Peugeot 306XR - alarmingly strong petrol smell in the mornings when I first started the car. Worse when the aircon was on. It lasted a bit longer than 30sec - a few minutes then disappeared for the rest of the day.

Took it to my mechanic but he couldn't find anything leaking or anything with a tell-tail petrol stain-probably because there is so much black plastic used under the bonnet and won't show a stain like cast metal or alloy can. It was one of those classic situations when the problem will not present itself when you want it to.

The smell continued. So in frustration I pulled over one morning as the fumes started to creep into the car, lifted the bonnet to see if I could spot the problem and found that a hose feeding one of the injectors was wet with fuel. Bingo!!!

I went back to the mechanic and asked him to replace all the original crimp style hose clamps with the screw tighten ones (can't remember their correct name just now) and presto all fuel smells disappeared.

Hope itís that simple for you.

Vince.

Thread Information