Engine conversion for R10
  • Register
  • Help

Default Engine conversion for R10

i've heard all about the 1.4L R12 going into the 10, and 1.3L also.

Advertisement

but i was wondering if there's any going around with larger engines, or even just different engines to the R12's, which have been transplanted into a 10.
    1968 :: R10

There may be more but this ones belongs to a friend of mine, Jimmy, in S Africa and it is not standard either, Toyota 4AGE.
    Frans
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engine conversion for R10-pict0020.jpg   Engine conversion for R10-pict0022.jpg   Engine conversion for R10-pict0070.jpg  
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

is that a R10 though? (reason i ask, cos if it isn't, the R10 may need more modification to put it in)

if u could get me some more information on how this conversion was done, i'd appreciate it.

cheers Frans

No it is in the Dauphine in the picture with R8/R10 crossmember and g/box.
    It will be even easier in a R10 because it is the same amount of work with more space available.
    Motor is fitted with adapter plate and original starter and flywheel and the g/box is fitted with a 16TS input shaft and 16TS clutch plate. Radiator to the front and discs allround. Full leather interior on BMW seats.
    Frans

Quote Originally Posted by Frans
    No it is in the Dauphine in the picture with R8/R10 crossmember and g/box.
    It will be even easier in a R10 because it is the same amount of work with more space available.
    Motor is fitted with adapter plate and original starter and flywheel and the g/box is fitted with a 16TS input shaft and 16TS clutch plate. Radiator to the front and discs allround. Full leather interior on BMW seats.
    Frans
    so the gearbox holds up ok with jus the input shaft and clutch plate from the 16TS? what about a bigger diff? i know the conversion from 10 to the 1.4 R12 engine, uses the bigger diff.

i don't wanna cut the front for a radiator, is there another way of mounting it? or can i jus get a larger one made up to still sit in the back?

Yes the box is OK but never slide your foot of the clutch with a lot of revs. Best is to slip the clutch and never do this to a cold box either. All metals are more brittle when cold and this happens when you wait for your turn in an event and the engine is back on temp but not the box. There is a good chance to break it.
    If you want to go for the 16 diff it will be better but a lot of additional work.

I can guarantee you that you will get overheating with the radiator in the back. Remember that the Kw will be more than double and the more Kw the more heat. You can't get enough air in at the back to cool things properly during a race or hard run up a hill. Maybe in Europe where the temps are milder.
    Frans

Thread Information