hissing sound from brakes (306)
  • Register
  • Help

Default hissing sound from brakes (306)

I was just wondering if this is normal?
    After a short drive around the block to test my brakes, three hard stops from 80 then a few k's to help cooling, i stepped out of the car just to open the garage door and I could hear a distinct hissing sound from my left front brake area. It sounded like a tyre deflating, but wasnt. What would it be?

There were no unusual fumes, and no fluids leaking.

BTW, the reason for testing my brakes is that they have started to feel really dead, and a bit spongey.

I suppose the other thing to mention is thaty after the few hard stops there was some serious fade creeping in.

Is it time for new fluid/pads?

I'm due for a service, but just want to see what other thing I should get checked out.

Cheers
    T

Advertisement

Do you have vented rotors at all?

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    I was just wondering if this is normal?
    After a short drive around the block to test my brakes, three hard stops from 80 then a few k's to help cooling, i stepped out of the car just to open the garage door and I could hear a distinct hissing sound from my left front brake area. It sounded like a tyre deflating, but wasnt. What would it be?

There were no unusual fumes, and no fluids leaking.

BTW, the reason for testing my brakes is that they have started to feel really dead, and a bit spongey.

I suppose the other thing to mention is thaty after the few hard stops there was some serious fade creeping in.

Is it time for new fluid/pads?

I'm due for a service, but just want to see what other thing I should get checked out.

Cheers
    T
    Its always a good time for brake fluid change. when was it done last (ever?) ?
    Start with the basics, pad thickness, fluid change and depending when it was done last caliper inspection for wear and tear on seal kit.

Assuming standard block size, 3 laps around the block should not under any circumstances cause brake fade or noticeably increase brake pedal sponginess.
    Additionally being a totally sealed system there Must not be any hissing from the calipers areas. Are you sure it isnt the booster leaking vaccum?
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Brake fluid was changed 10,000k's ago. I use DOT4 ( well, one step up from standard) and no, I dont have vented rotors.

I thought the hissing sound was a bit strange. When I get it serviced I shall make sure the brakes are properly bled, and new fluids. Might get some new pads too. SOunds like it worth getting checked out.

what pads you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    ) and no, I dont have vented rotors.

If its a 306 your talking about, then yes you do have vented rotors on the front.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

i think the 306 does have vented but not slotted or drilled

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    If its a 306 your talking about, then yes you do have vented rotors on the front.
    Sorry, I should have said, grooved. I was thinking grooved rotors helped release gas buildup between pad and disc surface, to reduce fade.

I'm thinking of going back to standard pads or Bendix or something. The EBC ones dont really add anything and I still have plenty of brake dust.

my friend had a hissing noise on his nissan 180 one night we went for a brisk drive through gaston gorge,karigai park and ol pac, ended up being a leaking caliper. fluid would get on the hot disk and evaporate with a bit of smoke.all fixed now but...
    the booster is on the drivers side so it would have been more noticeable there.
    bita useless info- avoid putting youre hand brake on after hard brisk drives so the heat from the pads and disks dont cook the pads and make them squeal or go hard and put a heat spot on the disks.

good luck
    i speed up for round abouts,corners and chikanes

You can warp the discs if you hold the foot pedal down for too long when they are hot... thats why you should always drive nice and calmy for a bit after to let everything cool down

The hissing may just be outgassing from the pad.
    Once bedded in take the pads out and inspect for cracks or chipping/spoiling of the bonded material.
    I should think this would happen only once after initial heating and not repeatedly.
    If this noise is evident after every run check any vacuum accumulators, (brakes or accessories).

If in doubt, arm yourself with a stick and drive out the serpents.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Thread Information